The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Taste Conditions Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
MarvinSanRemo
View Profile
Loyal user
Santa Barbara, CA
294 Posts

Profile of MarvinSanRemo
Quote:
On 2007-03-09 11:21, Jeff Richards wrote:
If a creator decides he wants to release 5 copies of a book, and leave the table of contents out of all but one -- that's the decision of the creator...

I think morgan's work should be praised, instead of aching about not being able to print it...

come on guys...




I am sorry Jeff, but this is just pure ignorance...You attempt an argument to support print protection, then this is your conclusion. I have read many of your posts over time, and its clear you are the type that likes to be right. Your post was designed to do just that, be right. So to help stroke your ego, I will help out, you are right. It is up to the creator to do whatever he wants. Bravo. Thanks for that insightful post Captain Obvious.

Sadly you are missing the point. Its not just about the material. Its about the packaging, presentation, and delivery of that material as well. To deny people the ability to print the PDF is ridiculous, and does not solve anything. Its been stated many times on the Café that people will not buy a PDF that they cannot print. I am sure Morgan does not want to lose out on sales because of this fact. I would be upset if I had purchased the PDF and found out it was unprintable after the fact. The least he could do is make that point apparent on the website.

To the other guy that figured out the effect. There are many effects that are easy to figure out, this was one of them. But it would not keep me from purchasing it, as I am sure the material contains nice routining and subtlties to sell it to your audience.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Quote:
I have read many of your posts over time, and its clear you are the type that likes to be right. Your post was designed to do just that, be right. So to help stroke your ego, I will help out, you are right. It is up to the creator to do whatever he wants. Bravo. Thanks for that insightful post Captain Obvious.


Marvin...

Maybe you should read a few more...

My point was that the creators can do what they want....

which is true is it not?


The last thing I need is to have my ego stroked by a bunch of guys like this...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=d00pTfhD4Vw

on the Café...

Thanks for the shot though...

Maybe captain obvious needs to recalibrate his "OBVIOUS-OBSERVATRON"

I'll put it down like this...

If you want to pass up a very valuable effect, which could be a reputation maker, because you can't print it -- then that is your perogative...
xxx
nickivory
View Profile
New user
San Diego, CA
55 Posts

Profile of nickivory
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......that video is ****in funny!!
www.nickivory.com
Modern Day Illusions
G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
Sorry if this has been answered, I didn't have time to read every post. Does the colour change? Most mouthwas such as listerine is blue or green, and water is clear.. So after the water changes, does it come out blue or green like mouthwash?
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Yes it does...
xxx
MarvinSanRemo
View Profile
Loyal user
Santa Barbara, CA
294 Posts

Profile of MarvinSanRemo
Actually, your point wasn't that at all...Perhaps you should re-read your own posts. You tried to defend something, with a very technical, yet dumb argument, and it got shot down. You had no more answers, so you turned to "the creators can do what they want". that's brilliant!

Thanks for another insightful post Jeff. Go back to trying to close out the mentalism forums to new people lol.

Also thanks for the attempt at a put down. It was funny. Nice to know what you think about the people on the Café. You better get back to Burger King, your show is starting soon.

I will talk to Morgan about the printing issue.
naquada
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of naquada
Quote:
On 2007-03-09 11:56, Hoagini wrote:
The trick is limited to 250 because it deserves to be leaked out. Come on... mouthwash? Do you know how easy that is to get people to think they have in their mouth. If it's only mouthwash the water "turns" into then it's not that impressive. Why not turn into gatorade or even better, coke into pepsi? Does the participant spit out the "water" and it's blue or green? I doubt it. Unless this it the case, the trick is one of those "running on my reputation" kind of tricks. Besides, analyzing the participants saliva is kind of unsanitary. A man's gotta eat I suppose.


well maybe this trick isn't for you... I find it a bit shocking that you say 'deserves to be leaked out' are you saying that if a trick isn't impressive to you, then the author should be hurt by having his work pirated?? IF you purchased the effect ( I assume you havent) then yes.. the participant spits out the mouth wash.. or.. as others have hinted here.. whatever you use... water to coke.. to wine.. or whatever you try and works... There;s some clever thinking and scripting in the effect.. that's what your paying the money for...

I think the topic's got a bit off thread now.. it was a review of the effect.. which is very good.. and is recommended.. if the effect isn't (no pun intended) your taste.. then I guess you shoudl move on.. it seems to suit many people on here.. and fits in very well with morgans style, and others...
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Jeff, thanks for the youtube link - that was a hoot!

In the end, Morgan decided to release an effect. You get an actual signed copy #'d. Perhaps the price is for we who are also collectors besides the price of the effect. Like always, the effect is worth more or less depending on you and what you want to present.

If someone wants to PDF protect, big deal. I would say the key thing is that should be in the ad when you buy. Right now, hard copies come so when they run out maybe MS will change his ad copy. If you really hate those things, buy a program that erases it like the programs that let you pirate DVDs. I wanted the book because I like reading things on paper vs. monitor myself - hence also another reason to have bought it.

As for thinking something deserves to be "leaked" - such thoughts speak more to of the people who hold such thoughts than the effect under discussion.

Can you do other things besides mouthwash? YES. You see, many of us who like more theory and looking at effects for some new twists on principles usually want to change the whole thing around and make it special for our own style. MS has brought forward a classic principle and given it some fresh life giving anyone who thinks a bit outside of the box a nice motivation to think of new things.

i.e. the value of the book beyond the effect as written is: 1) understanding how long it takes to really hone an effect 2) inspirations for effects 3) Morgan is a good guy who wants to demo magic to all sorts of people 4) thinking of things outside of the usual magic fallbacks 5) psychological scripting i.e. why do something ahead of the main effect to help create the write conditions i.e. there is a reason to get the person into relaxation, meditation and deep breathing before you proceed with the meat....also, I like seeing how people structure how they write up and present the effect and MS has given a colour coded guide from the actions, the script, and the likely POV of spec and audience.

In any case, I am happy wih the item.

Bravo Morgan! Keep the ideas coming!

Dr S
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Morgan Strebler
View Profile
V.I.P.
Inside Your Mind
455 Posts

Profile of Morgan Strebler
I want to clear up any concerns you may have about the PDF restrictions on Taste Conditions. At the current time, the PDF version is available as an added bonus to ONLY those people who have purchased the booklet. Please review the “ad copy” below:

“As an added bonus,
everyone who orders the booklet will also
receive a free PDF version of Taste Conditions
via email!! We don't want you to
wait on the booklet to get started!!”

Please be assured that when Taste Conditions is released soon as a “stand alone” product in the PDF format, the entire document will be easily printable. Otherwise, the current PDF version was simply provided as a convenience to those customers that ordered the Taste Conditions booklet.

As always, thanks for your interest and continued support of my magic!


Best Wishes,

Morgan
Morgan
<BR>
<BR>http://www.morganstrebler.com
pbg739
View Profile
Veteran user
San Jose, Ca
340 Posts

Profile of pbg739
I wanted to voice my two cents. This is a good effect. However, the reviews don't emphasize that it is really suited for a stage/parlor kind of show. It could work for a party, but it wasn't really the impromptu kind of thing I was looking for.

I also echo Platt's comments. I think if the situation presented itself, then yes, this would be phenomenal for me, but the effect as read in the ad copy is not exactly as the manuscript reads.

I don't mean this to come off as harsh, but I let curiosity get the best of me, and for $28 bucks I was expecting something a little more impromptu, not stagey. If that's even a word!

Pete
jimbowmanjr
View Profile
Veteran user
Inside the Bottle
320 Posts

Profile of jimbowmanjr
Quote:
On 2007-03-12 14:43, pbg739 wrote:
I wanted to voice my two cents. This is a good effect. However, the reviews don't emphasize that it is really suited for a stage/parlor kind of show. It could work for a party, but it wasn't really the impromptu kind of thing I was looking for.

I also echo Platt's comments. I think if the situation presented itself, then yes, this would be phenomenal for me, but the effect as read in the ad copy is not exactly as the manuscript reads.

I don't mean this to come off as harsh, but I let curiosity get the best of me, and for $28 bucks I was expecting something a little more impromptu, not stagey. If that's even a word!

Pete


You should probably read the description a bit more closely next time then...

"PLEASE NOTE: This routine is recommended for close up, stand up, and stage show performances. It is NOT recommended for walk around or street magic environments."
http://www.morganstrebler.com/store.html

--Jim
Hoagini
View Profile
New user
USA
34 Posts

Profile of Hoagini
Anyone know why isn't there a demo video?
eddwithers
View Profile
New user
London
64 Posts

Profile of eddwithers
Quote:
On 2007-03-12 15:11, Hoagini wrote:
Anyone know why isn't there a demo video?


Some magic creators are honest enough in their descriptions not to need to produce demo videos.

Plus- this isn't a DVD, and so there isn't really anything to demo on video.

The effect is as it reads. No need for a demo, that's why.
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Robert Apodaca
Actually there's no demo because that would tip the method.
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Robert Apodaca
Quote:
On 2007-03-12 15:03, jimbowmanjr wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-03-12 14:43, pbg739 wrote:
I wanted to voice my two cents. This is a good effect. However, the reviews don't emphasize that it is really suited for a stage/parlor kind of show. It could work for a party, but it wasn't really the impromptu kind of thing I was looking for.

I also echo Platt's comments. I think if the situation presented itself, then yes, this would be phenomenal for me, but the effect as read in the ad copy is not exactly as the manuscript reads.

I don't mean this to come off as harsh, but I let curiosity get the best of me, and for $28 bucks I was expecting something a little more impromptu, not stagey. If that's even a word!

Pete


You should probably read the description a bit more closely next time then...

"PLEASE NOTE: This routine is recommended for close up, stand up, and stage show performances. It is NOT recommended for walk around or street magic environments."
http://www.morganstrebler.com/store.html

--Jim



He said the reviews, not Morgan's website.
eddwithers
View Profile
New user
London
64 Posts

Profile of eddwithers
Quote:
On 2007-03-12 22:09, Drizz wrote:
Actually there's no demo because that would tip the method.

That's not strictly speaking true. The only way that a demo video would tip the method is if it used a already common-place sleight of hand that most magicians know, which Taste Conditions doesn't, or if the method was obvious, which it isn't in TC, or it wouldn't be much of a trick would it?

I do see your point about sometimes not having a demo video in order to stop people working out the effect by watching it, and that is fair enough. But in this case, I think its more of a secondary reason, and the primary reason is simply because there is no need. What you read is what you get as far as the product description goes, and its a paper manuscript, or a book.

Not many magic books or manuscripts have demo videos.

I'll ask Morgan to confirm or deny my thoughts and I'll get back to you.

//Edd
jimbowmanjr
View Profile
Veteran user
Inside the Bottle
320 Posts

Profile of jimbowmanjr
Quote:
On 2007-03-12 22:11, Drizz wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-03-12 15:03, jimbowmanjr wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-03-12 14:43, pbg739 wrote:
I wanted to voice my two cents. This is a good effect. However, the reviews don't emphasize that it is really suited for a stage/parlor kind of show. It could work for a party, but it wasn't really the impromptu kind of thing I was looking for.

I also echo Platt's comments. I think if the situation presented itself, then yes, this would be phenomenal for me, but the effect as read in the ad copy is not exactly as the manuscript reads.

I don't mean this to come off as harsh, but I let curiosity get the best of me, and for $28 bucks I was expecting something a little more impromptu, not stagey. If that's even a word!

Pete


You should probably read the description a bit more closely next time then...

"PLEASE NOTE: This routine is recommended for close up, stand up, and stage show performances. It is NOT recommended for walk around or street magic environments."
http://www.morganstrebler.com/store.html

--Jim



He said the reviews, not Morgan's website.


The actual review, first page, first post:

"Another thing Morgan should be commended on is his outward honesty regarding the effect, its strengths, and its limitations. Morgan EXPLICITLY states that this effect is for formal settings, and is NOT reccommended for street, walkaround, or close up performances. While I feel the effect is simple and practical enough to perform ANYWHERE, I must take my hat off to Morgan for addressing this concern up front. If only more people were as up front with the limitations of their material."

I guess that could have been overlooked somehow though.

--Jim
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Robert Apodaca
Quote:
On 2007-03-13 21:25, jimbowmanjr wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-03-12 22:11, Drizz wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-03-12 15:03, jimbowmanjr wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-03-12 14:43, pbg739 wrote:
I wanted to voice my two cents. This is a good effect. However, the reviews don't emphasize that it is really suited for a stage/parlor kind of show. It could work for a party, but it wasn't really the impromptu kind of thing I was looking for.

I also echo Platt's comments. I think if the situation presented itself, then yes, this would be phenomenal for me, but the effect as read in the ad copy is not exactly as the manuscript reads.

I don't mean this to come off as harsh, but I let curiosity get the best of me, and for $28 bucks I was expecting something a little more impromptu, not stagey. If that's even a word!

Pete


You should probably read the description a bit more closely next time then...

"PLEASE NOTE: This routine is recommended for close up, stand up, and stage show performances. It is NOT recommended for walk around or street magic environments."
http://www.morganstrebler.com/store.html

--Jim



He said the reviews, not Morgan's website.


The actual review, first page, first post:

"Another thing Morgan should be commended on is his outward honesty regarding the effect, its strengths, and its limitations. Morgan EXPLICITLY states that this effect is for formal settings, and is NOT reccommended for street, walkaround, or close up performances. While I feel the effect is simple and practical enough to perform ANYWHERE, I must take my hat off to Morgan for addressing this concern up front. If only more people were as up front with the limitations of their material."

I guess that could have been overlooked somehow though.

--Jim




That's great, but he said the reviews.
eddwithers
View Profile
New user
London
64 Posts

Profile of eddwithers
Both Sean Fields review, mine and others, and the Ad copy warn that this isn't impromptu, or for walk-around.
jimbowmanjr
View Profile
Veteran user
Inside the Bottle
320 Posts

Profile of jimbowmanjr
Edd,

See what happens when everything goes from books to dvd? Reading comprehension goes down the tubes.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Taste Conditions Review (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL