The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » E. Brian MacCarthy's "The Chameleon Cups And Balls"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
967 Posts

Profile of lint
Hi Everyone, Me Again...

Tony Shiels' great essay on Cups & Balls (http://www.theshielseffect.com/ExpertEscamoteurEbook.pdf) has a quote by E. Brian MacCarthy from a book (or booklet, article, etc.) titled "The Chameleon Cups and Balls". Google is failing me when I try and find any additional info on this book(let). Has anyone heard of it, and know where/when/if it was ever printed? http://www.theshielseffect.com does not seem to have an email listed for Tony.

Many thanks,
-todd
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Tony probably doesn't have a computer or e-mail. You can reach him through Quentin Reynolds.

Remember, convenience notwithstanding, there is a huge percentage of people who have no computer.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
967 Posts

Profile of lint
Email sent. Thanks, Bill.

-todd
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
He may send you Tony's address.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
"The Chameleon Cups and Balls" was part of the Magic Wand Series of booklets, and was published by George Johnson in London in 1942. It's a softback booklet of 36 pages that contains, as you might expect, the details of MacCarthy's routine, but also descriptions of the sleights used, the patter, and Gilli-Gilli dress that he employed.

I think this is one of the best of the 'older' booklets. The routine features a colour change, and the vast majority of the sleights used are relevant today - for either close-up or street/stage work. It's referenced and recommended in the bibliography of Michael Ammar's "Complete Cups and Balls" book.

As with all of these older books, you won't find one in stock in any of the regular or online stores; you have to keep an eye on eBay and the secondhand booksellers (such as the excellent Bradbury Books).

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
967 Posts

Profile of lint
THANK YOU, Richard!

(Yes, I love Bradbury.)

-Todd
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
You're welcome!

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
I saw this listed on amazon but none for sale...
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2007-02-28 18:32, Richard Evans wrote:
"The Chameleon Cups and Balls" was part of the Magic Wand Series of booklets, and was published by George Johnson in London in 1942. It's a softback booklet of 36 pages that contains, as you might expect, the details of MacCarthy's routine, but also descriptions of the sleights used, the patter, and Gilli-Gilli dress that he employed.

I think this is one of the best of the 'older' booklets. The routine features a colour change, and the vast majority of the sleights used are relevant today - for either close-up or street/stage work. It's referenced and recommended in the bibliography of Michael Ammar's "Complete Cups and Balls" book.

As with all of these older books, you won't find one in stock in any of the regular or online stores; you have to keep an eye on eBay and the secondhand booksellers (such as the excellent Bradbury Books).

Richard

Was this published in the magazine called "the Magic Wand"?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Another book to add to the library and this is a tough one to get.

There's so many more books to add to the cups and balls library and its going to be a long journey.

Thanks Todd for your list - without which it would be even harder to track down those books. Really appreciate your work.
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
967 Posts

Profile of lint
Wow talk about a thread back from the dead! Smile

Bill, I have the Magic Wand on CD and could not find a reference to this routine (aside from some ads for it I think).

your welcome James, it is a pleasure. I am just glad new additions are getting fewer and further between. That means I am either close to getting in nearly every cups & balls reference, or my resources are exhausted. Hopefully it is the first one.

-todd
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have a bunch of back issues of the Magic Wand that Terry Seabrooke gave to me a long time ago.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Quote:
On 2009-01-20 13:04, Bill Palmer wrote:
Was this published in the magazine called "the Magic Wand"?

Todd has saved me searching through the Magic Wand CDs, which is good! I'm not aware of this having been published in any journal - just in booklet form.
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
967 Posts

Profile of lint
I take it all back! I own a lot of digital magic magazine scans, but not Magic Wand. I must have missed picking it up. Anyhow, I was mistaken. It is likely I looked at the Magic Wand for cup routines when I was a member of the Conjuring Arts Library but I see no notes of mine listing this routine amongst the ones published. Sadly with the economy the way it is I have had to skip renewing my membership this year and rely on other sources.

So, Mr. Evans, if you get a chance can you confirm or deny Bills claim? Smile

-todd
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

I have the book if anyone wants / needs any info on it at all...
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Mindyourmagic,

That rocks. I think your offer to help is awesome. Some jerk named Kent already got a copy to him though! I had two of them!

Did you ever work up that routine? It looked awfully involved, to me.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Kent,
That's even better as I only have one copy but if anyone wants to know anything then feel free to PM me.

No, I never did work the routing, I couldn't get the gali gali outfit right!

Bri
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
967 Posts

Profile of lint
Thanks again Kent! and yeah this is one of the stranger routines.

Wouldn't it be grand to have a site that had a video of at least one person pulling off a perfect performance of some of these routines from the past? some sound so wacky when you are reading them it is hard to visualize the performance. who knows? it could be a hidden gem that is mind blowing.

-todd
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I agree with you, Tod, visual reference from video clips would be very helpful.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » E. Brian MacCarthy's "The Chameleon Cups And Balls"? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL