The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Stunned silence (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Damian Surr
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
213 Posts

Profile of Damian Surr
Hello all,

I don't think that this is much of a problem in places like America, but performing with people with British reserve can often leave people with stunned silence. I've never really minded this because I know that I'm having a great effect in their heads, but it doesn't look so good to people on the next table or to the person across the room paying the bill.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a big problem for me. I get enthusiastic reactions, mainly. I just think that there are things that I could do as a performer to burst that bubble and make even the Brits more vocal when they've been well and truly fried.

So, my question is, what 'techniques' to you use to burst that bubble of silence when an audience is really fried to the point that they don't know how to react? Looking forward to your responses.

Damian
www.gingermagic.com

iPhone magic apps:
www.CardNowApp.com - iPhone Business Card Magic App
www.armindreader.com – Augmented Reality Magic App
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
I tell them how to react!

Sometimes, when I do card to wallet, the reaction I get is also stunned silence. Since it's my closer and I'm about to walk away from the table, I say something like, "You know, every table that I have performed that for here tonight was stunned just like all of you are right now. But then, they all regained their senses and everyone has given me a huge round of applause."

I say it tongue in cheek, and it never fails to elicit the response I'm looking for. I don't feel like I'm pan-handling for applause, I'm just gently guiding them into the direction I want them to go and creating the reaction that I want the other people in the restaurant (especially the restaurant manager or owner) to witness.

Lyndel
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Damian,

This is a common problem. Mostly because the audience isn't sure if it's time to applaud, and they are afraid to interrupt you.

This would be why you see so many pros literally step forward and take that applause stance so confidently. They are telling the audience....you can applaud now. This works much better than simply saying, "Thank you..Thank you very much"...BEFORE there was any applause...LOL

Your music can also help with an applause cue, but don't rely just on that. Get comfortable with that stance, even if it's a subtle smile and bow. The rest will follow naturally.

One of my favorite lines in the movie "AMADEUS" was when the experienced composer told the more talented (but not appreciated) performer...... "You make too many demands on the audience.....you must give them a big bang to tell them when it's time to applaud."

Best,

Tim
Damian Surr
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
213 Posts

Profile of Damian Surr
Thanks for that.

Has there been much written about the applause cue in Close-Up magic? Any books I should look out for? Or DVDs teaching it, maybe? Probably doesn't even have to be specific to magic.

Damian
www.gingermagic.com

iPhone magic apps:
www.CardNowApp.com - iPhone Business Card Magic App
www.armindreader.com – Augmented Reality Magic App
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Reminds me of the comedian who was sure he "bombed" in Japan. After the show, people came up to him saying, "You were so funny, it was all I could do not to laugh."
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Hi Damian,

I think this brings up an important point - Closure.

Most audiences have no idea that an effect is actually over. Remember, that for the most part, we are performing miracles that they've never seen in their lifetime. When I say, "I'll make these three coins magically travel from this hand to this one," and then proceed to do so, well, what's to say that they won't suddenly change into birds and start flying around the room singing Ave Maria?

They need to know, absolutely, that the effect has indeed ended. And that can be achieved rather easily. Depending on the circumstance, I'll either make a very deep bow (which is taken as funny) and simply say, "Thank You," or perhaps I'll go into the classic, "And spontaneous applause ensues!" and start clapping for myself, which, thankfully, every time has had everyone else join in.

Just let them know, one way or another, that your little play has ended and that they can now show their warranted appreciation.

My 2 cents,

Jamie D. Grant
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I did a show once for about 500 children in an auditorium for a Saturday show. After the show, you could have heard a pin drop. I thought it was very strange, until a woman approached me after the show and said, "These children have never seen a live performance before, and nobody told them how to respond. For them, it's like watching TV, very passive." It's never happened since, but I learned a lot that day.
Coram Deo
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
Yes, I think that television and movies have conditioned people to respond only inwardly, but as a performer, if you're having awkward applause moments (or lack thereof) then it might also indicate that you're not communicating very well, and are not in-sync with your audience. Have you erected barriers? Have you "stepped on" earlier applause moments, so now they're hesitating? These sorts of questions might help.
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
I actually prefer a reaction where people just stare with astonishment. A moment that occurs when an effect hits them so hard that they become speechless is exactly what I aim for. I don't care if someone at the next table doesn't "hear" my audience breaking out into a loud applause because the moment of astonishment is worth more to me (and them) than a moment of entertainment. But don't get me wrong...I'm not saying that I prefer people to react without expression...I prefer people's world to crumble on them to the point where every belief they had ceases to exist. I strive for that moment of silence.
Daniel_Alexander
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Daniel_Alexander
Some great thoughts above. Personally, I don't like to verbally 'tell' people to applaud, even if done tongue in cheek. It is perhaps better than no applause, but ultimately, I think comes across as a little cheap and is not as good as 'spontaneous' applause.

However, in the real world, we don't always get spontaneous applause. Here is just one subtlety to coax it out of people. If one person claps or begins to clap in the middle of the routine, say to them, "Not now, madam, wait until the end so everyone else can join in." This sends the message to everyone that they can clap at the end of the trick, and as you finish, you can really gently nod and smile at the original 'clapper' who will start clapping ferociously, and everyone will join in. This one is very good; give it a try.

Daniel.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Stunned silence (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL