The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 300 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
I saw the movie, and thought it was very entertaining. The fantasy mixed with history didn;t bother me - the made Xerxes in to a god-like being, and back then he WAS considered a god-king! The orcs/trolls, etc., just seemed to be an analogy as to how fierce the Persian army was, as compared to the seriously outnumbered Greeks. I am looking forward tot he sequel - "300 2: Electric Boogaloo" (just kidding).
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2007-03-13 04:16, elmago wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-03-12 16:10, airship wrote:
This is just the first wave.

In 20 years you won't be able to tell the difference between live and CGI/animation. Even 'mainstream' films will use nothing but CGI actors and scenery. It'll be cheaper, and look better than real.

Actors' estates will be the big winners. Marilyn, Bogie, Gable and many more will come back in new productions. You'll even be able to see Ronald Reagan in 'Casablanca' (it was originally going to be offered to him).

Of course, a few art houses will still be producing live-action films, and occasionally a big-name Hollywood producer/director will do one just to prove he's 'serious' about film. But that's it. Money rules Hollywood, and as soon as it's cheaper to do CGI than live action, that's where the industry will go.

That asumes people buy into the concept. You still need voice actors. The Audience ultimatly decides what is what because they are spending the money.

But hey, The movie made $370 million opening weekend. The highest opening for an "R" rated movie. You never know.
MR

I dunno. When they did "Max Headroom," they had to take a guy and digitally distort him to look like a "digitized person." Today, they could actually make him and probably find voices for him as well. Given 20 years or so, the strange stilted voices we have on the computers these days could be a thing of the past and we could actually have total cyber actors.

I remember they did a "Daredevil" thread on that once where someone was feeding digitized images to the news to confuse the people. This was 25-30 years ago.

Incidently, check snopes.com, Ronald Regan was <never> going to be offered the lead in "Casablanca." The studio just let that out to keep his name in circulation.

http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/reagan.asp
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I watched a documentary on the real 300 (plus 7000) and you wanna find a warrior nation Sparta was it. I don't know if the movie looked into the upbringing of those Spartans or not but it isn't a surprise they marched to certain death.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2007-03-20 01:03, MagicSanta wrote:
I watched a documentary on the real 300 (plus 7000) and you wanna find a warrior nation Sparta was it. I don't know if the movie looked into the upbringing of those Spartans or not but it isn't a surprise they marched to certain death.
In their minds it wasn't "certain death." They were fulfilling the prophecy of the oracles at Delphi, and there was no greater glory than to die in battle in service to their country. In later battles, they eventually DID hold back the Persian empire's expansion, once the Greek state took a unified stand.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
811 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
Let's add a Greek's view to this: the 300 spartans along with their allies did hold the Persians while the Athenians (their sworn ennemy, but then allies against the common persian ennemy) organised themselves better to defeat the huge persian army later on (what they did in Salamis, forcing Xerxes to retreat). Sparta, one of the Greek nation-states (with Athens, Macedonia...), was the best war machine ever conceived; modern armies can only dream emulating the spartan spirit, but that will be forever impossible since I don't see any country taking their 7-year old healthy boys (the unhealthy would have been tossed over a cliff) from their moms to make them killing machines, bred to survive under any circumstance, taught to live only to protect Sparta and their fellow spartan hoplite, without ever being given food enough to make them steal, without ever being clothed enough to make them adjust to the tough Spartan winters... Sparta had no walls around it, since a wall of men, especially Spartans, was more effective than any wall of stone. Spartans used no bows for war (only to hunt), since bows and arrows are the weapons cowards use. Spartans fought man to man. Sparta had two kings, always. When the Persians started their invasion, it was a sacred spartan period when fights were not allowed. One of the two kings, Leonidas, gathered 300 expandable men (they had at least one son), and marched for the first suicide mission ever recorded. Their aim: die for Sparta, achieving what they were brought up for.

I enjoyed the movie very much, and those who have been disappointed must have thought they were going to watch an accurate reenactment. No rhino or elephant took part in this battle, nor has been any written record of a chained persian giant who almost prematurely put an end to one of Greece's greatest heroes... But fact remains: 300 spartans did fight to the last, showing the Persians that their fame throughout the antic world as the perfect killing machine was well-deserved.

Later on (more than a century after the Persians were sent back home) Alexander the Great, a Macedonian, would unify the Greeks and conquer Persia, without ever loosing a single battle. But that's another long story. And another hollywood movie.

Have a nice day

Phedon
...The only easy day is yesterday...
Cinnamon
View Profile
Loyal user
Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Cinnamon
Phedon,

Thank you for the very informative post! It makes me love the spartans more. Seriously, I want one... *sighs*

Cyssa
phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
811 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
Ah ah ah... Cyssa, if the avatar picture is accurate, you won't have any problem finding one Smile ... Just come to Greece!

Happy you liked the post.

Phedon
Cinnamon
View Profile
Loyal user
Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Cinnamon
Quote:
On 2007-03-28 01:57, phedonbilek wrote:
Ah ah ah... Cyssa, if the avatar picture is accurate, you won't have any problem finding one Smile ... Just come to Greece!

Happy you liked the post.

Phedon

You mean there are spartan killing machines who still roam greece? WOW!
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Hey, we'll make one up for you in my country, Malaysia!

We're closer btw! Lol!

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
811 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
Quote:

You mean there are spartan killing machines who still roam greece? WOW!

Ah ah ah... I myself have some spartan blood... But we're no longer killing machines Smile , although Spartans still have a 'tough cookie' reputation in Greece.

Phedon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 300 (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL