The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Ummmmm.......... EGG!? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
WOW!!!

My dove, Jack, is about a year and 3 months or so, and after ALL THIS TIME, I thought he was a boy...

I looked in the cage 5 minutes ago, and saw an EGG!

Jack is a big dove (one reason I though he was a male) and coo's ALOT (another reason I thought he was a male)!

The egg is white and is about 1 1/4" x 3/4" (at the biggest part)...

How strange is that?

Being that I only have him, excuse me, *her* (haha), and I don't have a male to furtilize the egg, what should I do with it?
Should I be expecting another one soon?
Should I expect anything long-term in the future?

Thanks guys,
-Vinnie
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4981 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Vinnie, remember way back when you first started talking about getting Jack, I told you there was no guarantee on the sex of a dove. I also told you the best way is to name the dove. If you name it Jack, it most likely will be a Jackie and if you name it Samantha, it will be a Sam Smile

Anyway, just throw the egg away. There may or may not be another egg. In fact, it may never lay another egg in it's lifetime. You just never know. One of my birds is 6 years old and she just layed her first egg a few weeks ago. Aren't doves fun?????
Where the magic begins
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Haha!! Thanks for the info Dave!

Haha, I don't care - I'm still calling her a 'him', and still calling Jack, "Jack"! I'm too used to it! =]

If anyone asks, my dove is a male! *Looks both ways, puts on shades, walks away slowly* =]

-Vinnie
Shaner316
View Profile
Loyal user
St. Catharines, ON. Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Shaner316
You could always call her "JACKIE!!"
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4981 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Think of the comedy. You produce your dove and say this is Jack and that's the time it decides to lay the egg. Always be prepared Smile
Where the magic begins
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Haha, yeah, that'd be funny, but I wouldn't want that to happen mostly because the egg could crack inside the dove durring performance, and that could harm him..

Just curious, how long can you leave an egg unexposed to fertilization before it 'goes bad'? I'm trying to get my hands on a male dove to fertilize it, but that's a whole nother story with trying to convince my mom that I'll be responsible to have another one...

Is it even possible, or does it need to be fertilized in the same time period of the laying?

Thanks
-Vinnie
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4981 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Vinnie, once it's layed, the game is over. The egg is fertilized at the time of conception. If you had a male and a female, you would see the male on top of the female, flapping it's wings vigorously. That's the process.
Where the magic begins
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Oh, ok. I understand now. Thanks!

Would it be bad to keep it as like a 'souvineer' or something? (LOL) Will it eventually start to smell, or what? I'd like to keep it.

-Vinnie
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Naw Vinnie, ya can't keep the egg! * I am laughing* Take a photo, it will last longer. If you have ever smelled a rotten egg, then you will understand. When that egg goes bad, it will turn a blackish color on the inside, and if its crack open....OH MY GOSH!! Especially if you keep Jack-ey indoors...You definetly won't be getting another dove, and oyu may for sure be getting rid of the one you have *smile* In other words...eggs are not pleasant when they spoil.......trust me from experience! *haha*

Oh, and to be fertilized, it has to happen "inside" before the egg is made and laid (good rap song huh?)...as Dave stated....
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
If you take the egg shortly after it is laid and before it begins to go bad, you can blow the yolk out just as you can with any chicken egg... it's just a tad more delicate. Then wash out the inside of the egg and let it dry. If you want it more permanent, pour a solution of white glue and water into the egg and swirl it around, then let it dry.

After drying, you can also use white glue to seal up the hole from blowing out the egg, and either coat the outside of the egg with the same mixture of white glue and water, or spray paint the outside of the egg with clear plastic spray paint.

Now you can do all the egg-laying tricks you like with your tough little dove egg.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Thanks for the help guys! I learned a lot through the experience! =]

I think I will do what Spell suggested! If I do, I guess I can keep it then as a momento, eh? :-D

Thanks guys
-Vinnie
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1379 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
I have had doves lay eggs onstage! Usually, I will produce a dove and the egg is left behind in the harness or in the dove pan. A real surprise everytime!

Dove eggs are really cool and you can eat them. They are healthier eggs than most chicken eggs because they are organic. But everytime I suggest it, y'all are just too chicken! (Pardon the pun.)

Vinnie, I bet Jack lays one more egg in another day. What a guy, that Jack!
PS: I didn't forget about you...your pattern is coming, but I have to find the original in Memphis this week.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4981 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Autumn, we'll try dove eggs as so as you start handling meal worms Smile
Where the magic begins
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Haha, nice, Autumn! But I don't think I'm up for eating it.. LOL.. I'll pass. ;-)

I'll keep an eye out for the second egg.

And I'm excited about the pattern! Thanks in advance! =]
-Vinnie
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1379 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Keep watching for that second egg. (But don't worry if it does not come.)

Dave, Ok, I can't get any mealworms now because I am going out of town. I promise (I think) I will buy some...But I only handle them with tweezers.

At The Magic Café Convention: You eat a boiled dove egg. I pick up a mealworm with tweezers. Deal?

I'm heading to Memphis in a few hours. Sixteen hours of flying later it will be good to breathe that American air again! I will see you guys later!
Autumn
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4981 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
You've got a deal, Autumn. Just when is that Café convention???????
Where the magic begins
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-03-14 17:04, Dave Scribner wrote:
You've got a deal, Autumn. Just when is that Café convention???????

I'd like to know the same thing! I didn't even know there was a Café Convention! =O

You know the date and place, and any other info?? Thanks

-Vinnie
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4981 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Vinnie, upper right corner of the page, click on convention info. That's what we had set up about 3 years ago. It's still in the planning stage.
Where the magic begins
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24022 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Similiar thing happened here. Last October I was in a pet shop to purchase a dove. They were out. The same time someone was bringing in a dove. They purchased the dove from the shop the day before, but were returning it because it made a lot of noise. They gave it to me.

I have used several doves in the past, but this one constantly made noise all day. It is a good thing I was already used to it. Two weeks ago it laid an egg. The dove started being quiet. I can tell it won't hatch because it is not solid. A week later it laid a second egg. I let the eggs stay in the cage. The dove continues to sit on the second egg. I have not checked it yet.
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Thanks Dave... WOW, 3 years ago and its still not ready? Haha... Jeesh, well, I hope it gets done; I'd love to attend! - Being that its in my area. *Crosses fingers* =D

And Mike, thanks for chiming in.. Best of luck with your egg! I hope it hatches!

-Vinnie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Ummmmm.......... EGG!? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL