The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » My Magi-Pro Portable PA (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mghia
View Profile
Veteran user
Kymystical
387 Posts

Profile of mghia
Hi,
This is not an advertisment really. I had been writing about my quest for a portable PA that had quality sound but I did not want to spend over $500 to get it.
You may have read my contributions to the Café on the Pyle Pro and First act systems I tested.

Well I finally put some info up on my portable mini PA (self-powered) and have done a couple of months testing.
Check it out and tell me what you think!
http://www.geocities.com/howinfo/magi-propa/Magipro-PA.htm

If anyone is interested in PDF plans I will work up a set for $20 with all sources and dimensions with build tips.

I built the PA with compainon speaker after trying to find a lower cost solution with high quality for a portable PA.

While it is a bit heavier and a tad larger than I had hoped, I built it with professional level techiques so it would last. By the time I put it all together, the higher grade components were just heavier than originally planned.
However, Quality in equals Quality out.

The wireless mic and portable CD player sit in the top compartment. THe compartment is sealed and wired for 12V power and RCA stereo out put for the music.
This leads to the second compartment which has all incoming/outgoing wires. I will try to get a photo up. WHile a little more busy than a back wired unit, I wanted to not mess with the core amp. So I added a door to keep it all nice and neat.
The S805a had 12V aux power which works perfect power most amps. I used a cable with interchangable ends so I can keep upgrading mics and not cut the end.

The CD and Nady reciever I owned and did not fit side by side with easy access. However the compartment is deep enough to turn the mic on narrow end and still reach the volume control and if I bump it out 1/2" of the box I cna use the anntenna.

In the end I am searching for a new wireless that will have all controls in the front. SO far it is not much of a big deal and I have not needed to pull out my antenna and I may think about upgrading to tiny MP3. My goal was to be able to turn on, set the mic and music level without removing the contents. This will allow a faster set and pack up.
I am close and smaller units would proably allow for this. The compartment was built to fit most wireless recievers.

The bottom left compartment holds 10-D batteries or a ni cad pack. AMplivox uses high capacity niCad which are pricey. The 10-D batteries they claim over 150 hours of use and so far it is living up to the claim. This contributes to some of the PA weight but I guess could be changed to a compact unit if I desire to save a lb or two.

That is one drawback with the S805 series, they do not have a volt meter or low battery indicator. Not a huge problem for me since I have a mini tester to make sure I do not go below 12V.

I am still testing the performance in various locations. There is a pole mount so one could get more use out of it. I used it at a Blue and Gold the other day on a stage and in a large CAFATORIUM. There were about 150 people spread out to the back of the room. Due to the very large size of the room with high ceilings,
the output did work but I had no illusions it was as good as a more powerful system.
However it would have been super duper if using a dynamic mic or headset.
The woofer and tweeter are designed to push voice and my limits seem to be more with the lapel mic than the output volume.

Also I only brought the one unit. I did build the compaion speaker and would have had a wider coverage by using the second channel.

Power is only 12.5 watts per channel but 105-110 db max SPL! The 25 watt per channel rating is if I used 4 ohm drivers. I used 8 ohm so that I could run it with external amps. That is, in a pinch, I can plug into someones AMP and get 85W peak power!
OR I can run 2 speakers on the same channel to get a 4 ohm load which then the amp would put up the 25 watts.
The cross over used will also take a 4 ohm woofer if one wanted to use drivers that are even more effiecient.
I used the most effiecnt the budget would allow. AND the great thing is that by going with the 8 ohm but high effienciey, I get the same output for less power which means it stretches the battery life.

One could run 4 speakers (2 per channel ) if one wanted to build them to my specs. You do not get more power per say but with each in crease in driver area you get 3db more output.

I was going to build two of these but just do not have the time. I still have one S805a on the Café for sale and I also have a new portable CD player with wireless mic also available.
The amp would normally be a large cost but since I bought the amps used, I can sell the other one for only $75! The amp sells for $275+ new and the one for sale was checked out by amplivox.
There are some other amp kits you could build however there will be some more work and I have not tested it out.

If interested in the amp and plans, let me know. By the amp and I will give you a set of plans when finished for free.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » My Magi-Pro Portable PA (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL