The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Best Book on Card Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
I think that there is simply no best book. What is the best book for a beginner, an intermediate and an expert? What kind of card tricks do you like - gambling routines, four ace tricks, stacked decks . . ? Depending on your background and preferences, there will be a best book for you.

On top of that, in many cases, we judge a book also by the sentimental value/memories attached to it.
Cards never lie
Ryan clark
View Profile
Loyal user
Spruce Grove ,AB
236 Posts

Profile of Ryan clark
That's true, especially if you have met the person, or have been referred to the the book by someone you respect.
Any Effect Is Possible, methods are relativley easy to come by, but it is the effect that takes true courage to come up with

Sankey
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Quote:
On 2007-06-04 20:12, Andy the cardician wrote:
I think that there is simply no best book. What is the best book for a beginner, an intermediate and an expert? What kind of card tricks do you like - gambling routines, four ace tricks, stacked decks . . ? Depending on your background and preferences, there will be a best book for you.

On top of that, in many cases, we judge a book also by the sentimental value/memories attached to it.

Exactly, Andy! Smile The original question was: What would YOU consider to be the most USEFUL book on card magic?
Erdnase? Kaufman? Andrus? Hugard?
Let me know the name of YOUR favorite book: The one you could not do without.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
First, I would probably base the decision on the number of ideas in a book that I would choose to use, and the number of effects I would choose to perform; i.e., having an encyclopedia of sleights outside my skill set or a number of routines outside my tastes is of no value to me.

That said, I'd probably choose John Bannon's Smoke and Mirrors, with his Dear Mr. Fantasy a close second.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Autumn Morning Star,

There is no book I can not do without, as the knowledge is absorbed once it is read. For example - it was great to read about the double lift of Ken Krenzel, but once I learned the secret, the pages are a nice collection to revisit, but the secret is part of me.

So I guess, I have to interpret your question as "what book did make the biggest difference in your life as magician?"
Here, I am probably bound to go back to the RRCTM or EATCT as it layed the foundation that was necessary for me to progress. No basics, no magic.

Then, departing from the beginner state, there was another book that really shaped my magic, bringing me to an intermediate stage.
From there . . and so on and so on.

And then there was STRONG MAGIC that shaped my magical thinking . . .

The answer is . . it depends.

Andy
Cards never lie
Ryan clark
View Profile
Loyal user
Spruce Grove ,AB
236 Posts

Profile of Ryan clark
I would say the complete works of derek dingle, written by richard kaufman. with dear mr fantasy runner up followed by totally out of control by chris kenner.
Any Effect Is Possible, methods are relativley easy to come by, but it is the effect that takes true courage to come up with

Sankey
Jonathan_Miller
View Profile
Loyal user
CT
211 Posts

Profile of Jonathan_Miller
I've actually had to answer this question for myself for practical purposes a few times before. With all the moving around I do and the fact that I get in and out of magic every so often I have bought and sold the majority of my book collection a few times. As it stands now I only have a couple shelves of books and these are the ones that I felt would be the most useful and enjoyable for those times when I decide to become a diehard los...i mean magician (just kidding). I try to pick books that are either full of technique (Revolutionary Card Magic), full of routines (Apocolypse), or both (Enchantments, Complete Works of Derek Dingle). Books like Strong Magic are important but it doesn't give me something to come back to every couple of years or so and jump right into. With books like Erdnase the material is so dated that for the most part it is only of academic use. Besides that most of the usable material is described better elsewhere or has been improved upon. Anyway my favorite is Collected Almanac. Its contains a lot of material from the guys Kaufman would later write for, contains a variety of material and contains both techniques and routines. Its certainly not the best book but I don't know what is and calling any book the best would only lead to pointless debate (i.e. debates that don't lead to any decent resolution). So yeah, Collected Almanac is my pick. If nothing else its funny to read about the bickering that went on back then.
Phil J.
View Profile
Elite user
467 Posts

Profile of Phil J.
I think two important elements have been missed from the debate of best book for a beginner- and that is cost and availability. Royal Road is available from most good book shops for £9.99 while Card College is £28 and is not generally available.
You were born original... Don't die a copy Smile
mchristy
View Profile
New user
Raleigh, NC area
25 Posts

Profile of mchristy
It is kinda pricey, but I'd have to say Card College. For the amount of information, the detailed drawings, and great descriptions, it's hard to beat.
Ember
View Profile
Regular user
London
121 Posts

Profile of Ember
I'm with Andy on this. 50% of my current act is from Cardshark from Darwin Ortiz, but if I never saw the book again I would still be performing the same material.

So:
Favorite book: The Experience of Magic by Eugene Berger, I've never performed anything from it but am constantly inspired by reading it.
Most Useful: Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz
Best book on Magic: Card College (vols 1-5) you could never read another book(s) and still be great.
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Autumn Morning Star,

I've given this a lot of thought and my answer to your question lies on my nightstand. I have six books sitting there between two bookends. Four of them are the Fulves "Self-Working" card books, just for fun. The other two are Close-Up Card Magic (yes Harry, it really is good) and Royal Road to Card Magic. If I had to grab just one before everything fell into the sinkhole, it would be Royal Road to Card Magic.

For all the Giobbi enthusiasts... I think Card College (all six of them are on my bookshelf in my living room) would just be too impractical to grab. I'd end up dropping half of them. Plus with Royal Road to Card Magic, I have room for the other books on my nightstand!

I have just one other question... What about my DVD's?!?!?!
Ember
View Profile
Regular user
London
121 Posts

Profile of Ember
I've large hands.

I was going to write the best book on magic is 13 steps to mentalism but decided it wasn't cardy enough. I've learnt more by studying mentalism than reading almost any book on card magic (although that is all I perform).
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

Ah, DVD's? Well, Fritz, that sinkhole pretty much got the computer, tv, and dvd player. You would be simply left holding a shiny disc. Alas, you could only use that disc to signal to the local TV chopper for help. Aren't you glad you grabbed books Smile

Ember, Corinda is a fine selection. Don't worry about being "cardy" enough. You could always grab Erdnase and stack it on top of Corinda as you flee the sinkhole, just in case someone gives you a tough time.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Ember
View Profile
Regular user
London
121 Posts

Profile of Ember
I've a handy line in 'Cards as Weapons'. Bagged me a rare black toed Piatnik the other day. Delicious.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

Ember, you should have clubbed it to death. Smile
Doug Henning
bill7
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia, USA
212 Posts

Profile of bill7
Autumn Morning Star, when are you going to South Dakota??
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

I PM'ed you, Bill.
Doug Henning
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
Phil, Card College is readily available to anyone with an Internet connection.
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Yes indeed, Autumn Morning Star! I always feel better about spending my time in a book than with a DVD. Another upside to the books--they don't require electicity to use them which means that with the money I save on my electric bill, I can buy another house... eventually.
Troels
View Profile
Loyal user
Denmark
205 Posts

Profile of Troels
Very interesting thread.
My inside magician has been asleep for many years - mostly because I lacked the right, usable material. Didn't know what to buy, where to start, what to practice.

I would like to comment on the discussion about the best books on card magic from my own experience.

The funny thing is: I have bought several of my books in the "wrong order".
As a young beginner I found "The Encyclopedia af Card Trick" (Hugard & Braue) in a bookstore. It wasn't of much use to me because I didn't know how to build the many fine secrets into interesting routines and presentations. Furthermore I had to leave out tricks that demanded complete false shufflings, palming, shifts and many other basic sleights. I got tired of searching for the few "interesting" tricks I could perform technically.

Then I accidentally managed to get a copy of "Expert Card Technique" (same).
That was very interesting, a new world, but also frustrating, because much of the material was too advanced for my level (and the DVD was not invented yet).

Half a year ago I got the message here at the Café: Go The Royal Road!
After working with that book (and some other beginner's books and videos) for a couple of months, the two other books have completely changed. Their value to me has been doubled - or tripled!

My conclusion:
The best book for you depends on your personal situation, and what you need just now. If a certain book solves your actual problems with theory, presentation or sleights, then it is a bargain, a treasure, and you will love that book for the rest of your life.

If you get a certain book (or video) too early or too late in your personal magical development it is difficult to appreciate its real value for other people.

By the way: I find that the same is true for music and literature.
Trolle
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Best Book on Card Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL