The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Handheld mics. vs. Headset (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Someone at the store admitted that the Audio-Technica was, as fellow Café member and audio expert Michael M. wisely pointed out in advance, much more hi-end than my actual needs. In it's place, (as Michael M. also also knowingly suggested)they have the Sennheiser E835 as a kit, with a mic stand and cable for $118 which will do the job nicely for me.

Thanks Michael for your timely and sage advise! Smile

I should be very satisfied with this exchange.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Great advice received from Dan an Michael via Pm. Thanks guys! Smile
Jonathan
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
804 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
My pleasure, Jonathan. Cheers from Toronto!
Dan McLean Jr
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Dan - Great to see your post here! You have shared a great deal of information here in the past that greatly helped me choose wisely when purchasing sound equipment for my show. I hope you continue to post here from time to time, as technology changes.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Yes, Dan and Michael both really helped to set me straight on this pending mic purchase and both have REALLY helped me in a timely informative manner in the past thru their expert postings and PMs. Smile

On this particular handheld wired mic pending purchase I now know that for my specific needs, a Dynamic/Cardioid mic is what I need ( Bot "super" or "hyper" cardioid).

Thanks guys! Smile

Jonathan
Jonathan
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
BREAKING NEWS!!!!! Smile

I am just back from the Music store and I am pleased to say I now am the proud owner of the Sennheiser E835 mic... Hmmm.... It just happens to be the very same mic that Michael M. recommended to me in his very first PM to me on this subject, and the very same mic that Dan (the Magic Roadie) Mclean Jr. endorsed --go figure! :0

I am very happy with the look and the sound of this mic (as you predicted I would be). Plus, the cost was only $118 and it came as an "E Pak" kit, which includes 15ft. cable and microphone stand (a stand valued at $45 retail!) Smile

So, I am (finally) one happy camper.

BTW, I had considered as you suggested, the next model up from the E835(the Sennheiser E845). But then I read the spec sheet (which I have finally learned to do prior to purchasing) and saw that this is a "super-cardioid" mic (not what I I want, as mentioned in my above postings).

So, Dynamic/Cardioid Sennheisser E-835 it is! Smile

Can't wait to try it out under real show circumstances.

Thanks to sound experts and fellow Café members, Michael and Dan, for their many informative and very timely emails.

And thanks too, of course, to Steve Brooks and the rest of the Magic Café staff for providing this wonderful forum to begin with.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Glad to be of assistance, Jonathan!
robertwong
View Profile
Loyal user
Calgary, Canada
212 Posts

Profile of robertwong
I use a AKG dual wireless system. A headset microphone with a handheld mic, I enjoy using this unit because there is only one receiver for both mics. For small audiences I use a lapel mic and for larger audiences, headset mic all the way. The handheld mic is set for for anyone that needs to make an announcement before the show.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--AKGWMS40DPRES

I would like to mention that the above model has been discontinued, however AKG does have a new series to replace this unit.

Cheers,

Robert.
RSteele
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of RSteele
Love my countryman!
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I use an AKG headset as I do a little vent work in my act. I find it much easier as its always in the right place, you don't have the volume going up or down as you move about
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
wwhokie1
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
I have a gim-crack, it is great for freeing up the hands. Also a mic stand that has an arm, so that you can move away from the stand can be helpful. That pole just gets in the way.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I keep a Sennheiser e845S in one of my audio kits. It works great on a Gimcrack, even when standing in front of the speaker.
tophatevents
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of tophatevents
I just scanned the posts here and I don't think that I found the differences between a headset and a handheld (rather then not having to hold it in your hand)
In general you can assume that a headset has a directional mic, wich means you can only speak directly into it, if you ask a volunteer to speak in your mike it's not that easy...
A handheld is omnidirectional and can pick up sounds from any direction wich makes it more usable for more persons at the same time.
I myself use a wireless headset and a (wired) handheld for when I need to talk to a volunteer.
I chose a wired mike on a stand for volunteers because they never interfere with any wireless devices, they are cheap and give good quality.
As an extra advantage the wired mike doubles as my back-up for if I run out of batteries on my headset or have interference...
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Quote:
On 2013-02-26 04:22, tophatevents wrote:
I myself use a wireless headset and a (wired) handheld for when I need to talk to a volunteer.
I chose a wired mike on a stand for volunteers because they never interfere with any wireless devices, they are cheap and give good quality.
As an extra advantage the wired mike doubles as my back-up for if I run out of batteries on my headset or have interference...

I do the same thing and for the same reasons. I also have a gim-crack for emergent situations, but would never use one as a first line tool because the wireless head mike is far less cumbersome and far more natural looking.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Handheld mics. vs. Headset (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL