The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Taste Conditions Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1920 Posts

Profile of Platt
Curiousity got the best of me, so I too purchased TC. It's a fascinating principle/fact that I, and probably many people, are very familiar with. There's a novel I once read by Tom Robbins that actually speaks to this phenomenon in great detail.

Pros:
1. Fascinating reminder of how our senses work.
2. If your show involves hypnosis, you've got a real miracle.
3. The supplies couldn't be cheaper.
4. When they spit the water/mouthwash out, they amazingly will feel they have freshened their breath.

Cons:
1. $28. It's all subjective. But for me, sorry that's a bit much for a one trick script.
2. Besides the gross out factor, it's really not for walk around (as the creator says), or every day casual performance. IMO this would only work if you (and the spec) has sufficient time and patience to get into a supposedly hypnotic state. In other words, you can't just walk up to somebody and and turn water into mouthwash. You absolutely need to "train" the spec. with a hypnosis warm-up. I suppose it's a matter of opinion, but for me it's a con.

I've only tried this on my girlfriend and it didn't quite work. She couldn't quit laughing at my hypnosis suggestions. But I will try again and report.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I humbly say one can do it without hypnosis - just a lot of suggestions Smile - seriously, don't make the hypnotic angle overt- because that actually can cause resistance...

I've done the effect with whisky twice and it worked fine.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
HINT^
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4456 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
This really is becoming hard to resist! I haven't in a long time seen an effect with such positive reviews from everyone! Only Platt's review so far has set me back...
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1920 Posts

Profile of Platt
Quote:
On 2007-03-04 16:51, Christopher Williams wrote:
This really is becoming hard to resist! I haven't in a long time seen an effect with such positive reviews from everyone! Only Platt's review so far has set me back...

Don't let me hold you back. It's $28 for one script. That's a lot no matter what's written on those pages. This is good stuff. I think the principle this is based on is fascinating. Even if you know why our senses work the way they do, it's extremely counter intuitive to believe this method could work. And that's a very good thing.

Time will tell. But for my style and comfort levels, I think I'd only use this as a one on one experiment. Again, I'll report back when I get this to work.

-----

Okay just tried it with whisky on my girl. Sorry to report it didn't work. I wish it did but it didn't. Would love to hear about success stories. I have none yet to share.
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Robert Apodaca
How much does it cost to make the gimmick and can I do a comedy routine with this?
EVENT
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
170 Posts

Profile of EVENT
I got Taste Conditions, Clever idea and - sound - like a killer effect BUT I have some problem with the spitting procedure.
In my opinion The all finish ruin the effect in aspect of performance. The show can become to a big mess whaen the spec spit on the performer hand ...
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I hope you used good whisky, Platt!

I would say you got to try it on someone new... I did the mouthwash thing this AM on someone - went over fine - but I also know this person is a foodie - I actually think screening a bit with a couple of questions of those who like food and wine for their taste helps the success rate - you want someone with good senses... i.e. just like being careful to choose someone with or without glasses....

Chris W - buy it! It is only one script - but at least MS puts a lot of thought into it. Its nice just to see wll his work for this one effect. I think one shouldn't judge how many effects are in a manuscript - but all the little subt., process of thought, and innovation goes with it.

Although that is just MHO. If you hate it afterwards, don't blame me!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Charlie the Tuna
View Profile
Regular user
Baltimore Maryland
111 Posts

Profile of Charlie the Tuna
This sounds like an awesome effect. However before I order I must ask, Has anyone had any negative results? (Except for the laughing girl friend)
Charlie
Charlie,
A Magician with Good Taste.

Only perform an illusion once. The first time is magical, the second is an education.
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1920 Posts

Profile of Platt
I tried it again and it didn't really work out. I wish it did but it didn't. I didn't use the recommended water to mouthwash but rather whisky. Clearly a lot of people here have purchased this. It would be great to hear some reports.
jimbowmanjr
View Profile
Veteran user
Inside the Bottle
320 Posts

Profile of jimbowmanjr
Going to give it a try this coming weekend. Just wanted to get enough practice/polish time in before trying it out on someone.

--Jim
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
I performed this on a group of friends after a dinner party a little while ago...

I used mouth wash...

Got a great reaction.

You need to set the stage, and you need someone that is not going to laugh at your suggestions...

the effect is magnified by 100 times if the person takes you and what you are doing seriously...
xxx
jimbowmanjr
View Profile
Veteran user
Inside the Bottle
320 Posts

Profile of jimbowmanjr
I am eager to hear from anyone that has tried a blindfold with this routine. I know a few people I would probably need to use a blindfold on for this but I probably would just skip doing it for them anyways.

--Jim
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
A blindfold?

why?
xxx
jimbowmanjr
View Profile
Veteran user
Inside the Bottle
320 Posts

Profile of jimbowmanjr
Morgan had suggested it for people you didn't feel would keep their eyes closed during the process (p. 20 if you are curious where I came up with that). I don't really think this is ideal for the 'unwilling' spectator but I wanted to see if anyone had tried it using a blindfold and if the reaction was equal to the reaction without it.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
I missed that part...

I wouldn't use it to be honest...
xxx
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1035 Posts

Profile of bsears
Platt - I'll back up your contention that $28 is a lot to pay for one clever idea. $28 is the going rate for a whole book or DVD full of clever ideas and routines. Or a subscription to a magazine with hundreds of clever ideas published each year.

I'm sure the product is execellent, but why couldn't it have gone on a DVD or in some lecture notes with several other effects? That would make for a better value, imo.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
LOL....

OK, I disagree....

bsears...

this is a great effect...

and all of the most clever dvds and books I have ever bought cost me much more...
xxx
jimbowmanjr
View Profile
Veteran user
Inside the Bottle
320 Posts

Profile of jimbowmanjr
Personally I prefer it in the book format that was delivered to my house. I can read it anywhere and anytime I want to without lugging around a laptop to read/watch it. The clarity of the writing and directions given in the book pretty much eliminates any need for a visual aid beyond the pictures given. As far as cost goes I think it was probably 3 bucks more than the average cost for a single effect. I have plenty of whole books and dvd's full of clever ideas and it was worth what I paid for this effect from Morgan. There is something to be said for quality over quantity.

--Jim
naquada
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of naquada
Got my pdf copy last night.. again some problems with spam deletion, so morgan sent it to another address (fast turn around on that one thanks!!)

its a shame I don't have a booklet copy.. lugging my macbook around while I read and learn it all is a bit of a shame.. but.. it looks like a good routine I can work with...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Taste Conditions Review (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL