The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Paint can Surprise- Devin Knight (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4454 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Ok, I have had this a couple days now and had chance to play with it, so here goes my review...

The instructions by Devin are as always, top notch!!! Every little detail, thought and move, perfectly described in superb detail. 17 pages and 15 clear pictures help Devin instruct each phase of the routine.
The methodology is fantastic. Superb thinking and already will get straight into my act! This routine should be incredibly fun to perform, and just the few people I have performed it to already, they have all fell about with laughter, and been simply amazed at the end.
The props provided are brilliant. Every last detail thought of and well produced. The method behind the paint can is great. Different to how I thought it would be done, and in a good way. This way is far more practical than I could have come up with.
The rest of the props that help in the routine are cleverly used, and help towards an entertaining, logical routine.
Can this be performed Close up? Yes. I carry a doctors bag with my props in when I perform, and this will all fit in nicely. If you are a street performer, if you don't mind carrying round a can of paint, then this will work for you as well. I will say though that having a briefcase or doctors bag etc will help carry the props. I was thinking of having this effect in a tool bag of somesort for added fun.
Can this be performed surrounded? I would say with a little bit of thinking then this can be performed pretty much surrounded. I already have my ideas and ways to use this, and it doesn't take much to figure it out for yourselves.
The effect is exactly as described in the advert. Nothing is hidden or left out. For the creative magician, you can make the routine more technical and advanced using some of the tips from Devin and using your own imagination, though I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to take the simplicity away from the routine.

I hope I haven't missed anything out of the review, and if you have any questions, just ask and I will answer as best I can. I give this a definite must buy and a 10/10, one of my few perfect 10's I give out!

Congratulations Devin on such a clever, fantastic product!
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Thanks for the great review. I do want to credit John Moyer for coming up with the basic idea for the gimmicked paint can. I have greatly expanded the routine, but just wanted to give credit to where credit is due. Had it not been for John's idea for the gimmicked paint can (for which I purchased rights too)this routine would not have been developed. My mentor Mel Strouse was also instrumental in the construction of the routine, suggesting that I come up with a way to spray the circle on an index card rather than a pad.

Although this is my release and I play a major part in it, I don't want to take full credit for all of it as both John Moyer and Mel Strouse (both credited in the instructions) played a vital role in perfecting this.

My role was putting this all together, devising a routine and making it easy for anyone to do, then write out the detailed directions explaining it all.

I do wish to state the causing of the ring to switch places with the paint ball marble inside the can is my idea 100%.

Devin Knight
samdan
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of samdan
What is the difficulty level?
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
If you can finger palm a marble you can do this trick. As Christopher mentioned if you are advanced in sleight of hand you can make it more advanced, but I designed the routine to be easy enough for a beginner.
samdan
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of samdan
Thanks! Sounds great.
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Christopher doesn't mention the effect. If do not know what this does, here is a link to Hocus Pocus for a full description and photo:
http://hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/product......tem=8187
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3688 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I recently received Devin Knight's Paint Can Surprise and wanted some time to learn the routine and to properly handle the props before writing a review. I agree with the extensive review written above by Mr. Christopher Williams. The written instructions provided by Devin in all of his products are certainly extensive, comprehensive, and clearly drafted. The instructions provided with Paint Can Surprise is no exception.

The effect is simple and direct. You borrow a spectator's ring and state that you will mark it for identification. You take out a paint can and shake it. The marble inside the can can be clearly heard by the audience. Suddenly the loud noise of the marble stops. You open you hand and there is a marble. You shake the can again and there is the sound of a ring coming from inside the paint can. It should be noted that the paint can can be shaken by the spectator prior to the ring vanish to show that the paint can is a real paint can. In fact, the audience can see all sides and teh bottom of the paint can without any problems.

You explain that you can get teh ring out of the paint can by the small hole of the nozzle. You pick up some blank cards and you spray the paint onto the cards to make a small circle. You explain that the perosn's ring has been dissolved and now is paint. The spectator is asked to sign teh card below the circle. You fold teh card and the flat card visibly swells and you pout out the ring from teh card into the spectator's hand. THe card is opened to show that the painted circle is gone but the spectator's signature remains which can be given to the spectator as a gift.

This is a great routine. All of the details are fully and clearly explained in the instructions and here are clear photos to help. There is minimal sleight of hand used. This is a very entertaining effect which can be done by all magicians and hobbyists. The props are first rate and extremely clever. Devin has hit another homerun with this effect. THis is one of the best and one of my favorite effects that I have purchased from him. I highly recommend it.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
DrGerber
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of DrGerber
I agree. Just got it myself. Very well made, thought out and very explicit easy to understand directions. Tough to go wrong with this one. Looking forward to practicing (minimal) and using it next week for the first time. Just like "Farsighted" it's another awesome offering from Devin.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2953 Posts

Profile of niva
I'm intrigued. Awesome!!
Yours,

Ivan
scorch420
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of scorch420
When the ring re-appears in the card, is it still marked with the paint? If so, is it easy to clean off. This effect sounds great, but I can see people getting a little upset if you are trashing their ring. Ha Ha.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2953 Posts

Profile of niva
I don't have this, but I believe their ring appears as it were in the beginning.

My question is, so does the sound in the can change when the ring vanishes from the hand and is replaced by the small ball. Does it become a tine sound similar to a ring shaking inside, or does it say the same. Bot that important, but the ad makes it sound it would Smile
Yours,

Ivan
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5297 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
A quick review of the advertisement for the prop/routine answers most of the questions.

First: NO paint is used so the ring is never in any danger of being damaged by paint.

Second: the sound changes from a "loud clanging noise... Suddenly, the noise changes to a softer tingle!"

You can check it out on Tilford's web site:

http://www.tilfordillusions.com/paint%20surprise.html

Ok, it is larger than any of the “ring flight” props available but it is a good alternative for the borrowed ring to impossible location premise. Further, it is more a playlet than a simple trick (putting it more along the line of Malloy’s Ring to Wallet routine).

I doubt if it will be included in the repertory of a walk-around magician (use your ring flight or ring to wallet routine for that venue) but this could be a central routine for the stand-up, comedy club, platform, parlor, and even street venues.

A younger magician might build a patter theme around "tagging" (graffiti).

Personally I like it more than the ring to tea chest (in the tea bag) version and the ring to Zippo lighter (both of which I have and used).
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
First of all, let me explain. The ring never gets sprayed with paint so nobody is going to be upset. You are holding the ring in your hand and shaking the paint can shaking it so they hear the loud clanking sound. As you are shaking the can the SOUND CHANGES from a loud clank to a soft tingle. At the point you show that the ring in your hand has changed to small ball that they put inside paint cans.

The ring is then sprayed out of the can. At no time is the ring in ANY danger, nor does it really get banged around inside the can. It only sounds that way. Once the ring is sprayed out there is NO rattle of any type that comes from the can making this very baffling to most people. It's a mini act in itself and has lots of situation comedy without resorting to one liners.

Devin
IlDaDe
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of IlDaDe
It looks really good, I'm thinking about buying it!
Thanks!
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2953 Posts

Profile of niva
Thanks for the clarification Smile
Yours,

Ivan
IlDaDe
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of IlDaDe
Quote:
On 2007-03-18 18:49, IlDaDe wrote:
It looks really good, I'm thinking about buying it!
Thanks!

http://madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop/......9433a56e

Is mine!
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Wow, this item is too good for a dealer to sell it that low. What are they thinking?
IlDaDe
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of IlDaDe
Quote:
On 2007-03-19 08:03, magicbuilder wrote:
Wow, this item is too good for a dealer to sell it that low. What are they thinking?

I think is a special offer like it was for Interlace..
Two great tricks, two great offers!

PS: sorry for my English, I'm italian:)
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2953 Posts

Profile of niva
At the moment Mad Hatter magicshop is my favourite because of the prices. They also ship very fast for a real shop. I receive mine in Malta in a week. Pretty good.

In fact I will have to get this. The idea is fresh.
Yours,

Ivan
IlDaDe
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of IlDaDe
Quote:
On 2007-03-20 06:57, niva wrote:
In fact I will have to get this. The idea is fresh.

Im buying it too!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Paint can Surprise- Devin Knight (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL