The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How do you pronounce "equivoque" (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Cameron Roat
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
726 Posts

Profile of Cameron Roat
Equivoque is pronounced ek-wuh-vohk. However, most magicians use the term incorrectly. An equivoque is simply a word or phrase with multiple meanings. Magician's Choice is equivocation, which is the use of ambiguous phrases to mislead.

And forte as in a strong point is pronounced fawrt. Forte as in loud music is pronounced fawr-tey.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
I am sure that most people do not even understand the meaning of the word Equivoque.
Cards never lie
Forza Azzurri
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Forza Azzurri
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2007, Mark Wilden wrote:
How do you pronounce "equivoque"?

The "correct" pronunciation, according to the English dictionary is "eh-kwih-voke." In French, it would be "eh-kee-voke". But my ex-fulltime magician friend says "eh-kee-voh-kay."

Is this another word like "forte" where people add an accent to the final e that doesn't actually exist?

///ark

Actually, there are two separate words that are overwhelmingly confused and only a word snob of the highest order (e.g., me) still understands the difference. Forte properly pronounced "fort" is from the French and means a strength or specialty but is commonly and overwhelmingly mispronounced as "for-tay" which, though, spelled the same, is a musical term from the Italian meaning to play strongly. The snobs (me) have long lost on this one because the mispronounced "fortay" has become so common as to be accepted as correct (even though it's NOT). I never correct anyone on this, but on the rare occasion where I say "fort" for "forte" correctly and someone corrects ME, I proceed to rip their lungs out through their butt.
Russo
View Profile
Special user
So.California / Centl.Florida
914 Posts

Profile of Russo
Nobody FILLS out the 'profile' anymore - where are you from Azzurri ?
Nikodemus
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
I always thought "forté" (with an accent on the e) was a genuine French word, adopted into English.
But it seems it is not a French word at all - it is an English pseudo-French word.

I pronounce it fort-ay - but I would write it with an accent on the E to reflect that pronunciation.

Forté is a noun (in English)
Forte is an adjective (in French). It is the feminine form (the T is pronounced because of the E at the end). The masculine is "fort" (pronounced FOR - the T is silent).

I see no reason why the English noun "should" be pronounced the same way as the French feminine adjective. That just seems to be based on a poor understanding of French.
If you go around talking about a man's "FORT" people will think you mean his castle!

And Forte (minus the accent) would be pronounced For-TAY in Italian anyway. Who knows the actual root of the English word???

Equivoque is definitely EK-Wee-VOK. Not Ek-wee-vok-ay.

This is the same as clique, pique, unique, baroque, plaque, Monique, mystique, Mustique etc
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How do you pronounce "equivoque" (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL