The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Card Flicking (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dabek
View Profile
Regular user
United Kingdom
142 Posts

Profile of Dabek
Recently I was shown some card flicking by a magician named Colin Rose.
I can flick the cards up to catch them. But I am having problems when it comes to flicking them high or over the audience.
Can anyone help????

Thanks
Dabek
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
What you talking about is called 'SCALING'.
Howard Thurston was supposedly deadly accurate and could scale cards high into the balcony of a theatre. Ricky Jay is quite proficient in this area as well. You might find his book, 'Cards As Weapons' right up your alley. It is pricey, but worth it.

Chad
aznviet6uy
View Profile
Veteran user
Santa Rosa, CA
315 Posts

Profile of aznviet6uy
Flick it exactly at a 45 degree angle upwards. By doing this it should come back.

-Chris
shhh..... I see Magicians.....
***Kev***
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ***Kev***
The key here is practice, mate.
It will take weeks of practice to build up speed and height on the card scaling.
(I hate calling it card flicking. It sounds tacky Smile )
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
A good tip here is to put your body into the throw so it flies very high.
Is this the Dabek that won the young stage magician of the year? Smile
RisingManipulator
View Profile
New user
California
1 Post

Profile of RisingManipulator
Heres a helpful website that will show you the basics of card throwing. It also has videos so If you don't understand the text.

http://www.geocities.com/mvvenrooij/master.html
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
There are many scaling techniques. Which did you learn?
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4861 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
There is a distinction between tossing a single card at a time into the audience and launching it from the deck which you are holding in one hand. The method I use is similar to the Long Distance Spinner which is described in Tarbell. Without using a TT or any other aid, I can spin the cards out of the deck from the stage well into the audience. You can get greater distance using the various card scaling techniques, but I think this looks more magical and less like track and field. I have described this and another original spinning move in prior posts. Try a search if interested.
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
Also Rick Smith Jr is coming out with a DVD soon. It will be on card throwing, flicking, scaling, etc.

He taught me the basics of card stunts about a year ago and all I can tell you is that he's a great teacher. I recommend this DVD as soon as it hits the market!

Evan
CardThrower
View Profile
New user
Cleveland, OH
18 Posts

Profile of CardThrower
Hey everyone,
The video on card throwing entitled: How to Throw Cards, Flicks, Nicks and other tricks with cards will be released in two weeks. Check the website for information and to see the cover. Also check out Last Call with Carson Daly on August 8th on NBC at 1:30AM to see more card flicking and stunts on national tv.

http://ricksmithjr.com/news/index.php?article=21

Rick Smith Jr. Smile
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Rick:
I look forward to seeing you on TV as well as checking out your DVD release. Congrats and much success with it.

In regards to ways to scale cards, there are many. I would say to try them all and experiment with it. It is a certain feel one must acquire before you can do it consistently.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
548 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
Quote:
On 2003-07-24 13:50, RisingManipulator wrote:
Here's a helpful website that will show you the basics of card throwing. It also has videos so if you don't understand the text.

http://www.geocities.com/mvvenrooij/master.html
Thanks for the website. I never could really get it work, even with Jeff's advice for the AoCM but when I applied a little pressure to bend the cards a little (as shown on the site) I can now get the card to start coming off the deck now. Not very high yet (only a few inches Smile ), but hey, at least it's starting to work. Woohoo!
CardThrower
View Profile
New user
Cleveland, OH
18 Posts

Profile of CardThrower
The DVD video entitled Flicks, Tricks, and Other Nicks with cards is finished. We are waiting on a simple threat about being sued by someone on throwing a card into a watermelon. Soon as the threat is over the video will be distributed. You can reserve a copy today at http://www.ricksmithjr.com

Rick Smile
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Nobody has the right to claim the watermelon card throw, because I know of many people who can do that. Whoever is threatening is sick. I look forward to your DVD!!

Oh, by the way, I've been experimenting with launching cards via rubber band slingshot. I've found that I can get them VERY far. For more details, email me.
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
Quote:
On 2003-09-13 03:17, Jordini wrote:
Nobody has the right to claim the watermelon card throw, because I know of many people who can do that. Whoever is threatening is sick. I look forward to your DVD!!
Easy now. Smile It actually is Ricky Jay and he claims that he owns the rights to throwing cards into fruit. It's all **, order the DVD ASAP!

Evan
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
I have Ricky Jay's Cards as weapons...very cool stuff in there. I can now throw cards very fast and somewhat accurate. Very nice stuff, I wanna get cards into a fruit. Smile
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
Lucky you! How much did you pay for it (out of interest)?

Thanks
Kevin
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
A friend just gave it to me because I was learning how to scale cards, so free. He's not much into magic anymore anyway. Smile I'm thinking the original price is around $300? If so, I saved a ton of money. Smile
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
Well it's unfair to call it an original price, because you can't buy the book new anywhere. They auction for something around $225-$375 depending on the number of people bidding.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3407 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Geez!

And here I sit with an autographed 1st edition of CAW! Anyone want to open the bidding?

:hysteric: (Just kidding!)(But not about owning an autographed 1st edition!)

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Card Flicking (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL