The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » PM manners (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
Greets,

Recently I had a conversation about PM's. Basically I said that I'm somewhat reluctant to just pop up in somebody's in-box uninvited. Maybe that comes from a culture common on other boards where PMs/IMs are usually unwelcome.

The advice was "un-reluct" LOL. I took it to heart, but wonder how everyone else feels about PMs.

Maybe it's the closet part of the closet extrovert taking over.

Best,
Jim
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Send me a PM and I will tell you how I feel. Smile

Regards,
Bill Sutter
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
<<--- too shy Smile
acmp
View Profile
Elite user
Nottinghamshire
466 Posts

Profile of acmp
Jim,

Sad as it sounds I like to get a PM. If I click the happy flashing banner and it turns out to be a broadcast I am a little disappointed.

I guess it is all about what the PM is though, if you're trying to help, or being nice then I don't really see how any one can complain. If you pop up and flame them then I'm sure they won't appreciate it much.

I've had some good PM conversations here, very helpful and supportive. I've not been flamed yet though.
acmp<><

"Well if I had one wish in this god forsaken world, kids
It'd be that your mistakes would be your own"
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
The Pm messaging system here is top notch..it's much improved over the old system they used to have..(thanks Gene!)

It's a great way to carry on a private conversation with someone. I love it. Café gets high kudos on this one.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
I'm with acmp...I like getting random PM's.
It means that someone is actually reading what I write, and paid enough attention to be interested. (Whether it is positive or negative...as long as it is not flaming, I enjoy it)
I've gotten to know several members of the Café pretty well because of this. Some of the harsher PM's I have gotten have turned into discussions which turned into real respect for the person in the PM.
That said...Please! PM me anytime!!
I mean...I am here to learn from my fellow magcians, it is only fair that if I can help in any way, I should take the time to do so.
And I do.
Gwyd
acmp
View Profile
Elite user
Nottinghamshire
466 Posts

Profile of acmp
PM's are like little presents, you see the happy flashing banner and you just want to open it and see what you got.
acmp<><

"Well if I had one wish in this god forsaken world, kids
It'd be that your mistakes would be your own"
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Quote:
On 2007-03-05 16:38, Jim Poor wrote:
<<--- too shy Smile

Sorry, I did not intend to be so aggressive. Smile

Regards,
Bill
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I enjoy getting Pm's'

I always am reticent to PM someone (Am also shy-ish), but I do at times.
The PM function is there for a reason, If you don't like the guy who's PMing you, just delete it.

Met some very nice people this way. They may not be able to say the same thing..... I am kind of a dork.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
We are all members of the same forum here, and have the ability to contact anyone we want with a PM. I am a guy with strong opinions so the PM's keep coming from people who have read something I wrote, and either agree with me, or want further clarification, it's all good stuff. I have never recieved a rude PM, or sent one, so Jim what was your question.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Cinnamon
View Profile
Loyal user
Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Cinnamon
As for me, PMS (no, not pre-menstrual stress) is great. Random PMs are nice too. However, whenever I pm someone, I post in their thread (especially if the discussion is too serious) and tell them I let them a note. I don't want to intrude their privacy by just popping in an instant, though. So I post up, and tell em publicly that I left them something. .Heheh.. So far, I've never received a harsh PM.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
A mailbox with no bills??? Gotta love it!!!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Isn't there a way to turn off PMs in
'Email and Private Message Settings'?

In any case, I don't mind getting PMs but don't often start them.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Cyssa,

Have you seen my cat?

PMed you.

Destiny
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I like PM's. Like Gwyd said..."It means that someone is actually reading what I write, and paid enough attention to be interested."

and ACMP: "PM's are like little presents, you see the happy flashing banner and you just want to open it and see what you got."

Jim Poor...step up, step out and signify!
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Quote:
On 2007-03-05 18:52, Doug Higley wrote:
I like PM's. Like Gwyd said..."It means that someone is actually reading what I write, and paid enough attention to be interested."

and ACMP: "PM's are like little presents, you see the happy flashing banner and you just want to open it and see what you got."

I am going to be uncreative and agree wholeheartedly with what has been said here. I love seeing the flashing banner! It makes me happy inside Smile
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Me too, I like PMs...no one likes to PM me though. Especially girls. Cyssa has never sent me a pm. I'm never rude. What is wrong with me. What. What did I do.
.:Michael Kelley
On the Level, By the Square
Cinnamon
View Profile
Loyal user
Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Cinnamon
MAKMagic, I sent you a PM. He he.
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
At first I was like YAH! Then I realised it's just a pity PM...
.:Michael Kelley
On the Level, By the Square
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
Quote:
On 2007-03-05 18:05, Michael Baker wrote:
A mailbox with no bills??? Gotta love it!!!

Too bad most of them say "Please send PayPay to xyz@pdq.net." Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » PM manners (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL