The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Underground Jam (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Spinnato
View Profile
Elite user
416 Posts

Profile of Spinnato
Quote:

I find that Jeff Stone is my favorite contributor. He has great ideas, including a novel key routine with a killer vanish. His use of the film cannister really got me thinking, and it's the thought-provoking ideas that make DVD's worthwhile to me, the sort of thinking that has you digging up props because an idea (or several) just occurred to you.

I agree. And, lucky for us Jeff Stone fans, he has released his very own DVD entitled "The Close Up Magic of Jeff Stone and Friends". Check it out at http://www.stonecoldmagic.com
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2007-05-13 11:48, Louis.P.M wrote:
Just to add a bit to the discussion, here are my top-picks for the performer:

Jay Sankey: Uniquely - A signed coin and torn corner transposition. Super easy, super unexplicable. I actually liked this one more than T-Bone.

Eric Leclerc: Razor Burn - A bic razor turns into a matchbook. Ok, sorry, but even if I have absolutely no idea how to get this into my routine, this one is so over the top that I'll use it anyway. No sleeves, no manipulation..too good to be true Smile

Jeff Stone: Dream Vacation - A coin in the hand audibly appear in a film case. This one I don't really like it for the actual routine. It's nice but not something that fits me. On the other hand, the sleigths he presents can EASILY be used in other routines. His take on the "grab my wrist" steal is brillant and I may use this way more and more now.

Joe Diamond: Card under watch - A signed card appear under the watch. So, a card appear under the magician's watch....nothing amazing right? Not in my opinion. This routine is so well lined up that the spectators will swear the magician haven't touched the cards until they are in the box. It's also true that every movement is justified and implicitly add to the subtleties.

My magic teacher said to me that if I buy a DVD/Book and only one effect gets into my repertoire, it is worth it. For 25$, if 8 effects are going into my "to-do" list, it's a goldmine.

Louis,

Thanks for the feedback. You're right about Joe's effect. One thing that I really like about his stuff is that he really puts a lot of time and thought into the routine. Most kids his age don't care about that part of magic, so it's a refreshing change to see such a young magician care so much about it.

Eric's a stud too. He's a very creative performer, and you're right about Razor Burn. What a rockin' idea.

Of course what can I say about Jay. Just meeting him was awesome. The cab dropped me off at his house, and out comes jay in his socks and no shoes to help me carry in my luggage. Obviously he's a very creative magician, but what a lot of people don't know is that he is absolutely the nicest guy I've ever met.

Thanks again for the review and feedback on UJ.
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2007-05-13 20:26, Spinnato wrote:

I agree. And, lucky for us Jeff Stone fans, he has released his very own DVD entitled "The Close Up Magic of Jeff Stone and Friends". Check it out at http://www.stonecoldmagic.com

Spinnato,

Thanks for the plug man. I appreciate the love and support! Smile
MagicAndBlackjack
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of MagicAndBlackjack
Quote:
On 2007-03-12 17:30, juan king wrote:
I was meant to be being one of the three people appearing with Jay Sankey on this DVD but I did not be able to go to Canada for a filming because I was doing some close-up magic for my friend Fernadez at his wedding to Hortenzia.

I am glad now that I wasn't being on it.

I have seen that DVD now and it is three people pretending to be friends with Jay Sankey and having a laughs together like they are being best friends with some magic tricks that are good tricks.

I am not thinking it is a good idea to take three magicians who hasn't been heard of and ask money to be paid to look at them. I can be at my magic club meeting for it. I would pay 25% of the cost to be watching Jay Sankey but not the other three people. One is having a squeaky voice that is higher than Jay Sankeys. One is a big man who isn't saying very much. And the other one I have forgotton which isn't very good I know but he was looking cool with hairwax.

My top two tricks from the DVDs is being.

1. T-bone - teared and restored card
2. Uniquely - Corner of a playing card and coin are swapping

They are both being Jay Sankeys tricks. Not from the other three men.

I would buy the DVD for Jay Sankey but not for the other three men who I have never even heard of.

I'm not so sure I believe your story about having to do magic for a friend and that's why you couldn't get on the taping. However, if that is true, you need to control your animosity toward the other three men who were on the DVD and did a great job. Furthermore, the fact that you haven't heard of them before means nothing. Plenty of other people have. Everyone has to start somewhere before they become well known anyway. Why even buy the DVD if you are just going to flame the people that were on it "instead of you"?
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6968 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
MagicAndBlackjack, don't sweat it. Mr. King isn't a real person. Just someone having a laugh... at least, that's what all the evidence points to.

I still think there's some great stuff on this dvd. Jeff Stone's coin vanish rocks.
MagicAndBlackjack
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Hey Cameron,

I think you're right about it being someone trying to get a quick laugh.

Anyway, I agree that there is some great material on this DVD and Jeff's vanish is so clean and looks as though the hand doesn't even get near the other. I am impressed. I've only had it for a couple days, but so far I have only really worked on VISA since it's so easy. Uniquely has a ton of potential and I really think I'm going to spend a lot of time getting this one down. Everything on the DVD is solid.
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2007-05-29 19:28, MagicAndBlackjack wrote:
Hey Cameron,

I think you're right about it being someone trying to get a quick laugh.

Anyway, I agree that there is some great material on this DVD and Jeff's vanish is so clean and looks as though the hand doesn't even get near the other. I am impressed. I've only had it for a couple days, but so far I have only really worked on VISA since it's so easy. Uniquely has a ton of potential and I really think I'm going to spend a lot of time getting this one down. Everything on the DVD is solid.

Hey guys... thanks again for the support! I've been playing around with Visa Card as well. One thing I've added to it is rather than have someone name a number, I had them roll a die. I know it's an extra prop, but I think better justifies a using a number, and then the number is truly random.

I haven't been able to get a hold of Joe to let him know about the idea... Anyway, I hope you like it.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1614 Posts

Profile of bugjack
As someone who is not often a Sankey fan, I thought I'd throw in that I thought this is a good DVD as well. There are a number of good routines and a fun, casual atmosphere.
MagicAndBlackjack
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Jeff,

No prob. I really love the vanish and thanks for adding it to the DVD.

Regarding Visa Card...That's a good idea that I'm definitely going to have to try out. However, for some reason I think spectators would assume that "you had a die that always lands on the same number" or some other type of idea that spectators come up with to justify how something was done. By allowing them to name any number they think of, I think it makes the effect more personal and stronger because even though a die is random, it is ultimately not literally their choice of what it will land on. I think it's just the nature of laymen to come up with outlandish explantions for how something was done if they cannot figure it out. By adding the die to the equation it just gives them another variable to justify how the number was "forced" upon them.

I'm going to mess around with using the die to see how the reactions differ, but let me know how it goes/has been working for you.

thanks,

T.J.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Jeff Stone is an excellent performer and thinker and it shows on this DVD.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
What I like to do is write a Visa number on the card that only consists of numbers one through 6 repeated throughout, then just have them name one of the numbers they see.

XX
do magic

www.8bom.net
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2007-06-01 12:14, Xander DraX wrote:
What I like to do is write a Visa number on the card that only consists of numbers one through 6 repeated throughout, then just have them name one of the numbers they see.

XX

XX,

That seriously rocks! That's an excellent addition. I'm adding that to my VISA card tonight! Thanks for the suggestion. I'll email Joe Diamond and let him know. I think he'll love it!
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
Glad you dig it man.

XX
do magic

www.8bom.net
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5865 Posts

Profile of motown
If you like Eric LeClerc's "Straight From the Heart", you should check out Dieter Ebel's
"Triple Somersault" inConcertos for Pasteboard (2000) by Oliver Erens. Dieter's is a
more complete routine and a better application of this idea.

CJ
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
I loved everything on this DVD. My only problem with it is from Eric's "Shy Guys" effect. Great effect, one of the better ones on the dvd. The only thing is his explanation is confusing as hell. As for Razor Burn, I hate you... lol. Worth every penny, probably more.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2906 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Here's a quick little review:

I know this has been reviewed here before, but I feel the need to post one as well.

Jay Sankey has a jam session for a weekend of magic with three unknown magicians named Eric Leclerc (who I was in a magic competition against last week ), Jeff Stone, and Joe Diamond, all whom have created some great magic! There are a few flop effects in here, but my review of each follows:

Uniquely (Sankey): The Torn corner of a selected card and a signed coin transpose impossibly. This is quite possibly one of the best effects on the DVD. ****

Razor Burn (Leclerc): A Shaving razor instantly changes into a real matchbook! Hands empty and all. Fabulous! ****

Jacked Up (Stone): A cool Colour Changing Deck routine. Really great! ****

Super Sharped (Diamond): A cute impromptu effect where a signed coin ends up in the cap of a Sharpie marker, and it is then revealed that the coin is too big to fit in the cap! ***

Shy Guys (Leclerc): An extremely visual Twisting The Aces effect based on that of Guy Hollingworth. *****

King-Side Castling (Stone): After the magician mysteriously and magically removes a signed King from a packet of four kings, all other cards in use are revealed to have been changed to blank cards! Uses a few gaffs, but very simple and very effective. ***

Magi (Sankey): A great Sandwich effect with a twist! ***

Visa Card (Diamond): A great mentalism/comedy effect! ****

This N' That (Leclerc): Eric's version of the 8 Card Brainwave. ****

Dream Vacation (Stone): A signed coin magically appears in a just examined film canister. Really effective and very simple. *****

Solo (Sankey): Strong card effect that is as simple as card magic gets. *****

Great Scott (Diamond): A signed card appears folded up behind the magician's watch! A great little effect. ***

Straight From The Heart (Leclerc): A cool utility item to have on you. Make a business card or virtually anything rise out of your breat pokcet on your jacket. Fantastic! *****

Coolest Ace Trick In The World (Stone): After all of the aces in a packet change to the chosen ace, they take on another stunning transformation. It is a bit flawed, but a very good effect. ****

50:50 (Sankey): Two quarters and a Half Dollar change places in this multi-phased routine. Really good! ****

Loose Ink (Diamond): The ink on a signed card melts onto the face of a black card. Ntohing new here, but Joe's presentation makes it suitable. ***

Key-O-Nee Bul-O-Nee (Stone): A key on a ring of three keys is pulled off, vanished, and shown to have reappeared back onto the keyring among the other two keys. All in the spectators hands! A great impromptu effect! ***

ILUS System (Leclerc): A brilliant comeback for all of those stupid questions and remarks that are made to magicians. Fabulous! *****

T-Bone (Sankey): In a fashion similar to the card set of Card Warp, a card is torwn and restored almost intantly. Fabulous and so easy! ****

Final Cap In Bottle (Leclerc): An almost completely impromptu version of the Cap In Bottle. I indepenently created this EXACT effect, but Leclerc beat me to it. It's a shame too, because it is so darn good! *****

Overall, I give this DVD a 7/10. Some effects are lacking of some key elements of good magic, while most are great. I recommend you focus on the magic of Stone and Leclerc, because it is the strongest, most original, and best of the bunch. Diamond has a few good ideas here, but are nothing really too new. However, I did quite like Visa Card and his handling of The Coin In Pen Cap was quite nice. Eric Leclerc's material is nothing less than brilliant. He fooled me badly with Razor Burn when I first bought the DVD, and I have laughing long and hard when I went to the Teaching Section moments later. So simple, but genius!. I was watching it at a great magic convention, one that, ironically, I found out he was attending as well. In fact, Leclerc competed against me in Close Up! Anyways, back to the material: Leclerc's ILUS System is very creative and original, something every walkaround magician should have on them. And his Cap In Bottle is great too. I actually indepentently re-created his effect, only later did I find out he had beat me too it. Wish I had thought of it first, it is that good! Jeff Stone's material has a very distinctive feel about it... Very raw magic that hits and hits hard. His Coolest Ace Trick is pretty darn cool, and Dream Vacation is a fantastic, interactive routine that can play for as long as you can make it play for. Jacked up is also genius! Very creative magic by a bunch of VERY creative guys! I wish Jay would do UNDERGROUND JAM JR. so some of us young creators could get in on the action! Recommended!

By the way, in the competition I was in... there were 8 of us...Eric Leclerc won . Congratulations to him!

Michael Kras
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6968 Posts

So in your opinion, which ones were flops? The lowest score you gave was three ***. Three stars does not indicate a flop.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6968 Posts

So in your opinion, which ones were flops? The lowest score you gave was three ***. Three stars does not indicate a flop.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2906 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Well... some (not ag all many though)of the routines, as good as they were, were unworkable in regular performance situations.
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1025 Posts

Profile of kannon
Its been said throughout this post and I'll say it again, yes maybe because I'm bored, but hell ... Jacked Up and Razor Burn. Two Thumbs UP!
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Underground Jam (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL