The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » How To Emulate a Good Performer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Craig Peterson
View Profile
New user
Utah
89 Posts

Profile of Craig Peterson
When you begin learning magic, where else do you start than by emulating an experienced magician? I realize that there has been lots of discussion on how it is so wrong to copy another's performance, but that is only part of the story. We need to emulate those artists we admire in order to develop ourselves.

For example, when I purchased Whit Hadyn's Mongolian Pop Knot Routine, I performed it just as he had it outlined. Not a bit different. Performing this routine has been a pure pleasure for me. I have really enjoyed it and think the audiences have too. What's more, I have really learned something. I might break out from this mold someday, but for the moment, I'm still harvesting from the original.

So my subject is, how do we succesfully and appropriately emulate another performer? Do we ever stop this emulation or does the way we emulate just evolve? How do we know when we should add some of our own touches in? How do we select a performer to emulate? How exactly should we mimic his performance? And so forth . . .
Michael Kamen
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakland, CA
1315 Posts

Profile of Michael Kamen
Great topic Craig, and congratulations on your wisdom and good fortune, in finding such a great role model as Whit Haydn out of the gate.

My thoughts on some of your points: Over time, one gets a sense of who one is and what one wants to say and project as a "performance character." It may never be too early to start thinking about this, but I think in the beginning, one needs to learn the fundamentals. Like audience attention management, sleight of hand, how effect interacts with story and how audience responds to both, and much more. Using good material, written and designed by someone else, allows you to learn these things as they are built into the work. The routine becomes a model or archetype that you internalize and learn to apply.

How long it takes to find your own character may be a function of how driven you are to perform and gain recognition. Using the material of another in the manner appropriate to you as student, may be perceived as bad form or worse once you present yourself as "good enough to make a living doing this."

I'll sit back now and listen to what others have to say about this. Best of luck to you.
Michael Kamen
karbonkid
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of karbonkid
I think you will ultimately seek out and emulate good performances, or at least, performances that draw you in. That connection is what attracts you to magic, and attracts you to being a magician, so that you may enstill that in your audience. I think in time you will learn to take pieces from these things and build yourself. Kind of like a magical frankenstien if you will...but emulation/copying/etc. is always the first step. You have to have a good mold to build from.

What you will notice that even if you do Whit's routine beat by beat, that you will change it all the while. Small subtle changes that, over time, will result in your performance of an effect.

For example, my best friend, in magic and life, shared with me a signature fusion routine using all sleight of hand and no gaffs. It was nothing short of an incredible routine...and I performed it just as it was taught to me. Over several years of performing it, I was discussing this routine with my friend, and mine had evolved over that time period to be not a lot like the original. Which was fascinating when you think about it. From my version, I have been able to create more routines based on his original. But without that original...I was nowhere, and through copying, it became mine.
spiralsorcery
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of spiralsorcery
Don't limit yourself to just magicians. Look for anyone who has a stage presence that attracts you. Notice what they do and how they do it. Try and take that "essence" and fold it into your own performance.

Another thought...Look to the routines of others to help you discover the principles of the routine and a suggestion on how it can be presented. Ultimately you need to discover how you work, perform and express yourself best so be careful you don't emulate someone else at the expense of yourself.
Reality is not only stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we are *able* to imagine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » How To Emulate a Good Performer (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL