The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What cup is what and why? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
I've done cups n balls for years, but not as a street magician or busker, just close up for acquaintances and for friends but have not added it to a paying job.

So I've used plastic cups, paper cups and had a set of aluminum cups. I've had cloth "fuzzy" balls, sponge balls and paper balls with them.

I understand that a chop cup is a one cup routine with that special feature, but have never used one.

I am planning to add cups n balls combo with chop cup to my entertainment for pay.

Enough of my background set up.

In browsing the cups n balls posts, and following the links to online merchants I find all sorts of sizes, materials and names like squatty etc. All these versions leave me confused as to what would be best for me. Seeing the prices of some of the products I realize I need to be sure of what I am getting before I press "submit payment"...

Can someone point me in the right direction to get some information on how metals, weights, shapes, sizes, polish level etc affect performance value?

I would appreciate it very much.
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You won't find the weights, but you will find approximate sizes on the site I would recommend the most. Go to http://www.cupsandballsmuseum.com .

You will need a username and a password to get onto the web site. Email me at curator@cupsandballsmuseum.com . I'll send you a username and password.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
Thank you bill, I sent you an email.
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2676 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Be cautious, once you enter the museum, you might not come out....
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Bring a lunch. You will need it.

Also one of those Lisa Nowak astronaut diapers. Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
If Lisa were a man she would have only needed a rubber band instead of astro diapers, then she could have done rubber band manipulation to misdirect the police and would have gotten away!

I've made my first journey into the museum, it's amazing. I'll be spending more time there.

Thank you for the link and access.
www.magicbyhabu.com
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
It's a bummer it seems you are doing your shopping mostly online. If you went into a magic shop you'd be able to touch and hold the cups and discover the cups that were perfect for you. Good luck.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's really doubtful. If you go into most magic shops these days, about all you will see will be Phoenix cups (maybe), Johnson cups (possibly), Uday cups, Morrissey cups and Bazar di Magia cups.

Nobody stocks Gazzo cups. There are two shops that regularly stock RnT 2 cups. Riser does almost all of his business on line.

Finding a Bricks and Mortar shop that stocks the things that were even commonplace in the 1970's is a rarity.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Quote:
On 2007-03-10 20:50, Habu wrote:
Can someone point me in the right direction to get some information on how metals, weights, shapes, sizes, polish level etc affect performance value?

The museum is the place to go to get all sorts of info. The most dangerous thing is when you realise that the thigs you want the most are also the most expensive!

Bill's got loads of useful info. The best advice I was ever given about selecting a set of cups was first to decide on what load size to use and then get a set of cup that fits that load. The choice of cup is then largely based on aethetic preference.

If you want to do a combo routine (i.e a routine where one of the cups is secretly 'chopped') then you're a little bit more limited for choice. Having said that, there are some really nice combo sets around in both regular and mini sizes.

(Bill: are there any Jumbo combo sets apart from custom ones like van Dokkums?)
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
Quote:
On 2007-03-11 14:20, gaddy wrote:
It's a bummer it seems you are doing your shopping mostly online. If you went into a magic shop you'd be able to touch and hold the cups and discover the cups that were perfect for you. Good luck.

Gaddy, the nearest magic brick and mortar is about 2 1/2 hours from me and I'm told it is not much more than a novelty shop. So I am pretty much having to buy either online or second hand via café members...which is still technically online. With the exception of buying things from IBM members, who are also a 1 1/2 hour drive from me.
www.magicbyhabu.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Occasionally, some of the fellows who make limited runs of cups, such as James Riser and RnT II will make a set of jumbo combo cups.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Ahhh... that's a bummer. we gotta do what we gotta do, I guess. good luck, and happy hunting.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1300 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
If a combo set is something your after then e-mail the guys who make cups and ask ..the worst thing that could happen is that they say no.
Mobius
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
My eyes hurt from looking at so many cups n balls sets at the museum. I still do not know what I want in way of a set, so many to choose from, but at least now I understand the differences in the cups...or at least know where to go to look it up!
www.magicbyhabu.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Rick, we should work up a time when we can get together here in town. I'd like to coordinate it with another guy here. Both of us have several sets of cups between us, all different. You could handle them and see what you like.

His time is at a premium right now, though. He is a teacher, taking college courses himself, and a new dad on top of that, but maybe we can make it work somehow.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's an offer even I wouldn't refuse!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
You're welcome too, Bill!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
geemack
View Profile
Loyal user
Greg McNeil Peoria,Illinois
294 Posts

Profile of geemack
Look out, Michael. Bill would probably want your set of Gary Animal's old beat up flower pots! Smile

Greg
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
No, I already have a set of Gary Animal's old beat-up flowerpots!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
Quote:
On 2007-03-16 02:10, Michael Baker wrote:
Rick, we should work up a time when we can get together here in town. You could handle them and see what you like.

~michael

I would really like to do that, no hurry though. I have just purchased about $1000 of props, illusions and apparatus to kick off my magic in this area. I have a school assembly show and an after school fund raiser to routine and rehearse for the end of May, so I've got my hands really full for the next few months at least.

But if you bring some to one of the IBM meetings I can stay around afterward and have a look then too. But it really is no rush. As far as slight of hand work I am working mostly on sponge balls, (with my daughter) and rope work. So I've got a while to go before I invest in a set of cups.

Thanks Smile
www.magicbyhabu.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What cup is what and why? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL