The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Exposed Street Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
chrisgq
View Profile
New user
WV/Florida
58 Posts

Profile of chrisgq
I just saw a copy of the show Secrets of Street Magicians Finally Revealed that the FOX network aired at some point. What a bummer it is that stuff like this is aired for everyone to see. I know that, personally, when I saw the R***n for the first time I was floored. It is/was a great utility and now it's out there for the lay person to know.

I know that there are other places where things are exposed, but I felt like ranting about this since I just saw it.
I'm done now.
Thanks for listening.
football2136
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of football2136
Magical Musician
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Magical Musician
You have a right to fume chrisgq.
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
Heck, I still use the raven, and I saw that show. Apparently no one remembers, or cares enough to remember.
Charlie the Tuna
View Profile
Regular user
Baltimore Maryland
111 Posts

Profile of Charlie the Tuna
I agree, thankfully it appears that most people missed the Fox special.
Charlie
Charlie,
A Magician with Good Taste.

Only perform an illusion once. The first time is magical, the second is an education.
acchessor
View Profile
Elite user
Nebraska
402 Posts

Profile of acchessor
Apparently Fox does this just to get publicity. I feel that this is a travesty to magic. Sure, the Internet has sources revealing magic (which I am part of), but to just turn on the TV and see illusions exposed is just dispicable.
organicmagician
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
345 Posts

Profile of organicmagician
Yeah, this special was on again tonight. They gave away a bunch of decent stuff. But, nothing more than became publicly available after David Blaine's special.
organicmagician
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
345 Posts

Anyone know which rising card gimmick he was using with the counterweight thing built into a half deck?
organicmagician
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
345 Posts

Just for those keeping score, they revealed:

Voodoo Ashes in Palm Trick
Raven
use of a Short Card-Type Gimmick in a Riffle Force
Arm Spinning Move (someone sells it as disjointed)
above-mentioned Levitating Card Gimmick
Pick a 2-Digit Number Mentalism Bit
2-Card Monte (Including 3x l**t, top xnge, etc)
TT Spirit Writer
"Circle Tear" with Ashes Message on Arm
Bringing a Fly back to life
A really complicated and ridiculous looking watch setting gimmick (kinda cool, I guess, but who would want to carry it for this one effect?)
M5
Cigarette Through Quarter (with Shuttle Pass)
Tearing a head off a dove
Balducci Levitation

The magician is so-so on technique.
state
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of state
Only people who are into magic remember this stuff. If you perform well, this will not affect you at all.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-01-24 06:50, state wrote:
Only people who are into magic remember this stuff. If you perform well, this will not affect you at all.

While I agree with this statement specifically, in general I think exposure is a bad thing. Here's a little something I wrote a few weeks ago about it,and why I feel that exposure hurts magic.

At it's heart, exposure is anti-magical. Anything that is anti-magical hurts magic at some level!

Quote:
On 2008-01-15 05:26, gaddy wrote:
The problem with exposure on tv is not that it shows the punters how we do what we do. The problem is that it gives those who view it a tangible explanation for the performance of magic at all. And it does it in the wickedly believable medium that TV is... ("I saw it on the TV! it must be true!")

Often (don't kid yourselves...) a spectator will have a vague idea as to how they think a trick may be done. But that's just it- a vague feeling without any credibility. Hopefully, we use showmanship to disarm them and dispel any cares as to the "how" of the trick before that feeling grows into certitude.

Under the influence of a tv exposure show, an audience member "knows" how a trick is done as soon as they can recall it from their memory- regardless if they get it right or not.
In their minds it's a done deal, and you've got to be one helluva showman to knock that certitude out of their heads. That's the problem!

Essentially, you must be better than, or radically different from, what they've seen on TV.

Ask yourself honestly; Are you?

The reality is that there is nothing to be done about this kind of BS. Despite the lackluster ratings such shows usually get, unoriginal tv producers will always dredge up whatever they think will sell a few more deodorant commercials during slow times or ratings seasons. If for some ungodly reason "mimes and jugglers" became the darlings of the media of the moment- I'd be willing to bet my left 'one that some moronic producer would offer up a "Secrets of the Master Street Mimes Revealed" TV show- complete with an explanation of "The Lean by Doug Malloy" explaining how those crazy mimes "do it" .

TV has killed quite a few other forms of live entertainment.

Magic still hobbles on, but its relegation to a (mostly) second or third tier form of entertainment is indicative of the problem all magicians face.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I remember when this show first aired, I was DEVASTATED!

Then I got over it & have been fine ever since.

The only trouble I personally saw from this show was when I was watching a friend of mine doing table hopping at a restaurant. He did a coin vanish off of a ladies hand, her husband told my friend that he was going to have to tell her how it was done. He simply smiled & said ok!

It didn't treat it like a big deal & continued his set.

Mike
Darth Ewok
View Profile
Loyal user
Greeneville TN
228 Posts

Profile of Darth Ewok
They should have titled that show "lets try and destry David Blaine". it seemed like they just picked tricks from his first tv sepcial to expose
my real name is Kevin Harrison

http://www.myspace.com/magicalclerk
kingjay
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of kingjay
Fox execs! I have a show idea.... "we need ratings...revealled"
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
Quote:
On 2007-03-07 20:37, acchessor wrote:
Apparently Fox does this just to get publicity. . . .

I don't know how popular such shows are, but they must be extreme cheap, even among competing 'reality shows'. Exposing magic requires no wirters, no real performer, just someone wiht a camcorder! And the network, MyChannel here, shows it over and over as long as they can get a sponser. Should its a temporary shot in the arm for a fagile economy to generate cash with so little effort or talent.
"Oh look, we have created enchantment." Blanche DuBois
Bedford
View Profile
Special user
Louisville, KY
675 Posts

Profile of Bedford
There has always been exposure of magic effects, going back at least to Reginald Scott's "Discovery of Witchcraft" in the mid-1500's. I've been practicing magic for about 35 years and there have been exposures as far back as I can remember. I perform both corporate shows and shows for the general public and I can say that not once in my career have I had someone reference an exposure show. Bottom line, the magic isn't in your tricks, it's in your personality and performance.
The Alchemy Moon Collective
Find us on Gemini Artifacts
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Here's to the fact that people can't recall everything that happens in their lives, including just how magic tricks work. That, and the fact that many people are not aware that a particular show/episode is coming up on TV and so miss it. "You can fool all of the the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time." Now, let's get back to our magic!
The presentation makes the magic.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The exposure bites and is way wrong.

Don't overestimate the attention span of the American public. Wait a couple weeks and nobody remembers. Heck on news cycle is enough.

We may actually not help by being upset and drawing attention to it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2008-01-23 22:15, organicmagician wrote:
Anyone know which rising card gimmick he was using with the counterweight thing built into a half deck?

I had that one. I don't know who it belonged to, I got it at Tannen's, I don't remember a name on the instructions. Worked really well until the tape wore out. I couldn't find anything that worked as well.

I might get another one! I doubt anybody remembers what was on the Fox special.

Quote:
On 2008-02-10 13:10, Bedford wrote:
There has always been exposure of magic effects, going back at least to Reginald Scott's "Discovery of Witchcraft" in the mid-1500's. I've been practicing magic for about 35 years and there have been exposures as far back as I can remember. I perform both corporate shows and shows for the general public and I can say that not once in my career have I had someone reference an exposure show. Bottom line, the magic isn't in your tricks, it's in your personality and performance.

Scott at least had a legitimate reason for his book. It wasn't just to generate sales, it was to try and put a stop to the arrest and torture of people on witchcraft charges. And I believe he had in the "magic section" an apology to any performer whose business got hurt by the exposure.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
jquackc
View Profile
Loyal user
JC - Denver
218 Posts

Profile of jquackc
JC

www.jquackc.com
myspace.com/jquackc

It's coming...QUACK... a new ebook from the fallible mind of JC... April 2048... groundbreaking material... limited edition... only 200 will be sold. Starting at $47... Preorder your copy toda
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Exposed Street Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL