The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Exposure? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Had a question to run buy you guys/gals. I ran into a web page that listed a couple hundred card tricks and the full explantion to them. Some went as far as offering a video of the explanation. I was a little confused about how to feel about this. At first I was ticked off that these people listed all the tricks for anyone to see. Then I thought that I have seen card trick explanations every where, from cereal boxes to boy scout books. Are these tricks considered public domain? I don't want to bash our card guys, but it seems that card tricks are and always have been a dime a dozen while stage illusions or parlor tricks are more hush hush.

This site also looks like it is some form of Wiki site. Meaning that other people have submitted explanations for the same trick or outcome. It also appears that it may be college kids doing this since the contact e-mail was a .edu at Cornell University. Nothing like using school resources huh.
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
Magicgeek
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Magicgeek
Just imagine how Copperfields feels with his Flying Exposed on youtube. Who ever posted that is an idiot.
Killed_CZ
View Profile
Regular user
Czech republic, Prague
173 Posts

Profile of Killed_CZ
Magicgeek ... every exposed magic or illusion posts idiots :o) like masked magician Smile
Ethan the emazing
View Profile
Elite user
anywhere but here USA
454 Posts

Profile of Ethan the emazing
Right on Killed_CZ!
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Speaking of the masked man, has anyone seen the paordy magazine called Magijoke? It has a pretty funy article in there about him and a lot of other funny magic things too.

Also, did W.A.M. ever come out with a list of sellers who make imitations?
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27122 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
How much worse could it be than any other site which offers magic data?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
C. Loubard
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of C. Loubard
Jonathan, don't bother! No one here gets it. They don't want to believe their precious magic heroes are guiltier than the people actually exposing the stuff...
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
C. Loubard, I get it. Smile
Magic is a vanishing art.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2749 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2007-02-27 23:51, Magicgeek wrote:
Just imagine how Copperfields feels with his Flying Exposed on youtube. Who ever posted that is an idiot.

Y'know what? I finally went to see that. There wasn't anything there that I hadn't worked out myself just watching the original video. And now, haveing seen that, I could <still> watch David swing around on those wires and be amazed because the boy <sells> it!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Ya, David really does a great job!
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
The thing that gets me is not the exposure of the methods themselves. There are usually other methods of doing something. The thing that gets me about videos on youtube or metacafe, is they trivialize the magic they expose. They make them out to be so easy that you can master the things exposed in 2 minute videos on the internet. And I just hate that. I hate to think that my years of practice in this art, months of practicing each effect before showing a spectator and countless hours spent learning the best patter, when to say what at this point in the routine ect., is being brought down to "simple tricks that will amaze your family and friends". Just the general devaluation of an art that I hold so dear.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
So true Joey. Let me someone perform a classic palm or double lift without any prior knowledge. How about David, you think it was easy to remain motionless and the smoothness he uses? The people that post stuff like that really have no respect for magicians or people in general.
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Exposure? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.43 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL