The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Does 'magic' still exist? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

skabopoewich
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of skabopoewich
I do magic in a bar, and I noticed something about people's ideas on magic.

That is that they don't believe in magic
(of course) Still, unless they've been studying magic for years, then I guarantee that they don't know how I do my tricks.

I've even had a lot of guys that really won't even pay attention to the trick, I guess because they're pretending like it doesn't impress them.
Like "ya ya, I've seen card tricks before..."
Well, really if they would just pay attention then I know they'll get burned.

So what's up? How do you get a roomful of drunks to stop thinking they know all the answers?

Remember that, in fact, they do not know how the tricks work... it's just a mindset sort of thing.

The response to my magic is normally good, but I guess it just takes a little bit of cooperation and attention from the audience.
(Try telling them that after they've had a few)

My style is quick, flashy, and visual.
(not long, boring, and hard to follow)

So what's going on?
How should I deal with the know it alls???
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
You have to ask yourself several questions here.

One, why are you performing for drunks? Are these your friends or are you inflicting your magic on the unsuspecting? If it is the latter then most likely these guys are there hang with their friends, unwind, or just get away from it all and the last thing they want to see is some poser doing card tricks.

Two, Is your intent to fool these guys or entertain them. If your just out to fool them then there is no emotional hook to engage them, your merely presenting a series of puzzles. You have to draw them in by giving them something to care about. Starting off with some bar bits or tests of skill would peak their interest more than any ambitious card routine you could devise. Once you have got their attention then the magic can begin.

Three. If your looking for jaw dropping reactions then this is the completely wrong audience to achieve this with. Think of the inhabitants of the bar as a pack of wolves with each one vieing for the top dog spot. An emotional reaction to anything you do can result in loosing face. Even if you absolutely fry someone they're not going to admit it and take a chance of being seen as weak by the rest of the group. You need to work on less confrontational effects, less one on one stuff. Try to find effects that can engage several people at the same time without singling out any one particular patron.

Bars and pubs are tough venues, their noisy dark and your audience is usually impared in one way or the other.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Isramagia
View Profile
Regular user
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
114 Posts

Profile of Isramagia
"getting burned" is not very entertaining; it also presents your magic as a challenge. This usually results in resentment, etc. I generally stay away from intoxicated folks Sometimes it is unavoidable and since I'm being paid to be there, I do my best and move on. I don't know if this helps but.... Smile
Izzy
shobley
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis
81 Posts

Profile of shobley
When performing I have found that quite often people will reflect you. So whenever people are confrontational, it usually means that I'm being too confrontational.

The solution is to tailor your performance to suit the needs of the audience. You work for them, after all.

...and avoid certain groups at all times.

Steve
rkrahlmann
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of rkrahlmann
We can't demand the audience have any attitude, such as paying attention, especially working in a restaurant or bar. They might not want you around. They may be more interesting in picking up someone, or involved in a conversation, or just not like magic. Or they may be drunk (the worst audience).
On the street, people stop to watch. On stage or in a club, people have paid to see magic. In a bar (unless specified otherwise), a magician is supplemental entertainment, like a jukebox or dartboard. It may not be for everyone. It you get a bad response, move on and don't take it personally.
Vaclav
View Profile
New user
Now Seattle. Before? Who knows.
68 Posts

Profile of Vaclav
Usually the the drunks are in the bar to drink and not to watch magic.
Besides, yes they do know everything and you can't change that.
Also you should not "burn them" but entertain them.If your approch is " let me show you how good I am and you can't catch me 'couse I know more then you do" then you are getting yourself in no win situation.
Maybe try a little exercise. Go to the table and just talk to them without doing any magic.And if you can get their attention like that, then and only then do something for them.
Vaclav
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Payne pretty well covers it all in his post.

Remember, the main reason patrons are in a bar is not to watch magic!
It is not even the second reason.
If you are really lucky, it might be the 45th reason!

If you are working in a bar, the object is not to "inflict" magic on the patrons, but to make their time there as enjoyable as possible. (Note: "Their time", not "your time")

If you are a patron yourself and insist on "inflicting" magic on other patrons, then you will possibly find yourself in a small heap in an alley outside!
Jack Bryce
View Profile
Regular user
Edinburgh UK
130 Posts

Profile of Jack Bryce
I think Peter and Payne have said it all, what Peter said about not even being the second interest or the 45th is right on the money! Most patrons at a bar are there to drink and chat up women and as Payne said, should be viewed as a pack of wolves baying for the top dog spot. Anything you do that is confrontational won’t go down well at all.

If you have to perform at these venues, because your paid to be, then you have to restructure your act to one of non confrontational routines that will appeal to this type of audience, interact with them, talk to them and become a part of their group, then show them some magic, but be prepared to be rejected. If your there just because you want to be, then I would say find another audience, its also already been said, if you can, avoid drunks they are the worst type of audience. Smile
http://www.jackbrycemagic.co.uk

I never forget a face but in your case I will gladly make an exception...Groucho Marx
cardfreakhk
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong SAR
585 Posts

Profile of cardfreakhk
Quote:
"Also you should not "burn them" but entertain them.If your approch is " let me show you how good I am and you can't catch me 'couse I know more then you do" then you are getting yourself in no win situation."

I completely agree, you are not David Copperfield in the bar, it's your job to entertain them. Don't be angry, you get paid.

Work hard for entertain those *****s!

Michael Lam
Smile
Don't just dream, stay awake and action!
skabopoewich
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of skabopoewich
Hmm...
Thanks guys for the replies!
As usual my post was misunderstood by the lot of you.
I mean, just because I said if they watch, they'll get burned....
doesn't mean I have a confrontational style, or that I'm expecting too much from them, or forcing my magic upon them!
I mean, give me a break!
I thought you guys would know what I meant.
Still, some of that advice was good.

Really, I am careful about who I show what to, magic wise.
First I'll watch them, see if they look like they could use some entertainment. After a while you get good at spotting the ones who will be interested.
Then I'll approach them and ask how everything is going, ask them their names and get to talking a little.
If they perk up to that, then I'll steer things into the magical direction, but even then, I normally start with a trick that's quick and doesn't require much from them.
In this way I can judge their reaction.
If they are receptive, I'll launch into a whole bit, but if not, I may just leave it at that and be on my way.

Strangly enough, some of my worst customers have been the friends of people I've really impressed! I mean they go brag to their friends about me, and bring their friends back to see... and sometimes those friends they bring back are the jerks!
I wonder if it may be because they missed out on my usual screening process?

Well anyway, bar magic is not as bad as you may think! I'm getting a LOT of experiene working with so many different types of people, so that can't be so bad.
Pays well too.
Vaclav
View Profile
New user
Now Seattle. Before? Who knows.
68 Posts

Profile of Vaclav
Quote:
Hmm...
Thanks guys for the replies!
As usual my post was misunderstood by the lot of you.
I mean, just because I said if they watch, they'll get burned....
doesn't mean I have a confrontational style, or that I'm expecting too much from them, or forcing my magic upon them!
I mean, give me a break!
I thought you guys would know what I meant.
Still, some of that advice was good.

I'm not sure now if I knew what you meant, so I try again just to answer the direct questions.

Quote:
So what's up? How do you get a roomful of drunks to stop thinking they know all the answers?

You can't.

Quote:
So what's going on?
How should I deal with the know it alls???

Leave them allone and move to the next group.
Vaclav
SKILL
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
145 Posts

Profile of SKILL
YES Magic is alive
trust me
In order to arrive at perfeccion
you must go through the failure
Japanese Thoughts
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Does 'magic' still exist? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL