The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Inane Question From A Non-Card Worker (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Yeah, so I'm not a hotshot when it comes to prestidigation with pasteboards, but bear with me, huh? I came across a neat bit from Peter Duffie called the "Seance Shuffle" which would go well with my Bizarre work -- but it uses a Stripper Deck. I'm currently developing card skill and not sure that I want a one-trick gaffed deck; can a Stripper Deck be used as a straight deck?

Okay, okay, quit laughin' and answer the question already Smile

Leland
uri
View Profile
New user
Israel
95 Posts

Profile of uri
Yes.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
A Stripper Deck is probably the most versatile gaffed deck there is. I believe anything that can be done with a regular deck can be done with a stripper deck, of course the reverse is not true.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
If you are interested to know if you can use Stripper Deck in your act, it would be most sure way to buy one and try using it.

Hideo Kato
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Yes if you buy a good quality deck. Some of the stripper decks out there look like a beaver took a chunk out of the cards, the decks are so poorly made.

Jack Shalom
Malus
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Malus
Yes, I am pretty sure you can use it as a normal deck of cards (even for playing poker)
I once let the spectators take a look with my stripper deck, but they never found a thing. Smile
Malus.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Without tipping the gaff, I'll just mention that the stripper deck can be used for a locations, culls, forces, and many, many tricks, and the great thing is, you don't have to use the same card over and over for every trick, a la "Svengali".
It will also pass a cursory inspection, if you feel you need to offer one.
As said above, get a good deck, not Marshall Brodein's TV Magic cards. If you have a real magic shop near you, buy it there and let the demonstrator get you started. They are available in Bicycle backs, probably the best choice. Oh, and some of the old books even tell you how to make your own. (probably a mistake)
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Thank you for the input, Magi Smile

I will get a good quality Stripper Deck and start using it. Spectators don't get to maul my props (hey, are they allowed to play with the stethoscope when they visit a doctor????), but I wondered whether Strippers could only be used for effects dependent on that Stripper ability.

Thanks for clearing away this mistaken perception,
Leland
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
As a point of interest, the Bicycle factory made strippers are terrific!

Julie
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Read 'Encyclopedia of Card Tricks', you will find a chapter about Stripper Deck. If you Google, you will find books on Stripper Deck.

Hideo Kato
stepseven
View Profile
New user
Staffs, UK
54 Posts

Profile of stepseven
I too am new to the stripper deck but can concur with the point about bicycle-made strippers being good to handle (and pretty cheap too).

With the 'gimmick' deactivated a stripper handles just like a straight deck* so you can compound any existing techniques you have with the gimmick. I'm sure you'd find the stripper deck harmonising with your developing card skills (as I have).

*You'd probably want to avoid swivel cuts though Smile
+ev
blink_inc
View Profile
Loyal user
Hamilton
278 Posts

Profile of blink_inc
Yup. swivel cuts are a bad idea.

Guys, I found a bridge sized one at Walmart and had to see the quality. I was really disappointed as the cards are relly tough to strip. They are bikes but really turned me off the stripper.

Are the poker sized decks that I would buy at my bricks and mortar shop of better quality?
I am a Sankey addict....please, help me!

My name is Will, my company is Blink, an experience in transposition.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
My bad, Magi -- the trick I attributed to Peter Duffie is actually from Peter KANE, published in "The Best Of Close-Up Magic by Britain's Leading Magicians."

Thanks again for the input,
Leland
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I do believe that there are fine, medium and deep cut strippers available somewhere.
The fine cut is not so easy to feel.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
There's also more than one kind of stripper, and some of those are far harder to detect than the standard "side stripper".
dbolan
View Profile
Loyal user
Carrollton, Georgia
274 Posts

Profile of dbolan
Quote:
A Stripper Deck is probably the most versatile gaffed deck there is...

Has anyone had any luck using a Stripper Deck for other effects as well, i.e. a Stripper in an Osterlind Breakthrough arrangement could do Breakthrough, Stripper and regular deck tricks? Bad example, of course, as most stripper effects would scramble the deck.

???

Dave
"I didn't want him to feel that he could drive the lane with impunity."

- David Robinson
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
While most stripper decks have the "strip" along the long side of the cards, there are a few made that have it along the short side. Just make sure which side the "strip" is on.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
DanielSkahen
View Profile
New user
NY
64 Posts

Profile of DanielSkahen
I used a stripper deck for the first year that I was into magic. It's a tremendous aid, especially when you're "not a hotshot when it comes to prestidigation with pasteboards" - haha, great phrase - and never interferes with performance.
- Dan Skahen
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Inane Question From A Non-Card Worker (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL