The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » MYLAR STRIPS (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

James Warren
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of James Warren
Does it make any difference what color the mylar strips are if I am intending on using them as a backdrop to the Ultimate Dancing Hank? My backdrop is royal blue, and, similar to the spider system, I'm planning on having maybe 4 feet of mylar hanging in the middle of the backdrop to make my entrance through, and I will do the dancing hand bottle routine in front of that mylar portion. I've read a lot of comments on the Café about the use of mylar to hide t....., but no one has mentioned any color preference. I'm thinking of silver or gold: does it really matter, or is mylar so effective that will any color do the job? Thanks.
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
James,
I've never performed it myself, but I've seen several perform it in front of silver, that seems to be popular. Steve Wyrick does it in front of blue and sometimes silver, I believe. Hope this helps, good luck!
James Warren
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of James Warren
Thanks dearwiseone. I'll probably try silver. While I asked this question with respect to the Ultimate Dancing Hank, the question applies to any routine using rather heavy t..... of course. But the fact that you've actually seen the UDH performed using silver is very helpful. Thanks.
knmagic
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of knmagic
I saw one of the magicians performed the UDH at my local restaurant which already has mylar backdrop in place. The backdrop was a combination of 4 mylar, 2 gold, 2 blue alternate each other and I could not see the t***** even I sat about 3 feet away from him.
James Warren
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of James Warren
Wow! Obviously, color does not matter. Did he do the bottle portion of the routine? That's where the t.... is most vulnerable.
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
James,
Now that I think about it, I think I've seen it performed in front of blue most often. If you're using silver mylar, I'd consider using a colored silk. Steve Wyrick did it with a white silk on his blue background.
Good luck, let us know how it turns out! It seems like a great effect, some day I'd like to have it in my act!
knmagic
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of knmagic
Yes, he did the full routine, including the bottle act in front of those mylars.
James Warren
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of James Warren
I just ordered what I think are high quality mylar curtains, custom made, from a place in New York. They have many varieties of mylar, beyond just the typical solid color. They have a holographic pattern, flourescent, irridescent, a pattern with large stars, and more. I ordered what they call "cracked ice" mylar. It's not smooth, but has a crinkled look -- which I think might help to hide what I want to hide. I just bought a large royal blue backdrop curtain, and I'm going to use this in the middle as an entrance-way -- it's a kind of pink/magenta color they call "Cerise." It should look gorgeous against the royal blue curtains. The link for the company's mylar page is http://www.iweiss.com/search.src?Key=rain+curtains/ if anyone is interested.
James Warren
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of James Warren
I just tested the above mylar link myself and found that it doesn't work as a direct link for some reason (probably connected with their search engine function). But once you're on the http://www.iweiss.com website, just do a search for mylar, and you'll find the page easily enough.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » MYLAR STRIPS (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL