We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Appollo SOund System Saved My Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
Yesterday I did 4 school shows. 2 at each campus. The first school went great and the second one...well?

I arrive at the second school and set my show up. The last thing I always do is set my pa system up, do a sound check and then call for the students. However, my pa system was giving me no volume through the microhpne whatsoever. I checked various channels and nothing! It was dead!

I looked all over the stage and there was nothing but hand held micophones with cords attached. I can't use a handheld mic. in my show- it just does not work. I went to the office and asked the office staff if they had any kind of headset and lapel mic. system and the principal said. "yes, but it is very small- you are more than welcome to use it."

She brought out a system made by a company called Appollo. The thing weighed about 3-4 lbs. at most. It had a lapel mic and belt pack. I thought, "No way this is going to work for 400 kids." BOY WAS I WRONG! This little thing was awesome! I am not a big fan of lapel mics. as I am use to a headset but I had to take what I could get at the time. I put this thing up on a table that I usually have my pa on so that it is above the kids heads. I turned it on and was blown away. The volume was only up half way and every single student heard the show loud and clear! This was done in a Caféteria!

After both shows were done I went to repack the unit into the box and return it to the office. I looked at the side of the box and was even more blown away to learn that the sytem I had just used was 7 watts of power. Yes- I said 7 watts of power.

Upon getting home I called a fellow performer who lives about 2 hours away just to talk and see how things were going. He told me that he has been using Appollo for 4 years now and has never ever had a problem. He uses their bigger unit at 25 watts and says that he used it to 400 kids as well.

Anyone else using an Appollo system? If so, what do you think? I do not know the model # of what I used in the show but my buddy uses the 5400 model which comes with a built in cassette tape deck. Wow! I am ordering one for sure!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7370 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Todd -

I've been using an Apollo 2060 system, with a built in cassette deck, for about 15-20 years now.

My system doesn't seem to like wireless mics very much, though, and didn't come with one.

Here's their website: http://www.apollopresentations.com/home.html

- Donald

P.S. Was this the one you used? Model 5000

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigat......eTab=2#A
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
Yup- this is the one! This little thing is simply amazing and as I stated, I thought no way this is going to work. It may be small and not look like much but it works and sounds great!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13339 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I'll appologize in advance but as usual this sounds absolutely absurd to me.
I don't see how this is possible at all. 400 loud-mouthed kids with a small and cheap 7 watt PA.

If you're ordering one of these, what are you going to do with the Paso50 that you were previously saying was the greatest thing ever? It appears that it does not work now and from recent accounts it does not work for other people as well??

You keep buying cheap amps and raving about them but then you turn around and buy another cheap amp and rave about it.

My feeling is that if you really liked the amp you bought it would always work and you'd stick with it. For a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.

I think you should do no more raving about cheap amps until you've used the same one for 5 years.

I also think you should have someone stand in the back of the room you perform in (or the worst possible location) and listen and give you honest advice about how it really sounds compared to a really good PA.

BTW, The appollo page suggests 8 watts for 25 people.

Would someone please knock some sense into one of us (me or todd).

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
Frank....

The system I used actually was not the Paso Unit as you suggested. It was actually a Mipro unit that I have as a backup for my Paso. I took it with me instead of the Paso because I only had so much room in my case due to the various shows that I was doing over a week span on the road. The Paso unit has never failed me yet but it is a tiny bit bigger and would not fit in my case so I took the Mipro unit. I have read what others have said about the Paso and I have never experienced what they have!

I have bought, owned and used just about every pa system on the market. You are right, some are cheap and worthless and others are great!

As far as something like this not being able to work. I think what it boils down to is our shows and our performing style. You may need 2 speakers and lots of heavy stuff in your show and that is great for YOU. I however can get away with something smaller and it works for ME.

I appreciate your opinions but disagree!
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
I did a school show last night in Dallas and was told that they had a pa system that I could use for my show. It too was an Apollo but a different model than the one I used previously. It had a built in tape deck and wireless lapel mic as well. I used it and it worked great! About 75 kids and 75 adults in a Caféteria.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7370 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I'm sure you'll find it on this page.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
Yes- it is on this page. However, I am going to stick with what I am using which is the Paso system and an anchor system as well. The Apollo works great but I don't think I want to spend anymore money on another system.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1597 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
I use this one for my smaller shows: http://www.francisav.com/minivox.htm

I mount it on a tripod and use a cordless headset mic. It'll handle a 300 person crown witout any problems. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Appollo SOund System Saved My Show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL