The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Scripting around labials? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
When I was training as an interpreter, one of the exercises we did was to take an English phrase and interpret it into Russian 3-5 different ways that all mean the same thing. Something like "close the door" for example, could be interpreted directly, or as "don't leave the door open." I've been toying with writing scripts like this to avoid those more difficult sounds. Until I get better at them.

What do you think?

Best,
Jim
alexa
View Profile
Veteran user
NJ
393 Posts

Profile of alexa
It's a great idea, something I was going to try, but I would've gotten too frustrated. If you won't, go for it! Try it! Let us know how it works.

Alexa
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Jim:

B's and P's are not all that hard. Here's a great way to practice. Get a tape recorder and say B and P words into the mic using your puppet's voice, but moving your lips to make the labials. Leave a little pause after each word. Now, listen to the tape, and repeat the words without moving your lips. (Watching yourself in a mirror will help). Listen as carefully as you can to make your ventriloquial "D's" sound like "B's" and your "T's" sound like "P's." For instance, notice how by flattening your tongue against the roof of your mouth, you make the D sound more like a B.

I never write around labials. Attack 'em head on, and they soon become easy.

Good luck!

Bob
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Jim:

I agree with Bob. Just keep working at it and you will get better. I took the time that I would have spent rewriting dialogue and used it to practice the labials. It can be frustrating but you'll get it eventually.

Doug
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
Good points. I visited the learning section at the Axtell site and with what is there, they are sounding much better already. Not anywhere near good enough, but better.

Thanks
Jim
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Does anyone know if there is a program in windows that will allow me to record myself so I can practice my ventriloquism?
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
Under Start> Programs> Accessories > Entertainment > Sound recorder.

It won't be studio quality or anything, but it will record. Also, someone just mentioned a free program in another thread that should work too

QUOTE:
You can find Audacity at http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Make sure to get the 1.2.6 version as the newest version is in beta yet and unless you have some experience I would steer clear of that yet.

Good Luck!

ENDQUOTE

Best,
Jim
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Jim,

There's nothing wrong with what you are doing. I still try to write around certain things myself. You will get better, but it helps you gain confidence more quickly if you don't have to worry so much about lip movement all the time. And, having said that, don't worry about perfect lip control, in the beginning anyway. There is more to it than just not moving your lips. Make the figure stay 'alive' and most eyes will stay on it instead of your lips. I'm not saying to not strive for perfection, but don't put too much concern on it in the beginning. If you wait for perfect lip control it may cause frustration and take you a long time to build up enough confidence to perform live. Don't take this wrong.....you need to be really ready before attempting a live show, but doing things like avoiding words where you are having problems with will help you get ready sooner.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
Regan,
Thanks. I am considering something I read on here where the act started out with the puppet whispering to the vent and then asking to be given a voice. A short dialog along the lines of "I can't help you talk, they'll see my lips move," followed by getting the children to say it's ok if your lips move. Something along those lines, I'll have to look up the post again.

Anyway, I thought about something like that followed up with the very best lip control I can muster. It will be quite a while before I really perform vent anyway. I have a show (the very first) on 17 March, but there will be no vent there as I won't be ready for it.

Thanks again
Jim
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I have been a vent since 1973 and as much as possible, I always write around the labials, especially in those opening minutes.

In the first few minutes people watch the vent not the puppet. If they don't see you lips move, they can relax and watch the puppet. Don't ask me why, but they do.

If you first few minutes are worked around the labials so you have little or no lip movement, people will go "Wow he's good" and then enjoy the show.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
An example would be

See you later...

rather than

Good Bye.

Vent doing commercial for Gudweiser...

Gottle of Geer Gottle of Geer...

but I digress once again.....

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
Uh Oh! I thought it was Dottle of Deer! I need to read closer!

:)
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
Well here I go again, reviving old threads.....

While I agree with those who wrote saying not to avoid them when writing a script, as a rule, I don't, except at the beginning of the script.
I remember when I started out, reading somewhere suggesting to write the first few lines without labials, for that beginning period where everyone's eyes are totally on the vent's lips. That's the way I started writing, and it became a habit to do it that way, but with that said, I wouldn't sacrifice a really good opening line for the sake of avoiding a labial.
As for the rest of a script, I never give it a thought, and I'm glad I don't, I think it would be a monumental pain trying to write a whole script avoiding using words with labials in it.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Scripting around labials? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL