The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » No cards with alcohol? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Lucas Walker
View Profile
Regular user
Missouri
125 Posts

Profile of Lucas Walker
I just got a job as a waiter at a restaurant that has a bar. The other day we were overstaffed waiting for a bus that never came and all of my tables (and everyone else's) were taken care of so I started working on my one-handed shuffle. I was told by the bartender that I couldn't have those out because the place could lose the liquor license for having playing cards out. Something about not mixing gambling and alcohol. I was just wondering if this is true, or what the exact stipulation is about this. I would imagine it would be fairly simple for me to prove to anyone that wanted to accuse me of gambling around alcohol that I'm just a magician. I was just curious about the details on this. Thanks.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Bar tender didn't want you taking his tips. Really I have no idea. I would imagine it would change from State to State. It could even change from County to County.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
You're in Missouri? There might be something to it then. A friend of mine was out in Wesport (KCMO), and had his cards with him. The police told him to put it away. I'
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
I've had the same story given to me here in Arkansas. On the other hand I've been informed that I'm not really living in part of the US. Anyway, after the waiter found out I wasn't playing an actual card game they backed off. I'm sure it has something to do with the gambling laws in your state. I'm guessing it is different from state to state.

Derrick
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
That might be part of it too. I have another friend that does magic in bars on the Missouri side, and his livelihood seems uninterrupted.
charliemagic
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of charliemagic
Well, I live in NY & was told the same thing "I couldn't have those out because the place could lose the liquor license for having playing cards out. Something about not mixing gambling and alcohol'
However..It seems that if you do not lay the cards on the table it is ok..
BrandonWilliams
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of BrandonWilliams
From what I understand, as long as you are not gambling then it is ok. I know that in NC the law would allow even card playing, so long as you were not playing for anything of value. I'd check into your local and state liquor laws before proceeding though.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The hassle created trying to prove you were not gambling is not something the restaurant mangement/owners have time to get tangled up in. They are simply playing it conservatively safe.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2007-03-09 20:58, Lucas Walker wrote:
I just got a job as a waiter at a restaurant that has a bar. The other day we were overstaffed waiting for a bus that never came and all of my tables (and everyone else's) were taken care of so I started working on my one-handed shuffle. I was told by the bartender that I couldn't have those out because the place could lose the liquor license for having playing cards out. Something about not mixing gambling and alcohol. I was just wondering if this is true, or what the exact stipulation is about this. I would imagine it would be fairly simple for me to prove to anyone that wanted to accuse me of gambling around alcohol that I'm just a magician. I was just curious about the details on this. Thanks.

I'm not sure about the laws in different states. But, you were hired as a waiter, not a magician, so I'd ditch the cards. I worked for an awesome restaurant manager when I started out. He had a saying "sweathearts, if you got time to lean, you got time to clean".

I'v been in situations where it was slow and over staffed. Stand out and start doing whatever it takes to show you're not a slacker and you'll make more money. Not that night, but in the long run.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea fooling arround does not look too professional.

Also the list of things that are completly idiotic that can lose a place its liquor license is impressive and quite long.

They all seem idiotic to us but probably have some basis in logic somewhere. You would just have to look really hard to find them!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
HeyLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
Arlington, VA (D.C. suburbs)
128 Posts

Profile of HeyLockwood
I tended bar in northern Virginia for 8 years (still do, on occasion), and I've worked with other bartenders who were worried about the legality of cards behind a bar. I also was also a customer in a bar once, and told I couldn't have cards out because they were illegal. Liquor laws vary, but I know VA's laws, and cards in a bar are not illegal - gambling is. However, a lot of places do err on the side of caution, as Michael Baker accurately mentioned a few posts ago. So, I guess you have to pick your battles. I didn't want to get kicked out of the bar I was hanging at, so I put the cards away.

You might be better off doing some stuff at your tables anyway. You have to have a decent read on when people don't want to be bothered, though. By the way, instead of working on your one handed shuffle while in front people, you should show them some stuff that is well practiced. I was at a bar once, and very eager to show my friend, who is a far more experienced magician than me, a new move I had learned. I said "look! I learned how to do it!" Then I tried my new move, and dropped the cards all over the place. He looked at me and said "really?" That was an embarrassing way to learn a lesson...

But, anyway, check with your state's alcohol control board. I imagine they have a website.

-Mike
Why doesn't it tickle when I tickle myself, but it still hurts when I stick a fork in my eye?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Breaking the law, not working while working, not a good start to life! Cards in a bar are often illegal. Oddest place I've been in a bar was Wilmington Mass, I made the error of 'walking with a drink' in a bar and almost got kicked out.
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
I have heard this before, but I honestly think it is BS!!!!!! I tend to ignore stupid people, but sometimes it gets me in trouble, lol!
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
JeffMac
View Profile
Veteran user
Sudbury, ont
350 Posts

Profile of JeffMac
I'd be careful most liqour laws are very old many haven't been updated much since prohabition. In a lot of cases these laws aren't strictly enforced but get the wrong inspector on the wrong day and your in for. Trust me I know.
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
I don't believe cards are outlawed in ANY bar. The laws are going to be for gambling. Be it cards dice or what not. If it was illegal for cards to be around liquor then 90% of wouldn't have a job as any restaurant I dohave performed in serves alcohol and most of the places even had sit down bars.

I'm not saying there's not something to it. But I'd be willing to bet you it is "gambling" not "playing cards". I'm sure the bartendermanager was just playing it safe.
.:Michael Kelley
On the Level, By the Square
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Believe what you like but belief does not effect fact. The simple fact is that some regions will not allow the use of cards in bars or restaurants that serve booze. It is easier to ban an item than list all the exceptions. The laws are not the same all over, of course, but if you are in a place where there is such a law I doubt the owner of the establishment is going to say "to heck with the law, we'll just fight 'em in court'.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-03-16 12:06, MAKMagic wrote:
I don't believe cards are outlawed in ANY bar. The laws are going to be for gambling. Be it cards dice or what not. If it was illegal for cards to be around liquor then 90% of wouldn't have a job as any restaurant I dohave performed in serves alcohol and most of the places even had sit down bars.

I'm not saying there's not something to it. But I'd be willing to bet you it is "gambling" not "playing cards". I'm sure the bartendermanager was just playing it safe.

You have never been to the "bible belt".

I have spent LOTS of time behind bars, and learned at Schuliens, BUT certain places in the country really have goofy laws. Your right in "general" the prohibition is on gambling, but some of the small towns arround my neck of the woods, can really have strange laws.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
648 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
Danny, you are correct. I, too, live in the "bible belt" where a magician is considered a devil worshipper and there are many "blue" laws on the books that are enforced only if the cop wants to enforce it. Lucas, do check your states alcohol license regulations to understand if having cards would jeopardize the license.

Glenn
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
I can see that floatin roun the Louisianna area.

When it comes to strange laws though every state has them. There are some places where you can only Jaywalk before dusk IF you have a chicken in tow.
.:Michael Kelley
On the Level, By the Square
JeffMac
View Profile
Veteran user
Sudbury, ont
350 Posts

Profile of JeffMac
And when it comes to liqour laws it seems they have left an inordinate amount of weird laws on the books. Makes it easy to shut down a shady bar.
here's a couple of examples of what I have to deal with
Technicly I can never run at full capacity, My bar as is the case with every bar in Ontario is divided in to sections and each section has a capacity. So if the bar is full and a person moves from one section to another without someone moving from the other section at the EXACT same time one of those sections is over capacity. Now by sections I'm not talking rooms I'm talking areas.
In Ontario it is considered an offence to be drunk in a public place including a bar, this I understand. However if someone APPEARS drunk in a licenced esstablishment the establisment can be charged but the individual has to be proven drunk to be charged. So if you missed some sleep and look a little out of it you could put a licence at risk.
Same goes for underagers. I can be charged with an APPARENT MINOR. Say I have a cousin that looks young but is old enough to drink. If she is not carrying ID I can get charged with an APPARENT MINOR, she how ever can show ID and have the charge dropped.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » No cards with alcohol? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL