The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Repeat customers want more tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I am glad you figured that out Derrick. That is the first step.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2452 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Thank you Adam Michael Magic for posting on topic.

Best,

Paul
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20449 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Let me help.

Derrik send me a PM if you have a problem, and as for the original poster, I meant no disrespect or rudeness. If it came across that way I will appologise to you here and now. I am being sincere.

Now the topic may drop and we may continue with only advice on how the situation may be helped, and no need to discuss manners any more. Is this ok with everyone?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2452 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Thank you Dannydoyle. I accept your apology and offer mine for being too sensitive. I hope we can count on the others to drop it as well.
Here is what I am currently doing:

-I am thinking about an ambitious card with blank face cards where the child can draw on the face with a marker. That way they can recognize the card easily and we don't have to worry about suit recognition. I would go blank on both sides but then I wouldn't be able to end with my mystery box by Kennedy.

-I ordered squeekers to play with when doing my sponge ball routine and am considering a change with the routine to breathe new life into it.

-I ordered dirty pool as way to play an imaginary pool game with either children or adults.

-I also ordered holy moly as the plot is simple enough for children to understand yet it will impress adults also.

So I kind of did a variety of things to work on the problem. I followed Dannydoyle and Michael Baker's advice with considering more card tricks.
I ordered Sankey's Hundred Dollar Miracles to get more mileage out of the TT as tbaer suggested. I bought squeekers as D Byrd suggested to add more comedy. If I didn't mention your name please don't be offended, I just quickly went back and looked at who offered what advice. If I missed you I am sorry about that.

Thanks to all for the advice and if you have more I'd love to hear it.

Best,

Paul
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20449 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ok along the card trick vein lets keep going. Kids enjoy "visual" things and quick things.

Cards which "Pop" out of the deck really excite kids. Often it is enough to use it as a runnung gag for the kids. Let them draw on the card and every time you find an adult's card, pop the childs card from the deck.

A TT and silk REALLY works for kids, and fries adults at the same time if done well.

Any "quick" thing kids don't have to follow much really works well. Chop cup routines that don't go on and on. Routines with much more than one phase (I am sorry but usually ACR for kids is a tough sell) really have trouble holding a childs attention. Once it has happened, it has happened. They are not like adults where often doing it again helps.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2007-03-10 12:31, Dannydoyle wrote:
(I am sorry but usually ACR for kids is a tough sell) really have trouble holding a childs attention. Once it has happened, it has happened. They are not like adults where often doing it again helps.

Unless the kids' participation is causing the magic to happen, i.e., they wave the wand, or wiggle the fingers, or push the button... Bob Bengel showed us a great gag item. Staples sells those EASY buttons that when pushed say, "That was easy!" Kids would sit through a tax seminar if they got to push one of those things.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2452 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
ACR maybe would have to be reserved for the older kids. Maybe 4th grade and up. Danny you're right that with the little ones you have to keep it visual.
When you say you make a card pop out of the deck what are you doing to accomplish that? Are you doing a haunted deck method or just springing the card out by flexing it with your fingers?
Michael, I just saw those easy buttons last night in Staples. I can see how a child would like to push it. Too bad they don't make them for magicians that say a magical phrase on the button and audibly. I remember how big a deal it was as a child to get to push the button for the elevator so you may be on to something. Even if you just used a squeeker to "make the magic happen" they would probably enjoy it. I know it isn't as cool as the easy button but it would be easier to carry table hopping. Just a thought.

-Paul
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20449 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I simply mean the card jumping from the deck in some fashion. There are lots of versions in print, I cam across mine completly by mistake so I don't want to describe it and not credit someone if it was already in print.

Do a search on the Café' you will find many methods for doing this. It is a nice running gag for the kids and keeps them involved, and even entertains the adults.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2452 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
There are two I can do farely well. I know of another but I can't do it currently. But I think I have got the drift of what you mean.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Repeat customers want more tricks (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL