The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Lets say (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jlowhy
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of Jlowhy
If you got IT and don't have any learning references, get Jon LeClair's dvd on "Who's Afraid of I******** T****"

He teaches a way of stripping IT.
dodgechargerrt30
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
158 Posts

Profile of dodgechargerrt30
Yes I do believe Expert card technique is a difficult book full of difficult sleights wich is why I went and got ROYAL ROAD book

I'm planing on taking this art VERY SERIOUSLY I love it and it is one of the VERY FEW things that make me happy (even if the idiots at my school keep bugging me about it"

"DO IT AGAIN"
"I SAW THAT"
"SO..i can regurgitate playing cards too theres nothing special about that"

lol its hillarious

thank you all again for the sugguestions

P.s
LATER LAST NIGHT I PURCHASED:
a johnson expanded half
Scotch and soda
18" silk blue
7 half dollars
a pro close up pad
Daryl does the full monte
SFS MOnte ( I really wanted to learn this con so I bought the best rescourses for it) I have sals too
a Vernet 3 shell game
and they included another Born to perform t-shirt
and something called BRUISED

thanks again

DC
I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something
dodgechargerrt30
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
158 Posts

Yes I do believe Expert card technique is a difficult book full of difficult sleights wich is why I went and got ROYAL ROAD book

I'm planing on taking this art VERY SERIOUSLY I love it and it is one of the VERY FEW things that make me happy (even if the idiots at my school keep bugging me about it"

"DO IT AGAIN"
"I SAW THAT"
"SO..i can regurgitate playing cards too theres nothing special about that"

lol its hillarious

thank you all again for the sugguestions

P.s
LATER LAST NIGHT I PURCHASED:
a johnson expanded half
Scotch and soda
18" silk blue
7 half dollars
a pro close up pad
Daryl does the full monte
SFS MOnte ( I really wanted to learn this con so I bought the best rescourses for it) I have sals too
a Vernet 3 shell game
and they included another Born to perform t-shirt
and something called BRUISED

thanks again

DC
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
After only six months in magic, I think I would not recommend a beginner start with Royal Road. Instead, I think a beginner should concentrate on self-working tricks, and buy "Card College Light."

Why? Because then the beginner can start performing magic, instead of practicing sleights. I still have trouble with some overhand shuffle controls (though I can do a reasonable pass). But what's my killer trick? Out of this World! Even You Do as I Do is far superior to many of the workers in RRTCM.

So if I were to start again, I'd go through "Card College Light," which teaches routines, not just tricks. I'd learn presentation before sleights. And then I'd improve on those self-workers by learning the sleights that Giobbi recommends adding to them.

Sleights are fun - for us magicians. Killer tricks - self-working or not - are fun for our audiences.

///ark
dodgechargerrt30
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
158 Posts

Yea I see what your saying but I've been researching and practicing magic for a year now so I know how to do many tricks that are not self working the basic pick a card tricks and some coin things and what not so therefore I'm good to go if some one says....do a trick

NOW IS WHEN I'm going to go full throttle and practice stuff from RRTCM and BOBOS COIN MAGIC
I even got mark Wilson's book and it looks VERY NICE I love the illustrations and everything

DC

p.s its probably just me but I was never fond of the Card college series...but then agian I don't want to JUST do card stuff
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
Well, your question did say "let's say I'm new to it," so I was responding to that.

///ark
dodgechargerrt30
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
158 Posts

Yea that's true its just I don't think that I should be spending a lot of time working on SELF WORKING TRICKS....only because the self working trick works itself and its the only trick it works for lol if you know what I'm trying to say

if you learn the standard BREAK and 1 false shuffle you literally can do A LOT OF TRICKS... and it is not self working but with the knowledge of that break and shuffle you can learn more than that one trick that worked all on its own

I hope that was understandable
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Showmanship for Magicians by Dariel Fitzkee
Strong Magic by Ortiz
The first two chapters of a book called the Amateur Magicians Handbook by Henry Hay
The Complete Illustrated History of Magic by Walter Gibson
The Master Magicians and Their Greatest Tricks by Walter Gibson (VERY hard to get, but a gem.)
Close-up Showmanship I think is the title by John Mendoza. Another hard book to find, but a total KILLER title that is often overlooked in these lists.

Best,
Brad Burt
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Quote:
On 2007-03-04 14:50, dodgechargerrt30 wrote:
Yea that's true its just I don't think that I should be spending a lot of time working on SELF WORKING TRICKS....only because the self working trick works itself and its the only trick it works for lol if you know what I'm trying to say

if you learn the standard BREAK and 1 false shuffle you literally can do A LOT OF TRICKS... and it is not self working but with the knowledge of that break and shuffle you can learn more than that one trick that worked all on its own

I hope that was understandable

Faulty thinking my friend.
1. You don't need a "lot" of tricks.
2. The quality of an effect is in it's presentation.

Don't try to do everything, try to do, what you do, as well as it can be done. Quality, not quantity. Learn about a dozen effects you like. Any dozen will do just fine. And perfect them.

Please please please script edit and rehearse. Not just practice, rehearse. Know every move your going to make, every word you going to say, and when and where you are going to say and do them. Perfect your presentation and your effects.
dodgechargerrt30
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
158 Posts

That's..not my point I'm saying that since I know the break and cuts I can do a lot of simple tricks to actually perform in class *wich is all I really do now anyway

that way if someone says hey do a trick I can

And then I will be able to practice a few GOOD TRICKS at home... '

does that make sence
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
In Addition to showmanship for magicians I would also add
Mesklyne and devants OUR MAGIC to your list. Also "Programmes of Famous Magicians" is an Excellent book.
Not tricks just Great insite on your journey
Add to your close up Books
Ugene Burger's "Performance of Close up Magic"
You are correct in studing the basic workings of sleight of hand First! self working tricks are great and get us hooked but these only help when you are new and someone says "Show me a trick" then after you have done the self working stuff for them say Oh yea watch this and produce Fans of cards and Coin flourishes to finish.
MagicianSilver
View Profile
New user
Lynden, Washington
50 Posts

Profile of MagicianSilver
Hey Dodgecharger,
You have been given some very good advice, by magicians that are doing what you seem to want to do. My advice would be to post less about what you think, and listen more intently about what they are telling you. To often young magicans ask for help, but aren't willing to sit still long enough to get it.I will tell you that if your not willing to read, your growth will be severely handicapped. Just my two cents.
"If you're not living on the edge. Then you are taking up too much space.
www.MagicSterling.com
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
Quote:
self working tricks are great and get us hooked but these only help when you are new and someone says "Show me a trick"

Not true. Out of This World will kill and does kill no matter how much experience you have. Same with Lazy Man's Card Trick. Same with trick decks, like ID and Svengali.

Quote:
then after you have done the self working stuff for them say Oh yea watch this and produce Fans of cards and Coin flourishes to finish.

However, a fulltime magician told me that if you can do flourishes, then you can "get away with" self-workers, because the audience will accord you more respect.

Books like RRTCM and Lorayne's "Close-Up Card Magic" include both workers and self-workers. Sleights are important, but presentation is most important. I think a common problem for beginners is to think that "real" magic is sleights. So they practice and practice sleights (and often give up), instead of realizing that magic is about entertainment, not moves. Sleights are an end, not a means.

///ark
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
Quote:
On 2007-03-05 23:22, Michael Taggert wrote:
then after you have done the self working stuff for them say Oh yea watch this and produce Fans of cards and Coin flourishes to finish.

I agree. However, there is a big difference between sleights and flourishes. A sleight is a method; a flourish is an effect. Effects are much more important than methods.

On the other hand, both of my two ex-fulltimer magician friends eschew flourishes. They prefer to give the effect that their magic is not a result of card skill. That's just a matter of their choice of effect, and obviously others desire different effects.

///ark
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Lets say (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL