The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Satellite Internet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2701 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I might be moving to a place with no ground services, well dial up is available, but not a consideration... Only option left is the satellite. Anyone have any
experience with this. The one I'm looking at is the new 2 way, not the one where
you have to be hooked up to a phone line at the same time.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
If it's your only choice I would say "Go with it". I had satellite internet for a year-and-a-half, and I never could count on it being there when I needed it. At first I had "one=way" which I eventually converted, but unless you do a lot of uploading, there's not a lot of difference between the two.

Can you not get DSL?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2701 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Thanks for the response.. No there's nothing available but dial up. I guess a few people on the road want cable or DSL. Cable company said they weren't going to expand in that area and too far away from whatever it is for DSL.
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
DSL requires that you be within a 3 mile radius of the phone office in your local area in order to get the service. The reason is due to the fact that at those high speeds, the signals deteriorate the further you get from that location. I used to work at a call center that dealt with dsl customers and that was one of the big reasons they did not have as many customers as they would have liked.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I moved to a very rural area and was told that there was no internet service available other than dial up or the satellite via Hughes. I called the DSL carrier about how I could keep my email and all that good stuff and found out that I could get DSL (no we do not have a phone office w/in 3,10, or even 15 miles) and the service has been great. Oddly I think only one other person in this area has DSL. So not questioning clynim I bring this up so you can at least check, you may be as surprised as I was.
VisualRiddles
View Profile
New user
Clarion, Pennsylvania
41 Posts

Profile of VisualRiddles
Hope your not a gamer, I don't think it (a satellite ISP) works properly with games via, PC or 360 or PS3.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Dsl (Digital Service Loop) does indeed depend on distance from the nearest digital connecting point. Just because the phone office is 20 miles away doesn't mean they don't have digital repeaters installed for distribution purposes.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
As a long-time telelphone company employee, I can say that folks 20 miles or more from the central office can often get much better DSL service than those much closer. It has to do with something called cable loading that attenuates the digital signal. If you are a long way out, you are probably served via Subscriber Line Carrier, which is electronics and repeaters from the office to your location. Plug-in cards can often be added at your remote terminal location to provide DSL.

If you are served by a major telephone company (AT&T, Verizon, etc., there's a better-than-average chance that you could get something.

Good luck...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I would say Dave is correct. I was floored that I could get it and it is as fast as it was when I lived smack dab in the middle of a high tech city.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Satellite Internet (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL