The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Thumb Tip Smoothness for Bill Switch???? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1186 Posts

Profile of Salby
I have been using a hard plastic TT for years and had no problems with a bill switch. I believe it was a Vernet (I bought it almost 15 years ago) and has lasted all these years. It is starting to crack/split now.

I recently purchased another Vernet TT and the folded bill just does NOT flow smoothly out of the TT. The bill is STUCK in the TT. Is there any lubricant that anyone can suggest to perhaps coat thinly in the TT that will not stain the bill sitting in there for a long time (maybe days, if not weeks) and will give the bill a smoothness when coming out and putting in the TT??

How are people overcoming this obstacle??
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17276 Posts

Profile of joseph
I have to lick my thumb to get this to work well......
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
thoughtsexplorer
View Profile
Elite user
Elite... not D-Lite!
424 Posts

Profile of thoughtsexplorer
I have to lick the bill...
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2181 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I use a standard Vernet tip and have no problems whatsoever getting a bill in and out. Is there some kind of Teflon spray on the market that would work?
Kevin Reylek
adramindmagic
View Profile
Regular user
East St. Louis
106 Posts

Profile of adramindmagic
I HATE using a soft thumb tip for this. It just gets stuck. Humidity is a huge factor too.
I love magic!
close-up
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of close-up
I have been doing a bill switch for many years and have used both the hard and soft TTs. I perfer the soft tip over the hard. I find the soft more manageable and have not had any issues with the bill sticking.
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1186 Posts

Profile of Salby
Nah-- I'm not into the "Licking" thing... Just NOT my style when performing such an effect hundreds of times... Not only is it gross to be doing that in front of your spectators when touching THEIR bill, but also, people will think I am doing something "funny" when touching my finger to tongue each time when performing this effect.... I had to try out that "Licking" thing for FRAUD and too many people said I was putting something on my finger from my mouth-- Now I am just using less glue for the gimmick.

Maybe it would be better if someone can clarify how I can tell the difference between a "soft" and a "hard" TT. Both of the TT's I have explained (the 15 year old one and the fairly new one, which I don't remember what the package said) are made of plastic and "give" a little... No way like a rubber TT.

Can someone post a link to where it is advertised as a "hard" TT?? I checked out MJM Magic and Penguin Magic and I couldn't find the word "hard" TT anywhere. I see a "classic" Vernet TT, but it does not state whether it is "hard" or "soft".
magicstudent
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of magicstudent
Maybe you can put a small drops of baby powder on the side of the TT that touch the bill.
Dry thumb can also become a problem.

Jeff
I'll Be Back!
-Schwarzenegger-
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5845 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Use Corn Huskers Lotion on your hands. It'll give you a good grip on the bill.

I haven't use a TT in years for a bill switch. It works so much easier without one.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
The "hard" is the Regular(Standard) Vernet. The" soft" is the Soft Vernet (that is the name for each when you order online or purchase from your local shop). Both have some give if squeezed, the soft much more. The soft I have isn't slick enough for bill changes as the bill doesn't slide easily.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Jeff_Mash
View Profile
Veteran user
Bay Area, California
328 Posts

Profile of Jeff_Mash
Quote:
Can someone post a link to where it is advertised as a "hard" TT?? I checked out MJM Magic and Penguin Magic and I couldn't find the word "hard" TT anywhere. I see a "classic" Vernet TT, but it does not state whether it is "hard" or "soft".

Sal, these ones are pretty popular: Hard TT by Hottrix

As for your other question, the Vernet CLASSIC one is in fact a hard TT. Most of them will be unless they state otherwise, like the Soft Vernet's for example.
Your friend in magic,

Jeff Mash, CEO
MJM Magic - "Magic for Magicians, Jokesters, and Mentalists!"
http://www.MJMMagic.com
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1790 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Honestly, I am amazed that someone hasn't mentioned this yet. I had the same problem years ago with bills getting stuck in my thumb tip. The simple solution that I found most effective was to put a layer of good scotch tape on the bottom side (non nail side) of the tip to aid in sliding the bill out. It was a bit tough to get it inside and as far up as possible, but once you do that, it's all good.

Worked like a charm for me. Give it a shot.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1186 Posts

Profile of Salby
Kaliix-- You ARE the Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ordinary Scotch Tape does the trick (No pun intended)!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a bunch!!!!!!!!!!!
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
I never realised this until my plastic TT got lost and I was left with a "rubbery"-feel TT. Where can I get a plastic one? I don't even remember where I got mine previously
jimmyj
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of jimmyj
Hello,
I'm new to thumb tip magic. I just bought a hard Hottrix one. What's you general opinion on these. Mine seems to look and feel pretty good.

Thanks.
Jim
BWind
View Profile
Loyal user
Honolulu, Hawaii
259 Posts

Profile of BWind
Besides the Scotch tape, the Vernet tips can be a tad longer and could use a bit of a trim to help the "switch";
BWind
dicedealer007
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of dicedealer007
If you just keep using the TT it will were down the inside after a while. I had the same problem when I first got a new tip. It took it a while but eventually wore down and is working fine now.
Mark R. Williams
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Mark R. Williams
The scotch tape trick for the tt's is pure magic!

Thanks!!

M
"One more step on the pathway of Knowledge, that is if we don't break our leg crossing the street"
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17276 Posts

Profile of joseph
The good old scotch tape has really become a super magic accessory lately.. Smile ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Mark R. Williams
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Mark R. Williams
"The good old scotch tape has really become a super magic accessory lately"

Yes, it really has. It is a wonder we cannot, for all our modernization seem to live without!! Smile
"One more step on the pathway of Knowledge, that is if we don't break our leg crossing the street"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Thumb Tip Smoothness for Bill Switch???? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL