The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Fantasy Magician (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2007-03-02 09:36, Spellbinder wrote:
Most of the rest of the routine is done with you, the Wizard, sitting in the audience and the child following your spoken directions on the stage, so in this way, it is completely different from the “Instant Magician” or "Fantasy Magician," which is the topic of this thread.

It sounds as if there is no real comparison between The Fantasy Magician and your routine that you are selling, so it makes me wonder why you are posting off-topic by mentioning it in this thread.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
jondark445
View Profile
Special user
716 Posts

Profile of jondark445
Marvello:

I was wondering the same thing about Spellbinder myself. I was enjoying this thread, but it seems as though Spellbinder is trying to capitalize on those people who feel "uncomfortable" about performing Instant Magician....which, actually, no one expressed here....which was rather nice for once. And you're right...he clearly states that it is "completely different from the 'Instant Magician' or 'Fantasy Magician'" so why post here.

Also, what's the Café's policy on advertising. Wouldn't this be considered an advertisement for his product? I know others have spoken about Ken Scott's product, but Ken never actually pushes his product himself (see above). But Spellbinder seems to be pushing his own notes, which, if I'm not mistaken, is a no no in the Café....JR....JR....where are you, JR?

--Jon
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I was actually responding to the observation of Smarty Pants about making this effect yourself. Since the "comfort level" of performers with this effect is stated elsewhere, I thought it good to mention that this version seems to solve the problem. It is not off topic to consider an alternate way to present an effect; even though the methods may be completely different, the effect, to the audience is similar.

The effect dates back to a comic bit of business by Frank Lane (1933) using a phonograph record, which he called "The Lazy Man Record", to give the instructions to a spectator who finds his selected card. It was made famous later as "The Lazy Magician" by Dante who would sit in a chair onstage, idly bemused while his assistant worked the trick. Then it was revived by Milbourne Christopher in 1961. Karrel Fox came up with his own version in the card trick "Sit on It."

In "Instant Magician" by Kevin James, the concept is combined with an old vaudeville comedy routine where one performer supplied the hands or feet for another performer and also combined with the "Costume Bag" trick which evolved from an Ali Bongo Blendo Bag effect. Ken Scott simply makes a more expensive version. Whether you choose to pay Ken Scott $210, or pay $160 for Kevin James' version, or make it yourself for $20 or less... those are options that readers of this thread should know about.

If you object to my posting on this forum to let readers know about these options, simply click on the link just above the post to report it.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
I have never seen Kevins for 160.00 in fact I think it was 200.00.

I will say by the time you buy a real tux coat jacket, which mine is and a real tux shirt, bow tie, velcro, you will already have nearly 100.00 into before you even cut it up, if you buy a nice tux coat.

Enjoy,
Ken
magickid1
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of magickid1
I bought this effect and tried it.
It sits in a bag now.
I am not trying to be mean here. Please listen to my reasoning. I'm trying to help.

I perform for children. That is 98% of my business. There are always a few adults around, but usually more kids than adults.

This routine (has some magic in it) but the whole jist of it is the comedy of a volunteer being turned into a magician. That's not really funny to kids. Typically it's difficult to get kids to react to a magic trick that another kid performs. Have you ever really watched a kid watching another kid do magic? The reactions are very limited. But when YOU (the adult) has a wand that keeps rising when your not looking, or a drawing that starts talking to you, that's great stuff! Kid's don't respect other kids (for the most part) in a performance. I followed the directions to a tea on this one and my kids seemed bored. They didn't laugh at all. I figured I was wasting precious time on this one.

However, it's a very comical routine for adults! If you perform for adult shows...this one is a must-have! It crazy to see a balding fat guy brought up and have this magic happen and all the little hand signs and wiping of the forehead, and the "raise the roof" signal and all. Great stuff for that environnment.

Dynamike, I think you'll find there are a lot of other more age-appropriate items for you to check out.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Quote:
On 2007-03-06 15:25, magickid1 wrote:
I bought this effect and tried it.
It sits in a bag now.

You're right Magickid1... This routine doesn't work at all! Kids hate it! It's worthless! Which brings me to my next point; You don't need it sitting around taking up space and cluttering your magic drawer!

What do you say you send me that ole bag full of tux and I'll get rid of it for you. You'll never have to look at it again! I'll even pay postage...

:bwink:
Lyndel
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Quote:
On 2007-03-06 15:25, magickid1 wrote:

however, it's a very comical routine for adults! If you perform for adult shows...this one is a must-have! It crazy to see a balding fat guy brought up and have this magic happen and all the little hand signs and wiping of the forehead, and the "raise the roof" signal and all. Great stuff for that environnment.

magickid1 you just named my whole act. What environment are you talking about? Adults only show?? I will say for me it is the routine that parents at these kid parties talk about the most. Hey it works for me. I am 100% sure it will not work for everyone.

Ken
Ken
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
My mistake - it's $162 plus postage.

http://www.fabmagic.com/Products/Childre......cian.htm
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
WOW! That is cheaper than Kevin is selling his for.

I will say since making these since 2001 Oct. We have made a total of 387 suits. I know what goes into making my tuxes. If I could I would sell them for a lot more because I know they are worth it.

Thanks!
Ken
magickid1
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of magickid1
Quote:
On 2007-03-06 16:22, kenscott wrote:
I will say for me it is the routine that parents at these kid parties talk about the most...
Ken

Exactly Ken, that's exactly what I said. The adults love it! If I am doing a show to impress the adults, I'll perform it. If my main audience is the kids (as it usually is) I just don't think it's good enough for them, I could be doing something with more punch.

So, I highly recommend it in one regard. And not in another. I hope it's clearer what I was saying. No need for sarcasm Lyndel, I was trying to help Dynamike out.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
No sarcasm here buddy! Just trying to get a deal on a great prop! Smile

No worries!

Lyndel
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
I have been performing Fantasy Magician in my childrens and adult shows since 1999. I perform roughly 275-300 shows per year and everyone loves this routine. I am currently on my 3rd suit and 9th re-edit of the music. I love it!!!!

MDS
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
esther_scheffer
View Profile
Veteran user
the netherlands
316 Posts

Profile of esther_scheffer
Magickit1,
I can understand what you say for an audiance of younger kids only.
But what is your opinion on an audience of 9-12 (or 10-14?) year old kids ?
I think (by seeing it, I do not own it (yet?) and never performed it myself) this age group would love it. What do you (+ others) think?
Gerto
View Profile
New user
Belgium
80 Posts

Profile of Gerto
Just wondering what you all think about doing this with one of the parents at a birthday's show?

Would this work?

Gerto
Hello there! Smile
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
I do this all in every birthday show with most of the time the dad.

Ken
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
If at all possible, I use an adult for this routine for a few reasons. First and foremost they are generally much more cooperative. Second they are generally taller and overall it is easier. Third, I have always been a little leery when using a kid. That’s not saying that I don't, because I still do use kids. If you use the birthday childs dad it gets an even better reaction than with the birthday child.

Also I found a collapsible 7 or 8" step at Bed, Bath and Beyond for like $10.00. I keep this backstage or in my table just incase I have a really short Birthday Child or I am generally really good at it, but I will admit there have been a few times that I have really misjudged the height of the volunteer while they are sitting down and they got on stage and were like a foot and a half shorter than me. Sometimes they are short enough to kneel, and sometimes they are tall enough to stand, but every once in a while they are right in between the two heights. This step has saved me in the past, I have even picked someone too tall and stood on it myself! Hopefully it helps!

MDS
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
I would say IMPO that having the kid stand on something is much better than kneeling down. I just don't like the way it looks when the perfomer is on their knees.

Ken
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
I agree 100% Ken!!!!
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
What kind of box are you having them stand on?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
I use a case that I got from Sammy smith. It is retangle shape and stand about 14inches wide about

Ken
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Fantasy Magician (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL