The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Smoking Thru The Eyes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Tudor
View Profile
Loyal user
Columbia, SC
209 Posts

Profile of John Tudor
This smoker has developed a trick of inhaling smoke through his ears or eye-sockets.
After inserting the cigarette in his ear or eye, he scrunches up his face as he takes a drag.

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article.htm......age_id=2

(repost from fark.com)
"Ars longa, vita brevis." (Life is short, the art so long to learn) -Hippocrates
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
I seriously question this. I often times would take a drag and exhale some smoke and hold the rest back and talk without breathing giving the illusion that all the smoke was out. I would then hold the cig to my eye (simmilar to pic) and pretend to inhale andwould then exhale the held back smoke.

Does anyone else have any idea on the lig "ness" of these pics or the stunt.

Anton
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
I have seen, I believe it was on Ripleys, people shooting milk from their eyes for distance. It isn't an unreasonable concept, if you have ever used certain eye meds, you can taste them soon after putting the drops in. I don't know if the direction can be reversed. There is a physician around here that could probably answer this.
Aim To Amaze
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
Yeah Im fimiliar with the concept of the nasil passage being conected to the eye passage. It usualy is a one way street running from eye to nose...hence why we get runny noses when we cry. Some people such as those on rips have been able to force it to being a two way street. Im just skeptical of the suction being tight enough for the smoke to go through.

Anton
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
There are MANY PASSAGES connecting the nasal/ear/ocular portions of the face. They are there for transmitting fluids in and around the face. Usually mucus, lymph and other endocrine system fluids. The problem is that these tubes are like wet spaghetti, so negative pressure would collapse the capillary (plug up one end of a straw and suck on it, see what happens?). Now, slow trickling is different, which is why we taste in the back of our throats a bit of eyedrop fluid when clearing your red eyes before you go to work so your boss doens't know your #ucked UP. But!!! Forward pressure DOES work, so if one were able to control the blowing of smoke/milk whatever thru these passages after "faking" an "inhale" it would be an excellent presentation.

Jeremy, any thoughts?
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
John Tudor
View Profile
Loyal user
Columbia, SC
209 Posts

Profile of John Tudor
You must admit the pic is funny!
"Ars longa, vita brevis." (Life is short, the art so long to learn) -Hippocrates
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
I can shoot liquid from my tear duct, I'm not sure how plausibe smoke is though.

Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
Agreed the pic is very funny.

Anton
jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
I agree that the pic is funny.

It is true that the tear ducts connect to the nasal passages. The eyes have no direct connection to the ears, however. (You could go, middle ear to the eustation tube, into the throat and from the throat to the nasal passages and from there to the ear ducts and to the eye. But there is no direct connection from eye to ear. Also, in the normal setting, the outer ear is usually sealed over by the eardrum. Only the middle ear communicates to the throat. The inner ear is also sealed shut.)

I too am skeptical that anyone could generate enough suction to suck anything through the tear ducts and into the nose. Usually, the reverse can be done--people can take something in their mouth/nose and forcefully push it out their tear ducts (like milk or air--my friend used to do this in high school and you can hear/see the squeaks and bubbles). Smoke could be do-able.

The only way a connection like the one purported in the photo could happen--one that would allow the strong enough suction needed, would be either through some congenital defect or some surgical defect, or as the result of cancer/infection eroding the normal pathways.

As far as the tasting thing is concerned. Often there are two mechanisms of tasting something so quickly even though we didn't put it on our tongue. The first is that it travels from where we put to our tongue (e.g. we put eyedrops in, they go down the tear duct and into the nose where we suck it back into our oropharynx and taste it on our tongue). The second method is that, our mucus membranes are highly absorbable. So if something touches it, it gets very quickly absorbed into our bloodstream. Since one drop of blood circulates around in 30 seconds or so, the dissolved molecules float relatively quickly into our tongue where we taste it. As an example of that last process, there is a procedure I do, where I am sealing up someone's vein with a laser. The tip of the laser, which is inside the vein, forms a focal bubble of steam that vaporizes blood. These products of the vaporized blood circulate in the bloodstream and, roughly 30 seconds after I start the procedure, the patient begins to taste something in their mouth--usually they tell me like a lit match, and ashtray, smoke, burnt toast, onions of garlic.
The Shock Doc
<BR>www.TheShockDocShow.com
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>http://ballycast.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/ballycast-024-2009-03-21.mp3
<BR>
<BR>"....Jeremy Weiss has the greatest card trick of ALL TIME!"--Jamie D. Grant.
<BR>Start listening to iTricks 11/12/09
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Ok, so what I've been trying to find out for years is, can just anyone learn to squirt liquid (or air) out of their tear duct, or is it a function of personal anatomy?
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
First, let me correct a type in my prior post: 3rd line, 4th sentence should read

...and from there to the TEAR ducts. Not "ear ducts".

When I re-read that post, I laughed so hard, it brought ears to my eyes.

Stephon:
Probably a combination of both. I can't do it. Those who could do it, can do it b/c they are built for it. They may not know that, though...so they would have to have "learned" that they could do it.

It would be great though....like a squirting flower gag....or maybe gag (in BOTH senses of the word) hypnosis..."Look deeply into my eyes...deeper...as you gaze into my eyes you are about to feel something wet on your face....." How gross is that?
The Shock Doc
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>"....Jeremy Weiss has the greatest card trick of ALL TIME!"--Jamie D. Grant.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I had a job once, with someone who does this. She'd discovered her ability, when she was drinking ginger ale, the bubbles tickled, and she sneezed.

Another time, I met a guy who could squirt 6-7 feet.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
474 Posts

Profile of FacadeTheStiltBoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FVP3utN7ns

Just throwing that link out of that guy that was featured in Rippleys smoking a pipe through his eye.
jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
It looks great, but I think it is a gaff. I think I see a puff of smoke come from his mouth before the pipe is lit. Also, although I am not a pipe smoker, so I don't know this for a fact, but one would imagine that when you are taking a drag from the pipe, smoke does not rise out of the bowl of the pipe (because it is being sucked into your mouth). In his case, the smoke from the pipe continues to rise from the bowl when he takes a drag.

If it isn't a gaff....he must have been "modified" by means mentioned above.

Fabulous, though.
The Shock Doc
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Magony
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Magony
Great video FacadeTheStiltBoy!

Thanks!
thecalebkitson
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of thecalebkitson
I think this is physically possible through the eye. I have pushed air out of my eyelid before. I haven't been able to repeat it though.
kiteshark
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of kiteshark
I discovered this talent (?) by accident when I was in high school. It only works on one of my eyes. When I used to smoke I could blow a steady stream of smoke from my eye. I've only made it suck air a couple of times.

The clearest demonstration of it I've ever seen is to fill a swim mask with water, put it on and blow a steady stream of bubbles from the eye.

Dave
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Hold your nose than blow with steady force, if air comes out of a duct, then you can do it.

That's how I figured it out.

Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of just_larry
Gaffed?
When was the last time you guys went to a Ripleys Museum. There you can see the full act.
The Gentleman's name is Alfred Langevin.
He was able to does thanks to an enlarged tear duct. He could blow bubbles, blow up balloons, smoke in and out, etc.
This is real and not gaffed.
I have a pitch card for him somewhere.

Just,
Larry
jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
Let me quote myself:
"The only way a connection like the one purported in the photo could happen--one that would allow the strong enough suction needed, would be either through some congenital defect or some surgical defect, or as the result of cancer/infection eroding the normal pathways. "

So by saying that he has enlarged ducts, you are saying he has a congenital defect. This may be the case and therefore, this is one of the acts that cannot be acquired through practice. He has unusual anatomy.
The Shock Doc
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Smoking Thru The Eyes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL