The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Book - Walsh or Marshall (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of impossible man
I've got a chance to own either "The Sponge Book" by Frances Marshall or "Sponge Ball Manipulation" by Audley Walsh. Which should it be, and why?

Thanks,
Dean
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Dean,

It is kinda off-subject, but personally I like the DVDs that are out. Patrick Page, Duane Laflin, and Hampton Ridge Magic all have great DVDs on sponge ball magic. Oh, I almost forgot, L&L Magic has their DVD out on sponge ball magic; good stuff.

I have seen the Audley Walsh book, and the same routine is in Tarbell.

I cannot comment on the Frances Marshall book.

David W.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Marshall book, by all means.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
I've got both, and the Frances Marshall book is definitely the better of the two by quite a way.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Is it definitely an "either/or" situation? The Marshall book is the one to own then, but I always liked the Audley Walsh book(let) a lot, and it's presently out of print. If you don't take it, can you send me a lead on where it is? My copy disappeared years ago, and I would love to replace it.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of impossible man
Darkwing,
Yes, I suspect that I got quite a lot for my money on the Patrick Page DVD. I spotted the Walsh book and thought it might be useful, but at present, I am not buying "collectibles".

I then came across the Marshall book with an interesting detailed description that got me wondering.

Don,
Since I have started doing more magic business, I've had to remember not to get carried away with purchase. I've got so much already I haven't mastered, I could put together a complete 30-minute stage act (at least) when it's all ready, which is my attention. Check your PMs for a note from me on the book's location.

Thanks, everyone!

Dean
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5729 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I have both books and I prefer the Marshall book, although I perform a version of the Dacri routine in the Walsh book. I learned the routine from a video of Steve Dacri on TV. Routined Manipulation Finale goes into some of the finer points of sponge work that are usually overlooked - especially one point on the squash move.

I learned a great deal about sponge work from the Mark Wilson Course and Now You See It, Now You Don't by Bill Tarr.

I think it helps to learn from a video, in addition to the books, because you can see how the moves should look when you have it down.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I use the big sponge ball climax that is in the Marshall book. It is very startling.

If you work restaurants, by all means, purchase a bag of 50 sponges. That way, when you lose them, you will have replacement balls that actually match.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Book - Walsh or Marshall (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL