The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How do you pronounce "equivoque" (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
How do you pronounce "equivoque"?

The "correct" pronunciation, according to the English dictionary is "eh-kwih-voke." In French, it would be "eh-kee-voke". But my ex-fulltime magician friend says "eh-kee-voh-kay."

Is this another word like "forte" where people add an accent to the final e that doesn't actually exist?

///ark
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
Well, being french myself, I can say you are right about the french pronunciation. I have always heard "eh-kee-voke" in English... I don't think you should add an accent on the final "E"

Louis Jutras
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
Either way it sounds ambiguous to me!
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
Shakey
View Profile
Veteran user
In over 4 million i've made
360 Posts

Profile of Shakey
I suppose its whatever choice you make.
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
Wise guys. Smile

///ark
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
I have always used the french version,
and I'm English !
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Don't force me to choose!

In our article on "Forcing" in The Wizards' Journal #8 (on my site) we managed to not mention the word even once, thus avoiding the problem. It's kind of like "The Prestige." A hotsy-totsy word that doesn't help communications because you always have to explain what it means when you use it.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
J.Robert
View Profile
Loyal user
Gettysburg, PA
240 Posts

Profile of J.Robert
I believe the word means two different things depending on how it is pernounced. If you ever get a chance to read "Milt Kort's All Outs Think of a Card" it is discussed it in detail. (These are the Ron Bauer Series-- pamphlet type manuals that cost about 10 bucks each and have some really great material--pick a few up).
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
462 Posts

Profile of rgranville
The real answer is - it doesn't matter. The English pronunciation is simply an Anglicization of the French. There are those who claim that the third pronunciation is the "magician's prounciation," but there are as many who dispute this.

Almost everyone in magic circles will know what you're talking about regardless of your choice of pronunciation. If you encounter someone who doesn't, just say, "You know, 'magician's choice.'" If he still looks puzzled, it doesn't matter how you pronounce it, he isn't familiar with the principle.

:banana:
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
It was really just a matter of academic curiosity (and the fact that the two-syllable pronunciation of "forte" is an especial pet peeve of mine).

But the first and third pronunciation of "equivoke" are so different that I have to admit to being confused when my friend used the latter. Of course, having heard it once, I wouldn't be confused again.

///ark
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
173 Posts

Profile of R.S.
My suggestion is to pick any two of the pronunciations, and then eliminate one of those.

Ron
:)
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/equivoque

Click on the little speaker, they pronounce the last part similar to envoke.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
I guess that ended the debate, lol
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

Trekdad
View Profile
Elite user
Telford, PA
445 Posts

Profile of Trekdad
I never knew this.

According to the Ambitiouscard.com, on their DVD easter eggs site at http://www.theambitiouscard.com/eastereggs.cfm Max Maven''s Nothing (disc two) contains "an interesting revelation by Max on the pronunciation and origin of the word "equivoque"". Per the contributor, "on disc two, if you highlight Eugene Burger's Magical Voyages in the same section, you can view" the above topic.
Barnhardt: You have tested this theory?
Klaatu: I find it works well enough to get me from one planet to the next.
The Day the Earth Stood Still
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Hmmm, what did it say about it?

rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
462 Posts

Profile of rgranville
Quote:
and the fact that the two-syllable pronunciation of "forte" is an especial pet peeve of mine

As a musical term, forte is pronounced with two syllables - it's derived from the Italian and not the French.

:carrot:
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
Quote:
On 2007-03-08 08:45, rgranville wrote:
As a musical term, forte is pronounced with two syllables - it's derived from the Italian and not the French.

Oh, believe me, I know. Two things, though: 1) That word is pronounced "FOR-tay", 2) It's a music term. Since people (mis)pronounce "forte" differently and with a different meaning, I don't think the Italian term is really what they're using.

On the other hand, I think "correct" pronunciation is the way most people pronounce words. In that sense, in America, at least, forte is indeed pronounced "for-TAY". But I get a vote too, and I don't like it!

///ark
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
You can't base proper pronounciation on anything coming from the americans.

As for the music forte, I am pretty certain it is used with it's meaing in mind.

Trekdad
View Profile
Elite user
Telford, PA
445 Posts

Profile of Trekdad
Quote:
On 2007-03-07 23:27, gdw wrote:
Hmmm, what did it say about it?

Don't know anything more than the web site, since I don't have the DVD. Was hoping someone here had seen it, though, and whether it resolved this issue in any different way. Since DVD "easter eggs" are mostly hidden, it's entirely possible people who have the DVD have still never seen this one.
Barnhardt: You have tested this theory?
Klaatu: I find it works well enough to get me from one planet to the next.
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Max also talks about it on volume one of his Videomind series.

He says that the "proper" pronunciation is "eh-kwi-voke," but another pronounciation (though incorrect) is "e-kwiv-ok" and since it's referring to a magician's technique, he likes the "incorrect" pronunciation.

Of course it's been a while since I've seen it, so I could be mistaken.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How do you pronounce "equivoque" (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL