The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » A Friend of Magic With a Long Road Ahead (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Magic, as a branch of theater, is a fragile art form. Besides the skills that we work so hard to master, a magician needs venues and audiences. When I was looking for a venue for my performance for the first Worldwide Escape Artist Relay in 2005, I was directed to a nice old schoolhouse being used as a community hall. It had a wonderful, spooky charm, and a group of volunteers was struggling to save it. That venue became the birthplace of Miller & Wilson's Theater of Marvels, which has gone on to touch many lives.

At the center of that group of volunteers was a remarkable woman named Lori. She has a very high-skilled job and two wonderful children. Somehow, she found time in her life to hold together a group of volunteers to save that venue. They incorporated as a nonprofit under her direction. They wrote, and received, grants to assist with preservation and improvements. Two days before I hosted a Mardi Gras Celebration there last month, Lori, who is in her early forties, awoke with stroke-like symptoms.

Lori had surgery on February 16, 2007, after a congenital abnormality called cerebral ateriovenous malformation (AVM) caused a buildup of blood in her brain. Surgeons at Mass General Hospital in Boston removed some of the blood clot that had collected in her brain and relieved the swelling. On February 22, she was moved to Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital in Boston. Her doctors have been very pleased with her progress.

She is remembering things, her speech is improving, and there is hope for a good recovery quite some time from now. She is scheduled for more surgery soon. We are holding a couple of fundraisers to assist her family. The first bit of web page is up right now, and will fill out more over the next two weeks:

http://www.memoryelixir.com/lori.html

You don't know Lori, but if you are lucky, there are people like her around you. Keep all of them in your prayers.

Yours,

Paul
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Here's an update. Lori is doing much better, she had the last of three surgeries and actually walked out of the Neuro ICU, which few patients do. She is at home with her family now, continuing her recovery. We ran a tally yesterday at the midpoint of the five-day fundraiser. We had raised over $3,200. We will easily hit $4,000 - $5,000.

Check the fundraiser pages, they are amusing:

http://www.memoryelixir.com/lori.html

Yours,

Paul
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Our fundraisers raised $5,380!

Yours,

Paul
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
The fundraisers brought in a few stragglers past the end date. Officially, we broke $6,000, it might be more like $6,200. I saw Lori a couple of days ago and it's still her. A little trouble with names and place names but laughing and glad to see everyone.

Yours,

Paul
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » A Friend of Magic With a Long Road Ahead (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL