The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Hard is it to Re-wire a Lamp? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
384 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
I am thinking about buying an old brass lamp that needs to be re-wired in order for it to work properly. This lamp is a candelabra-shaped lamp with five sockets for the five candelabra bulbs. The seller has assured me that the lamp can be easily rewired at any lamp store or hardware store. Is this correct? I know nothing about electricity except that it can shock you if handled improperly. Smile

Thanks for your help!
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2487 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
It is not hard at all. You may have some trouble feeding wires through small spaces depending how the lamp is built, but it is very easy really. Talk to someone who knows what they are doing about making the connections secure and well insulated. That will probably be the hardest part, and that is not too hard either.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I'm absolutely not a tool person and I made a lamp. It is very easy, go to your friendly Home Depot and they can tell you.
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
If it already has the screw thread fitting on the top of the upright post it should be relatively easy. Just buy the bulb holder and a bit of wire, thread it through and whack a plug on it. The holder should just screw to the top.

Mark
Mark Daniel
acmp
View Profile
Elite user
Nottinghamshire
466 Posts

Profile of acmp
Hoodrat, while it is a relatively simple job to rewire a lamp, even if it has 5 bulb holders. you still need to pay attention and check what you have done BEFORE you plug it in!

I don't know what the wiring scheme is in the US so I can't comment on exactly how to do it, but you will want to ensure you maintain your earth connection and that you correctly clamp the exposed wires in the fittings so that there is no possibility of shorting to the lamp stand and giving someone a shock.

When you have finished wiring the lamp use a multimeter (volt meter) to check for consistency and errors.

For those of you in the US who know... Would a brass lamp need an earth? In the UK you would. It would also be fused at around 1-3amps depending on the watt rating.
acmp<><

"Well if I had one wish in this god forsaken world, kids
It'd be that your mistakes would be your own"
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2487 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Although I live in a house that has limited grounding (Earth) I recommend it all the time, if a wire does break or come loose and start to short out, the grounding can save you from nasty shock. But to answer your question, most lamps in the U.S. do not have a ground wire.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Get the correct gage wire and use the existing wire to pull the new wire.
POOF!
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2439 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
I know nothing about electricity except that it can shock you if handled improperly.

Just pay the money and get it done right.
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
384 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Quote:
On 2007-03-05 21:07, rossmacrae wrote:
Quote:
I know nothing about electricity except that it can shock you if handled improperly.

Just pay the money and get it done right.

That's what I'm going to do. I just wanted to be certain that rewiring a lamp was even possible. The lamp I'm buying is on ebay, so I wanted to be sure that it could be rewired before I placed a bid.

Thanks for everybody's suggestions!
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2439 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
CAN it be rewired? NOW you ask!

I would think almost any lamp can be RE-wired - it's a lot more feasible than the common question "I've got this Ming Dynasty porcelain jar, can it be wired as a lamp?"

The reason I suggested that you pay for a professional to do the job is the "five sockets" factor. If it were just one, it should be easy, but 5? Plus there's the matter of trying to take it apart without damaging it.
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
384 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Thanks, Ross, for your help and suggestions. Yes, I'm going to have the lamp (if I win it off of ebay) taken to a professional to have it re-wired. I just wanted to ask people if it was even possible to rewire an old lamp in the first place.

Thanks again!
acmp
View Profile
Elite user
Nottinghamshire
466 Posts

Profile of acmp
Hope you win it hoodrat.

In the UK main voltage items must be earthed, unless they are double insulated. So a brass lamp would, by law, need to be earthed. You can't connect any item to the mains unless the plug has an earth pin either.
acmp<><

"Well if I had one wish in this god forsaken world, kids
It'd be that your mistakes would be your own"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Hard is it to Re-wire a Lamp? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL