The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Lets say (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
dodgechargerrt30
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
158 Posts

Profile of dodgechargerrt30
Lets say I didn't have a year experience in magic (a year isn't much anyway)

and lets say I'm NEW TO IT

I have the royal road to card magic book (on the way in the mail)
MODERN COIN MAGIC (book) on the way
Modern coin magic (dvds) on the way
Expert card technique
some cards
some coins
some good forces I know '
some C&B's
and the Ammar c&B dvds

what else should I consider getting

on a 200 dollar budget in order to have what I need to be a pro in YEARS to come

I do have the year experience

I know how to do the DL Decently
and some other sleights

I can do like a hundred basic PICK A CARD TRICKS lol

but I'm goin to a magic shop tommorow so on my shopping list so far is

ROYAL ROAD TO CARD MAGIC (DVDs)

what else should I get

I posted it somewhere else as well but I will post here so more ppl can read it

THANKS

DC
I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I would suggest getting a copy of "Mark Wilson's Complete Course In Magic." It is a BIG book (almost 500 pages) and will cost you around $20. I have included a link below.

It has magic that covers about all aspects of the art. You will find yourself referring to it often and would make a great start to a magic library.

I have 2 copies of it myself!

Mark. Smile

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/0762414553/......-7279055
dodgechargerrt30
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
158 Posts

Yea I forgot about that one thanks for reminding me I will pick that up somewhere
blink_inc
View Profile
Loyal user
Hamilton
278 Posts

Profile of blink_inc
On the other hand, taking a performing arts course or acting class can give you added confidence in presentation, an important part of the craft.

What kind of performance style are you thinking of?
Stage?
Close up?
Walaround?
Restaurant?

This may help better define what you should "get".

Will//

P.S. Holy Moly by Sankey. I can depend on it anytime to floor jaws.
I am a Sankey addict....please, help me!

My name is Will, my company is Blink, an experience in transposition.
dodgechargerrt30
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
158 Posts

Close up/ walk around

although even though thoose are the 2 main types STAGE magic really facinates me lol

and yea Holy moly looks very good

DC
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Books! And not ones with tricks. My current two favorites are Darwin Ortiz' "Strong Magic" and his new book "Designing Miracles."

These will get you to think how to make the tricks you already know more entertaining.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
You need a show.
Once you make a show, you can add to, reomve from, and tweak it, but best of all, you can perform it.
Magic is fun!!!
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Books, agreed, even DVDs. I wouldn't buy "one trick" DVDs or books. Personally I think the DVDs from L&L's "World's greatest" are pretty good. I have the Linking rings, finger rings and rope magic.

I would look into sponge balls (Mark Wilson's book will give you a good routine), and Ninja Rings... Also the DVD, even though that is against my earlier statement.

If you can make $200 last for years to come, I applaud you. While I probably only really needed that much, I have spent much more.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
In view of your limited budget, I would not buy the royal road DVDs - choosing books instead. The Card college books for example. You can also get the royal road book, as it is affordable.

Andy
Cards never lie
dodgechargerrt30
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
158 Posts

First off its hard for me to learn from print...i have even read the topic on tips for how to maximize learning it just doesn't work for me.

second I already bought the royal road book,
I also have ACCESS to the card college books because a friend of mine has them...i don't really like reading...

I need to buy mark Wilson's complete course though I think I would read that one

also ..JOSH if you think about it learning all the sleights in just ONE of the books I mentioned would take over a year then you learn what to use them for....i would say you could not learn everything in those books within a few years therefore 60 dollars of magic would last you forever...theoretically

and I have spent WAY MORE than 200 dollars on magic since I've started it its just I only have 200 to spend tomorrow...lol
Jlowhy
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of Jlowhy
You might want to check out Chicago Surprise by Whit Haydn. You get an effect that you will definitely add into your repertoire.

You're going to learn as well about presentation, patter and structuring a routine. It's one of the books I read several times over and over to reinforce the concepts in my head. Very enjoyable book.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
The truth is - if you are seriously into magic, there is no way around reading. Yes, it takes some time to get used to it, but the reward is fantastic.
Cards never lie
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
Buy all of these:
http://www.mymagic.com/dvd/dvd-wgm.htm

Lots of pros, lots of professional material, all miracles.
Aim To Amaze
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Dodgechargerrt30, you are more than correct. I have a rather small library (Compared to some here), yet I could spend several lifetimes and not learn everything I have access to.

I agree that $60 could probably get you set for life, depending on circumstances. However, anyone who could stop at $60 is superhuman. It's an expensive bug.

No problem at all with your spending limit. I couldn't have done it, that's more of a slam on my own self control.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
I was going to add Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, but I see it's already been taken care of. You might look into some Greg Wilson material such as Off the Cuff and On the Spot for impromptu routines, and Pyrotechnic Pasteboards and Card Stunts for some insane card work. The Wilson stuff will take tons of practice at first, but if you can put in the time, learning his material will give your magic a turbo boost.
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
You don't need any more books or dvd's !!
Stocking up on more stuff doesn't help.
You will just finish up leafing through the stuff or collecting it.
What will help you is learning what you have now, and then learning how to use and perform the magic/tricks.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
I would say invest in a word processor, but I'm guessing you already have one. I can't express the value of putting pen to paper. You need to plan every single instance of your performance. Every word, every movement, leave nothing to chance. Then you need to edit the hell out of that, never stop editing. Then you need to rehearse your performance till you can't get it wrong. And no, doing walk around doesn't excuse you from this process.

You know 100 effects, but you should only be performing somewhere between 5 and 10.

Though I have not read it personaly, many whose opinion I strongly value have. Darwin Ortiz "Strong Magic".
Doc Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena, CA
151 Posts

Profile of Doc Magic
I agree with Dave, "Strong Magic" by Ortiz is a wonderful book overall for your general development in magic. If you're in to coin work then a must have is David Roth's "Expert in Coin Magic" & "Ultimate Coin Magic" series. You can't go wrong learning from the greatest. As for cards, the "Card Collage" series should keep you busy. Just these recommendations are enough to keep you occupied for sometime. Spend the appropriate time mastering the material vs. blowing through hundreds of effects and never becoming great at any of them.
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."- Aldous Huxley
dodgechargerrt30
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
158 Posts

Thank you all very much for ALL OF YOUR HELP

I just returned from the magic shop and I have 132 dollars left I purchased

some thread (which I need help learning to strip)
some wax
another Svengali deck and booklet
scotch and soda (the half and centavo)
another thumbtip since mine bit the dust
a 24" silk
7 half dollars
a johnson extended half shell

and I think that's about it

they where out of some of the things I wanted

the rest of the money will go into a prepaid credit card so I can buy some more stuff ONLINE...the internet is usually never out of stock

so I will get that here in a minute and then I will have to think hard what I really WANT to get

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH

DC
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
For books, I would like to just add one more to the list. "Maximum Entertainment" by Ken Weber. This book covers performance for magicians, not magic tricks. Many of the
aspects...and more...mentioned by JackScratch are in this book.

If you really must get the DVDs on Royal Road, get the ones by L&L Publishing with R. Paul Wilson.

Personally, I have not purchased Expert Card Technique, as the sleights in it are more advanced than I am prepared to do at this time. Many magicians whom I have talked to do not consider this a beginner's book and have advised me to wait until my card handling is better. These same people have convinced me that Giobbi's Card College would be a better long term investment. I listen to these people because they are professionals in magic and speak from experience.

As for the list of things you already have, you are more prepared to really take this craft seriously than you realize.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Lets say (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL