The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » FAKE magic trick--cards, Harry Anderson: help with the name (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
Does anyone know the name of Harry's trick that uses the Five, Ace,King and Eight and ends up with marks on the backs of the cards spelling out F-A-K-E?

Thanks!
Ellen
harryandersonfan.com
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Ellen,

I believe it is the original version (same name) as the one I sold you.

X
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
Jumbo marked??

Help--I'm a little slow!

LN
harryandersonfan.com
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
I believe it was "Fake Jumbo Marked" or just "Jumbo Marked" since the first name is sticking in my head more, that would be my final answer, if memory serves.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5359 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Ellen,

The trick called “Jumbo Marked” that Shawn refers to is often advertised as Harry Anderson’s favorite trick. However Jumbo Marked does not end up with the word “FAKE” on their back.

In Jumbo Marked you explain that you will memorize the faces of a fan of jumbo cards. The BLUE backs of the cards are clearly visible to the audience during this superior feat of mental gymnastics.

The cards are fanned toward the audience and a spectator asked to call out the name of one of the cards.

Obviously inspecting the backs of the cards, you offer a couple of clever quips, and then correctly remove the named card from the fan!

"What? You say the cards are marked? Yes!! But, it's so subtle that you might not notice!"

The named card is turned over and shown to be a red backed card, with the value marked on the back in a GIANT BLACK NUMBER!

The entire pack of cards is now fanned with their backs towards the audience. All of the cards are now red-backed and marked with five-inch high black numbers!

It can be bought from Hank Lee's.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
ScottSullivan
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of ScottSullivan
Actually, I think she's referring to a routine I remember seeing Harry do on some 80's TV special. If I recall correctly he told a story about his grandpa teaching him a little lesson about hustling with what Harry later learned were marked cards. At the end Harry revealed the markings. They were printed block letters on blank backs...an "F" (for five), an "A" (for ace), a "K" (for king) and an "E" (for eight) and said, "Grandpa also taught me how to spell". Great bit! Amazing that it's stuck with me this long after a single viewing years ago.
I've never seen it marketed and it may well be original. I believe Harry worked quite a bit at one time with the principal behind the marketed "Marked" effect and "FAKE" most likely worked with the same kind of gaff.
Hope this helped.
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
JUST asked Harry!!! THE FAKE trick is simply called "Grandfather's magic trick". He did not sell it or market on it--but that's what it's called!

Ellen
harryandersonfan.com
waianaeboy702
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of waianaeboy702
The best color monte that I've had was the las veags monte available at Houdini's magic shop in las vegas. I've worn out 4 pairs and carry it with me all the time. Very inexpensive but great effect if you like telling stories.
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
761 Posts

Profile of 61magic
Scott is correct, Harry Anderson did the routine on a tv special called "Magic in the Magic Kingdom".
I have it on VHS (shows my age) and it is really a well done routine.
If anyone is lucky enough to get Harry to release the routine I would love to get a copy also.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
One of my first packet tricks was from Bob Jardine's lecture notes, simply called "Marked Cards" which seems to be a variant on "Backflips" and several other similar packet tricks.

Instead of simply writing the names on the back of the cards the way he described, I stenciled on bold F,A,K E letters using the same cards as in Harry's routine, but without his story. It's one of my favorites to this day, but I've been hesitant to perform it since I found out the line was Harry's, and I never used the "Grandfather" story or anything remotely similar.

If it makes you feel any better, Harry's lecture at WMS pretty much said "Please, take whatever I've done. Use it! I hope it helps ..." or words to that effect. I suppose technically though, only the people in the audience were given this express permission. But since he never published the word "FAKE" I still don't know if it's fair game or not. Smile
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Ellen, I just tried to look up your website on Harry Anderson and all that popped up was some site for celebrity photos.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
valueduser
View Profile
New user
Batavia, ny
77 Posts

Profile of valueduser
I have been trying to figure this one out for years. As it happens I just got a copy of Michael Ammar's classic renditions #4 in which he performs this trick. It is originally by John Cornelius and titled Marked for life. In the dvd Michael does it with regular sized cards but it can be adapted to jumbos like harry used.
bclay
View Profile
New user
Lake City, Michigan
71 Posts

Profile of bclay
I was able to talk to Harry Anderson a few years ago (through emails)about this trick. He referred to it as the "grandfather trick" and he said that at that time he had no plans to release it. He did say that you could do something similar through the use of the Jumbo Marked Cards. But as mentioned they will not spell out FAKE at the end. It would just be 5 A K 8.
Hope that helps you out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » FAKE magic trick--cards, Harry Anderson: help with the name (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL