The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Selling T-Shirts (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Why bother?
Dean, I hope you don't feel the post was directed at YOU. The Café has a lot of arm chair QBs; most of them talk a good talk, but they have never done it. All I was saying is to be careful who you listen to and take guidance from those who have experience with what he is asking. My intent was NOT to blast anyone, but to make sure the person whom asked the question is not mislead.
Anyway, hope you have luck in whatever you decide, Brock.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Wasn't worried, brother Bill... We are on the same page, as I see it.

Didn’t take anything personally...just sharing, as always, just helpin’ out. No worries, mate!

I am, as always at your service and In HIS Service,
Deano
<><
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-03-17 01:19, flourish dude wrote:
Why bother?
Dean, I hope you don't feel the post was directed at YOU. The Café has a lot of arm chair QBs; most of them talk a good talk, but they have never done it. All I was saying is to be careful who you listen to and take guidance from those who have experience with what he is asking. My intent was NOT to blast anyone, but to make sure the person whom asked the question is not mislead.
Anyway, hope you have luck in whatever you decide, Brock.

UMMMM...have done it, and am still doing it.

Trying to avoid the thinkers and find the doers here is a tough thing. Let me know how that goes. LOL
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
I knew others have had some real-world experience, too...whoo hoo!
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Bill:

What "style" of t-shirt is yours? Is it simply a "logo" style shirt with your name and graphics, or does it have a theme as they suggest? What is the best retail price point for you?

Thanks,
Chris
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
It has the logo on the front, left pocket and a saying on the back.

I use white because that is the most neutral color for both boys and girls. I buy them for 1.35 each, takes about 1 minutes to print and dry each one. I sell them for 10.00 each. On average, I sell around 10 a night. I have a heavier cotton; it is a 50/50 Cotton/Polyester blend. The brand is Gildan.

I find that if my 8 year old daughter models them during the show, the sales go up. I also try and give one to the sponsor to wear during the show and while announcing me. This also helps sell them.

I have not given them away to my helpers yet, but I think that would help sell more. A few weeks ago I performed for the Colorado Crush, our indoor football team. Every time they scored, the sponsoring bank threw out T-shirts. As the game when on, I heard people around me say "T-Shirt time" right after the score. It grew as the game went on. By the end of the game, everyone wanted one. I bet you could build this into your show as well. I just don't want to give away too much, but if you gave away a few, then you might create the "I have to have one, too!"

If I sell 10 a night for 10.00 each, that is 100.00. They cost 1.35 each, so 10.35 plus shipping. That would take me @15 minutes to print, dry, and clean up. If I pay myself 60.00 per hour, that is 15.00 for 15 minutes. That 10.35 + 15.00 = 25.35. Let's round it up to 30.00 to cover shipping, ink, and 1 give away. 30-100 is 70.00. I made an extra 70.00 that night on T's.
Throw back the 15.00 I paid myself to print them, that turns to 85.00.

Click here to view attached image.
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Thanks, Bill! Who does your printing?
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
If you can HAVE them printed for 3.00 or so, then you still will make 7.00 and not have to do any work. Most retail is times 2. Most magic shops buy for .50 and sell at a 1.00. You're doing better if you can buy for 3.00 and sell for 10.00. There are all kinds of things you can sell. I also sell a DVD. I like the T's because it is not junk magic that gets thrown in a drawer and people have buyer's remorse. It is a shirt that they can and will wear around. The kids all go to school the next day with it on as a statement, "I was there!" I also sign these, so they show that too. I once went to a birthday party, and some of the kids had my shirt on. Call it ego if you want, I call it marketing and helping my name become a brand.

Chris, I print these myself. Like I said, it takes me about 1 minute per shirt. I bought a silk screen set up that has already paid for itself. I love to make my own stuff, but you can have these printed for about 3-4 dollars each. It depends on the grade of T and if you want more than one color. Check with a local screen printer.

This is the one I bought off eBay last year:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Silk-Screen-Printing-Kit-w-Screen-Printing-
Steel-Press_W0QQitemZ120098231609QQcategoryZ26252QQss
PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item120098231609

Then, I bought this flash dryer to set and dry the ink on 35 seconds:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Screen-Printing-Flas......quipment
_W0QQitemZ260095987973QQcategoryZ26252QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZ
ViewItem?hash=item260095987973

Now I can make whatever I want, including screen-printed magic props. My church asked me to make shirts for up coming events, too. Because I have this and learned, I can help out my church.
www.magicalmemories.us
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Here is the ultimate question...

You sell 10 a night, but how many nights do you work? See, the reason I ask is that if you're doing 5 nights a week, the time becomes more and more valuable.

To spend the time printing that many shirts a week, it may very well be worth having it done.

If you only work a night or 2 a week, maybe it is worth it. I say this not as a bashing of how much you work, but looking for a gauge as to how much you have to do.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Not all of my shows I sell at. Only the larger ones. The shows I sell T-shirts at would be around 2 a week. I can print up a 100, and they lasts about 2 months. It might be worth it to have it done, you're right. I like making my own. The same reason I like making my own props. These are my larger shows. If I were to sell this summer at the libraries, that would be more like 5-6 a week. I would have to prepare for that, but I am not sure how they would sell at a library.
www.magicalmemories.us
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Thank you for taking my question as it was intended.

When it becomes more than that, it really is tough to want to do it yourself, or even to find the time to do it. Thank you for clarifying.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
How do you figure out which designs sell best? Some sort of limited run test marketing? Or just a best-guess?

CW
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Selling T-Shirts (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL