The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Mismade bill serial number (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
kiteshark
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of kiteshark
Bob's right, the odd digit is not at the end of the serial number. The last 3 digits are common on the entire sheet.

The first mismade bill I ever bought was doctored and the serial number was fixed. Don't know who made it. But good routining eliminates the problem.

I always size up the spectators before performing this trick and I know who will inspect the bill. After letting the effect sink in and turning the bill over several times I say "Feel this, it's a real bill. And there's no scotch tape, is there?" When I let the inspector feel it the bill is face down and I don't let go. This is the cue that they don't take the bill, they just inspect it. And while they're looking at it I've already started the next lines that set the pace for me to take the bill back and continue with my effect.

It's all about spectator control.

Dave
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
I show the front and back, then when I let them touch the bill, I have it back-side up.

"No tears, no tape. You can even FEEL the green ink....it's real!"

And then it's on with the routine. After maybe 1000 performances of the Roger Klause version of the switch since '84, I'm convinced it's just not an issue if you have good spectator management and a good script. (And I've got at least four or five different routines with different bills, including the MM one.)

And if you don't want to do a MM bill routine......no biggie! There are 29,000 other tricks out there.....plenty for everybody!
;-)
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Skotster
View Profile
Regular user
Belle Vernon, Pennsylvania
109 Posts

Profile of Skotster
If you also own Fraud by Daniel Garcia, you can combine some methods to make the serials match, you can even make them match the original bill if you are so paranoid.
SWNerndase
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of SWNerndase
Mismade Bill is no longer in my active repertoire. But I did the effect for years, and I know from experience that some people do notice the different serial numbers if you hand the bill out. Not everyone, not every time, but enough that I thought about a solution.

I was using an origami presentation also, and I wanted to create the impression that it was the same bill, folded and contorted in some unimaginable way. I found that if I handed it out some people would correctly conclude that this was not the same bill, and a switch had occurred. But just showing it to them in mismade condition without letting them feel it left many to surmise that the bill was cut and taped or glued or something.

So my solution was to reveal the mismade bill, and then hold it face down by one end (serial numbers hidden) and let a few people close to me feel the seams. I did not let them feel it for long, or let it out of my hands, and I tried to give the impression that if they held it themselves they would discover the secret. This protected me from serial number problems, gave them the full effect of the bill being a single solid sheet, and this idea that you might discover something if you held it yourself helped convince them that it was the same bill and I had "done something" to it.

SWN
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
It takes only a few minutes to remove one of the numbers.

A spectator has no idea that their are two matching numbers.

I did the missmade dozens of times a day in a magic shop of all places and NEVER got asked about why a few numbers on the bill did not match.

If this "number thing" is a big thing in your life consider doing this.

Remove one of the numbers.
At the start of the routine, ask for their bill and sign your name on the bill (in the center or in an un-busy spot. The mismade bill you hand them will have your signature split in four (as mine do) or just moved logically to a new spot. If you decide to give them the mismade (as I do) they have a wonderful souvenir and it has cost you a whopping $1.50.

Bob
Max Krause
View Profile
V.I.P.
I should be creating magic with my
1188 Posts

Profile of Max Krause
I have solved the serial number problem. PM me for details.

Max
antonuccio
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
132 Posts

Profile of antonuccio
Never ever been questioned. They're shocked...
Santini
antonuccio
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
132 Posts

Profile of antonuccio
By the way, I perform the "stunt" with 10-euro note...
The most talked about effect I do. Fantastic.
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
Michael Close has a neat little touch on the Mismade Bill in his Rubik's Dollar Bill from the Workers books. (can't remember which it's in) Where the bill he's using for a different effect has two holes in the middle so a toothpick can be put through the bill when it's folded lengthwise. After he performs the lead in effect, he follows it up with the midmade bill. The thing that sells it is that the holes move to where they should be had the corners of the bill actually moved. It's very clever and really sells the condition of the bill in a way where the serial numbers are a non-issue.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Where one can obtain mismade bill in euros? never encountered magic shop that sells em and I would assume that lowest bill is 5 euros so ordering a sheet from bank isn't that cheap either... Smile

Juha-Matti
spetz
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of spetz
I haven't found anyone selling individual mismade Euro bills, however if you can afford it;
http://www.t-c-w.de/index.php?cPath=228_10_112
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Mismade bill serial number (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL