The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » A Plan for Limiting Exposure on the Web (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
thatmatt
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of thatmatt
While I understand that your intentions are good, I do not agree with abusing websites just to keep the secrets of magic tricks. I mean, just think about it: flagging YouTube videos as inappropriate and deleting Wikipedia articles would be a form of online bullying, and possibly illegal...
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2007-03-01 18:11, C. Loubard wrote:
Hagerman I'll tell you what, If I put up videos, "of me", exposing magic secrets and you headed the charge to flag them, I would personally try to make your life miserable... You have no right to take my constitutional right away.

instead, why don't you take the lead and have everyone stop buying magic. This will discourage the authors from further publishing books and videos, perhaps.

Interesting example that flew past everyone it seems. Before I comment however I will say that despite good intentions, exposure simply cannot be stopped. But that said, I have NEVER had someone call me on an effect in a performance and say, "I know how that's done." I HAVE heard comments like, "I saw something like that on YouTube, but the way YOU did it fooled me." Sure, some people may know how effects are done and choose to remain silent. But, magic secrets have been accessible in one way or another since Reginald Scot.

Now, I do NOT believe that ANYONE has the "constitutional right" to expose the intellectual property of another. There is no right to theft and if a person would decide to do a series of videos exposing the effects in a book, DVD, whatever, that person has stolen the intellectual property of its creator.

Back to the OP: even IF an initiative could be started, have you considered the time investment? YouTube even on its own is massive and there are creative ways to hide what you are doing by creative tagging. What really surprises me is that nobody ever mentions Usenet. Believe me, if something is available digitally, it can be found on Usenet. Usenet has no central servers, and it's anonymous. It's both a useful tool for legitimate purposes AND a nefarious means to steal. Games have been and still are pirated by just knowing how what types of search terms to use. I feel your pain man, but, I would agree with the point that was made in this thread that it is mostly [lazy] "magicians" that do searches on how it's done. I don't LIKE exposure, but, I do think it is not as widespread as game, music, and movie pirating. Think of it this way: most non-magicians know the names of perhaps two magicians and ONE of those names will frequently be "Houdini."
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
"Fighting" it is possibly the wrong way to go about it. Trying to bat them down when they pop up is just going to motivate them further.

Perhaps try approaching them directly. That is, for example, kids uploading "tutorials" on YouTube. Most of these kids just want to share. This is their community. They don't have, or understand, the idea of gathering at conventions, or local shops. Their "tutorials" are, often, not always, basically their equivalent of jamming.

Approach them with an extended open hand, rather than a closed fist.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20525 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
How about magicians who expose magic because they suck so bad that they give away secrets? That does FAR more damage than any exposure video.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
rogerpierre
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of rogerpierre
Back in 1933 Camel cigarettes put a little yellow book under the cellophane around their cigarette boxes, each "yellow book" exposed the act of a well known magician. They called the series "It's Fun to be Fooled. It's More Fun to Know." One of the magicians in a stroke of genius, would go on stage and say to his audience, "I know you know how I used to do this trick, try and figure out how I do it now!" And just go and do it the way the Yellow Book had explained, no one could guess.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » A Plan for Limiting Exposure on the Web (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL