We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Sound System (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
803 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Quote:
On 2005-02-09 02:30, Candini wrote:
Thanks Dan. Here is the info on my unit:
235 mHz area VHF

Hey, man!
Your antenna should be about 24". As I said in an earlier post, EXACT length is not critical, but it should be pretty close.
Good luck!

Quote:
Im also curious if this can be plugged into the Fender 150 system and boost the power of the wireless?????

Not cetain what you mean, Candini. If you're asking if it will increase the RF stength of your existing wireless, so that you get fewer "drop outs", then the answer is no.

If you're asking if it is possible to interface your existing wireless with a Fender 150, then I think the answer is also no. In the description you posted, I don't see any mention of a connection to get the sound OUT of your existing system so that you can plug it into another one.

It also would not be possible to use YOUR wireless transmitter with the wireless receiver of a Fender system. I guess there is a tremndously remote possibility that the two are on the same frequency, but even then they're not likely to work properly together.

No good news there, I guess. Sorry, man. after all that, did I understand your question right with one of my three answers?!!! Smile
Dan McLean Jr
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Thanks Dan. I was considering boosting the volume (loudness) of my wireless mic by plugging my Hisonic into the Fender. Just the increase in volume instead of the 35 watts I have now.
Antony Gerard
View Profile
Veteran user
Kalamazoo, Michigan
363 Posts

Profile of Antony Gerard
Hello

Besides being a performing magician I also do the lighting and sound at the Fechters Finger Flicking Frolic (FFFF) convention in New York. I have worked with Nady, Samson, EV, Peavee, Audio 2000 and a host of others but due to price, service and more importantly quality I now use Nady exclusivly.

For a small venue their WA-120 at $199.95 or WA-1620U at $319.95 are great. They are available with either handheld, lavalier or headset microphone. They also come with an external jack for an external wired mic or CD player.

For a medium sized venue the 40 watt RPA-2 at $249.95 is good. There is also the 80 watt RPA-4 at $299.95 and the 120 watt RPA-6 at $399.95. The RPA systems are one piece systems and are on casters. None of the RPA systems come with a microphone.

For a larger venue there are many systems available from Nady. They do not come with the wireless microphone though. The 150 watt MPM4130 PA210 at $359.95 works well but comes in three pieces and is a bit heavy. The 100 watt ENSEMBLE PA 4180 at $389.95 comes in three pieces but they lock together for shiping and storage. The 150 watt ACCESS PSS-150 at $799.95 is a five channel sterio sound system with DSP effects, speakers, speaker stands, cable mic and cables. It all locks together with a handle and is on casters. A great system but with a higher price tag.

Nady has many other systems available. Too many to describe here. Please feel free to e-mail me for more details or for specific needs you may have at antonygerard@msn.com

Now for the mic. The two most often used mics are the VHF and UHF. In Most of the previous posts on this topic people were refering to VHF microphones because that is what most people are familiar with. For magic shows the UHF is far better. Not only does it not drop out it is a less noise mic. What I mean by less noise is the mic will not pick up the background noise that VHF mics will. You will have a much more clear sounding voice and no drop outs. A very good UHF wireless microphone system is the Nady UHF-10. It have a clear view range of up to 500 feet and great pick up. This is a great mic and is available in handheld, lavalier or headset models. The retail cost is $259.95

Among the many professional artists that converted to and use Nady are Jefferson Starship, Neil Young, Stevie Wonder, Bruce Springsteen, Toto, Heart, The Stones, Hole, Third Eye Blind, Pantera, Scorpions, Powermax 5K, Des'Ree, Alan Jackson, Bare Naked Ladies and Kenny Olson Kid Rock.

Nady Systems has been designing, manufacturing, and marketing wireless microphones since 1976. One of the first wireless innovators, Nady Systems has sold close to two million wireless systems worldwide, and continues to provide the most innovative and highest performing products at the most competitive prices.

In 1996, Nady Systems was recognized by the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences with an Emmy for Outstanding Technical Achievement in pioneering wireless microphone technology. Today, Nady Systems continues its tradition of research and innovation, and is further expanding its role in the professional audio arena.

Please feel free to contact me for more information or orders.

Take care and take cards
Antony Gerard
antonygerard@msn.com
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
803 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-02-10 17:06, Antony Gerard wrote:
... due to price, service and more importantly quality I now use Nady exclusivly.

Glad to hear you've found someting you like, Antony! I heard a compact Nady system recently, and I though it sounded pretty good!

Quote:
For magic shows the UHF is far better.

I beg to differ, Antony, but the fact that we do magic has nothing specifically to do with the choice between VHF & UHF. Wireless concerns are the same for every application or profession.

Quote:
Not only does it (a UHF system) not drop out it is a less noise mic. What I mean by less noise is the mic will not pick up the background noise that VHF mics will. You will have a much more clear sounding voice and no drop outs.

UHF does drop out. Comparing VHF & UHF systems of similar quality, UHF is actually MORE likely to drop out if physical obstacles are between you and your receiver, like walls, doorways (even open ones) or windows (even open ones). I sometimes choose VHF over UHF when I know physical obstacles will be present. The science involved is exactly the same as the science at play in a bar with loud music, when you can hear lots of bass (and no high frequencies) even when you're in the washroom. Longer wavelengths (bass sounds and VHF) are simpy better at navigating around/through obstacles than are shorter wavelengths (high sounds and UHF).

How much background noise is picked up has nothing to do with VHF vs UHF. It has to do with the mic's element. (For you non-audio-types, that's the ball at the end of the mic that you actually speak into.) Consider the RF signal to be a train, and the audio signal to be the passenger in the train. Well, the train carries the passenger, but the train definitely is NOT the same thing as the passenger: The train is simply the carrier, and whether the passenger is male/female, rich/poor, whatever/whatever, the passenger leaves the train not having changed since it boarded the train. The train doesn't care WHO boards it! It's job is the same.

Same thing goes when we step out of the analogy. The RF signal carries the audio signal, and delivers it to the PA with no regard for the type of mic used (omni/uni, dynamic/condenser, good/bad), and with no regard for the quality of the mic's audio signal. The RF signal's job is simply to carry whatever audio signal it is given.

Apples-to-apples isn't 100% possible, and there is always SOME minor colouration of the audio signal during RF transmission, but in short, RF has virtually no effect on audio --- simply how it is delivered.

The difference in sound characteristics, and the difference in pick-up of background noise, is due to microphone selection, and primarily due to the choice of omni vs uni, and the placement the mic. Remember that a VHF system might use any mic, and so might a UHF system. Audio & RF are two distinctly different things: Carrier & passenger.

Quote:
Among the many professional artists that converted to and use Nady are ...

I'm quite sure that none of these artists are using Nady PA's or the $200-$300 wireless systems. To be fair, maybe they're using the $700-$1400 U-1000 and U-2000 systems.

I hope I haven't come off as argumentative here, it's just that it's hard to disagree in print without seeming argumentative. I just thought some issues needed clarification and/or correction.

By the way, Antony, I certainly am quite envious that you get to hang at Fechter's. AWESOME!
Dan McLean Jr
Majiloon
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of Majiloon
Hi Dan-
I wanted to ask you since you are being overly specific- (just trying to be obnoxious) -- isn't the challenges of UHF compensated by the TRUE DIVERSITY- element of its reception?
After all- the function of the "wireless mic" falls on the 'reception'... and not the transmission...
or am I wrong- ?

And isn’t part of the advent of True Diversity—to compensate for the difficulties you outline for the UHF- thus making UHF slightly more effective in indoor or outdoor arenas?

The other question is – how much hair have you lost from the last picture I saw you in?

Cheers.
Kelly
No longer taking Private messages , thank you.
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
803 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-02-09 18:24, Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie wrote:
Your antenna should be about 24". As I said in an earlier post, EXACT length is not critical, but it should be pretty close.

There is another, and even more likely possibility. 12". Maybe the manufacturer's Web site can tell you which it is.

Quote:
On 2005-02-11 01:37, Majiloon wrote:
... isn't the challenges of UHF compensated by the TRUE DIVERSITY- element of its reception?

And isn’t part of the advent of True Diversity—to compensate for the difficulties you outline for the UHF- thus making UHF slightly more effective in indoor or outdoor arenas?

Hi, Kelly!
Good question.

There are different ways in which different manufacturers implement "diversity". Diversity is the use of two receiver antennae to help eliminate drop-outs at the receiver. These drop-outs are caused by the direct-path RF signal and reflected versions of that same signal arriving at the antenna and partially, or even fully, canceling each other.

An "antenna diversity system" constantly monitors the antennas to see which is providing the stronger signal at any given moment. The receiver then uses the strongest signal.

A "true diversity" system uses two separate receivers housed in a single device. Whichever antenna/receiver pair produces the best signal (not necessarily the strongest) is the one that is used.

In an RF mic system, the use of two receiver antennae connotes a diversity scheme, and it's usually "true diversity". This applies to both VHF & UHF systems, and therefore the benefits of true diversity apply to both VHF & UHF.
~~~~~~~~~~
A little more on the VHF vs UHF thing.

Three big advantages to using VHF are that, a) it's less susceptible to drop-outs caused by obstacles & reflections than UHF, b) it costs less to buy than UHF, and c) batteries last longer.

VHF, however, is more susceptible to interference from other wireless sources, like other mic systems or TV broadcasts. The dynamic range & frequency response are also better in UHF, but I don't think that either is of any real concern compared to microphone selection (omni/uni, high/low quality, etc...). VHF also has a lower number of frequencies from which to choose.

On the flip side, UHF is more susceptible to interference due to obstacles & reflections, and less susceptible to interference from other wireless sources. There are also lots of UHF systems available with multiple frequency selection, and even several that will "scan" for available frequencies, and I don't recall seeing either quality in VHF.

Bottom line is that the choice between UHF & VHF probably usually comes down to two things: cost & application. If you're working indoors, where there's little chance of interference (like in a basement, or not in a big city), and if there aren't any other VHF mics running, and if price is a concern, VHF will probably be just fine. If you are working in a city and/or outdoors and/or with other RF mics, then I would suggest a frequency-selectable, "scanning" UHF system. Anywhere in-between, and the judgment call becomes tougher.

If you can possibly afford it, go with a frequency-selectable, "scanning" UHF system, simply because it will help to ensure usage in a variety of applications. Ain't nothin', wrong with the RF quality or sound quality of a VHF system (for spoken-word use), but the ability to change to a useable freq will prove very valuable at some point, and that spells UHF. Spend it if you got it!

Quote:
The other question is – how much hair have you lost from the last picture I saw you in?

That's pretty personal, Kelly, but I certainly don't mind talikg about it with you fine folks. HEY, I'm wearing a TIE in both photos! How can you even SEE my chest hair?!!!
Dan.
Dan McLean Jr
Majiloon
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of Majiloon
Dan-

I’m going to read that a hundred times… I am afraid that you are going to have to keep your technical answers down to a minimum of say--- 5 or 6 words from now on… man- I think I pulled a ligament in my head – and now- when I sneeze- I have to lift my leg.

Just kidding of course- thanks for the clarification-
I’m sorry about your hair- I mean – I’m sorry that I brought it up--- I’m beginning to have the same problem…

By the way- is that you selling the hairbrush on E-Bay?

I know who to go to for technical information- Thanks a bunch!
Cheers
Kelly Duro
No longer taking Private messages , thank you.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Great info here...Dan,

How can I boast my 35 watts for the wireless and CD on my Hisonic PA/Amp? I just want to increase the volume of each, not the reception of the wireless. Was thinking of getting the Fender 150 later and just run a line between the Hisonic and the Fender.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Sound System (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL