The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Cardician - by Edward Marlo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

james-harrington
View Profile
Regular user
England
102 Posts

Profile of james-harrington
Hello everyone...

I'm currently going through my collection of magic books in an attempt to rid myself of them and I've come accross something that I can't price...

'The Cardician' by Ed Marlo dated 1987 and signed 'Cardially Yours Ed Marlo'.

Anyone have any idea how much it's worth?!

Thanks in advance

James
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
I have the comb bound version of the Cadician and it cost $17.00 from Hollywood Magic Shop. As for the autograph that would most likely be worth a lot more!

Josh London
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
However, with ANY autograph..... Is there any real proof that it is genuine?

I see way too many "genuine" autographed stuff on eBay... Even if it says "Authentic". That means nothing. My neighbor's name is "Kenny Baker". Does that mean he is the same "Kenny Baker" that portrayed R2-D2 from the Star Wars movies? I think not. People can get some other guy with the same name to autograph something and state it was authentically signed by him... A lie?? Not really.... But misleading.

Then again, so many "authentic" autographs are on eBay that have these so-called "Certificate of Authenticity" (COA).... Don't trust them. They hope to sell 10 of them for $30 each with a money-back guarantee. Maybe 2 people return them for a full refund because they felt that they were not authentic and thus were not fully satified. The winner is the seller-- The Scam-artist-- who collected $240 from the 8 people who did not realise how they were scammed.

The only way that you know it's real is if you had it signed IN PERSON. A picture of you next to that person signing it would be even a step ahead if you intend to sell it later on.

My whole take on the subject is if you have it signed... Keep it. It is really more of value to you than anyone else, because YOU would be ultimately the only one that would know it is authentic.
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
james-harrington
View Profile
Regular user
England
102 Posts

Aha good point... I'm not totally sure myself. I don't think the person who I got it from even knew that it was signed.

I guess the only way to prove it's real is to compare it to a more reliable source of his signature.

I thought it could be a photocopy to start with... but the ink has gone through to the other side so can't be that...

Anyways guess I'll keep it.

Thanks!

James
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
A guy could make a career out of JUST material in The Cardician.....one of the best card books ever.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Take a good look at the autograph. If it's under the photo, it's just printed there. That's not a real autograph.

Mike
james-harrington
View Profile
Regular user
England
102 Posts

Yes Mike, that had occured to me... Looks like it's certainly real writing that's why I said:

"I thought it could be a photocopy to start with... but the ink has gone through to the other side so can't be that... "

Anyway sold it for £16 on ebay, apparently Marlo signatures aren't too rare and I needed the cash!

Cardshark was the real money maker *Counts money* Smile

James
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1488 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
For content :

Marlo, Ed: The Cardician
Copyright 1953 Ireland Magic Company, Second printing 1965
Spiral bound 199 pages

http://magicref.tripod.com/booksjr/marlocardician.htm
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
I'm looking at my copy here, and on page 2, mine is also "signed" beneath the photograph. I assume that's just part of the book.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Cardician - by Edward Marlo (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL