We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » Quick change artists (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Sekhmet
View Profile
New user
Nacogdoches, TX
54 Posts

Profile of Sekhmet
http://youtube.com/watch?v=RB-wUgnyGv0

I saw a single episode of America's Got Talent, and I saw this couple.

I'm so intrigued. Does anyone know anything about this?

Posted: Mar 12, 2007 1:04pm
No answer. =/
The reason I ask is because I saw the thread about vanishing, and everyone saying it was all camera magic and editing and blah blah blah... But these people perform in Vegas, on a stage, live in front of however-many-hundred people. There's no fancy camera work in this and I'd like to learn a little more about it, I just have no idea where to look.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I think there were at least three of the acts in the stage competition at World Magic Seminar this year that were either completely or largely quick change types of acts. There are some videos out on it. I know Steven's Magic was selling one of them at WMS. It isn't all that new, in fact quite old, just being brought back in popularity.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Sekhmet
View Profile
New user
Nacogdoches, TX
54 Posts

Profile of Sekhmet
Well yeah, I remember seeing a couple shows when I was little, but I just oohd and ahhhd at those... I wasn't really wanting to DO it. Now I've seen that and my interest is renewed.
michaelrice
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
257 Posts

Profile of michaelrice
That is David and Dania, I saw them live at Blackpool last year! There very good.

Mike
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7448 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I have seen David and Dania at NBA games, circuses, public shows, and magic conventions. I have even worked with them on a few dates.

There is no camera trickery. Just talent pure and simple.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Sekhmet
View Profile
New user
Nacogdoches, TX
54 Posts

Profile of Sekhmet
I know that.
I just want INFORMATION about it.

All that's on the forum is http://www.quickchange.de , and that doesn't really cater to what I'm looking for. I want to find some sort of book, DVD, or even a teacher, but I'm finding NOTHING.

It's like there's some secret quick-change-cult. >.<
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
Hi Ariel!

I am not sure this is what you are looking for, but here are some links to websites who are devoted to quick change:

quick change.com
costume change shop
magic Café thread

Hope this helps a little!

Louis Jutras
Sekhmet
View Profile
New user
Nacogdoches, TX
54 Posts

Profile of Sekhmet
Thank you very much. I'd already seen the second link, and after looking through the other thread, I can't say that I agree with the methods being through velcro or a bunch of snaps.. It just seems so tedious, especially when you see people like David and Dania perform.

I've looked through several videos many times, and the most likely thing I can think of is a certain way of sewing it together. If watch the video in my original post, you see the part where he pulls the circle with all the long fringes over her. If you keep a close eye on it, you see David's hand go behind Dania's back, then you see the skirt fall on the bottom. There has to be a way that the top of the dress falls, the reverse side is the color of the new dress, and the top is that color under the original.

I don't know how much sense that made.. I'm not seamstress, so I don't know how it would work either.. I guess I'll have to see them live one day.

Thanks again, Lou.
WagsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach, SC
639 Posts

Profile of WagsterMagic
Everyone in my family was blown away.
It was cool, but even cooler cause I know how its done.

Best
Brandon
The Wagsters: World Class Magic & Illusion
www.wagstermagic.com
Sekhmet
View Profile
New user
Nacogdoches, TX
54 Posts

Profile of Sekhmet
Oh, Brandon. Thank you so much for all your help! I'm positively baffled.

/sarcasm

I'm thinking it will end up being something I pursue on my own. No easy answers here.
Not that it's such a bad thing.
WagsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach, SC
639 Posts

Profile of WagsterMagic
Its one of those common sense things.
Just think about how a color changing streamer works. I just don't feel the need to reveal everything.

Best
Brandon
The Wagsters: World Class Magic & Illusion
www.wagstermagic.com
John T. Sheets
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, USA
1132 Posts

Profile of John T. Sheets
Yes, Costume change acts can be VERY tedious. It may take an hour or more to set up & 5 minutes to run throught the act. Not to mention all the sewing, pinning, hemming, & rehursing! Take a look at Arturo Brachetti (Not sure if I spelled that right). He has some amazing costume changes! I think he's on Youtube too. I hope this helps!
www.johnTsheets.com

See the "Quantum Bender 3.0" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTVw9FjonE

See my Dove Act here... https://youtu.be/Ms7_u46Qpp0

See the "Energy Bender" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJOfL0k8xA

See the "Table of Death" in Las Vegas trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivizLAKD7I
Sekhmet
View Profile
New user
Nacogdoches, TX
54 Posts

Profile of Sekhmet
I'm not expecting you to reveal anything, Brandon, the point of this post was to find out where I can get more information on this.
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
There are videos, books and products available through various magic retailers out there to help you Sekhmet.

You can check out ours at http://www.chameleonfabrications.com to see a video demonstration of our Chameleon Change gimmicks.

All the best,

Rob
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17681 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I've purchased a cheap dress made in India that does this. It is usless except for looking at the method. A good seamstress can do something similar, although David and Dania are TOPS.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
enginemagic
View Profile
Special user
Bluffton Indiana
603 Posts

Profile of enginemagic
I Have a video named Pen & Tellers "Magic and mistery tour".It has a presintation of a man in china that hand made a head dress with 10 masks that he changed while dancing ,he would turn around & you`d see a different mask on his face when he faced the audence again. A really good routine
theres a lot to learn out there,many interesting subjects,and hobbies to enjoy
MrBob102
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Virginia
125 Posts

Profile of MrBob102
David & Dania will have a 3 hour work shop at the 2009 I.B.M. Convention in Nashville, June 30 - July 4, 2009. Go to http://www.Magician.Org for information about the convention.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2544 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
There are two main styles in Quick Change today. They come from Russia and China. Dania brought over the act and knowledge from Russia and David added some magic into it. It's a LONG and tedious process of creating the costumes and maintaining them. The Chinese tend to baste themselves into the costumes which is smoother but more time consuming to preset. The ones I knew took over 3 hours to set the act. The Russians usually use more snaps but everything is usually hand sewn so it's still painfully long process.

The old style American technique used more curtain weights and draping to hold the costumes pieces in place. There is a small video that goes over a few things from Joe Stevens but there's not much out there on it. It's mainly handed down from one generation to the next.
Ray Pierce
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
Quote:
The ones I knew took over 3 hours to set the act

Then they are not using the gimmick that I use ;-)
I have a quick change in the middle of my show where I can underdress and dress the quick change costume in less than 90 seconds - no snaps, no pulls, no Velcro!
I will have a video up on it soon. The gimmicks are available from your favourite dealer (if not then Murphy's Magic can supply them :,) )

If you want to make your own (not easy, but not impossible!)the gimmick is described in the book/lecture notes which accompanies my lecture "Time for a Change?".
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

http://www.magic2wear.com
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2544 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2009-04-12 18:06, LeeAlex2002 wrote:
Then they are not using the gimmick that I use ;-)

I'm not talking about a single quck change costume, but rather an entire act of 10 or more costume changes that begin all loaded on the performer. Many magicians have opened with a single spectacular quick change costume including Nick Night, Danny Cole and others. I would hope that they don't need 3 hours to set up their changes either!

Your change sounds very interesting though, good luck with it.

Ray
Ray Pierce
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » Quick change artists (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL