The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » How Sensitive Is a Credit Card to a PK Ring? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
I just watched mythbusters and they actually had a segment on wiping a credit card clean by using a electric magnet. It took a huge about of magnatism for it to render the card unreadable if that helps.
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Quote:
On 2007-03-13 23:38, Randwill wrote:
I don't know what effect it would have on a credit card but I wouldn't wear the ring except when I'm performing or anticipate a possible performance opportunity. The rings are fragile and wearing it 24/7 increases the chances of breaking it. I certainly wouldn't wear it while handling anything sensitive to magnetism, like a credit card or an expensive watch.

For the few rings that break, it usually happens when dropped on a hard surface from some distance. I wear mine 24/7 and have for a long time with no problem.

Note: I would (and am) hardly surprised when steel based "silverwear" sticks to my hand. I would however be very surprised if Silverware did.

Bob
Allan
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Allan
I have heard about this problem for many years and yet, I have have had four rare earth magnets in my wallet for the last 10 years. Each magnet is almost an inch long so they cover a wide area of the wallet. It is the wallet I carry every day. I have many charge cards in this wallet and have never had any problems with any of the credit cards.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I just watched Myth Busters and they used magnets on crecit cards and nothing happened.

They used magnetic money clips for 24 hrs. and nothing happened.

They stored magnets in a wallet with credit cards and nothing harmed the cards read out.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Quote:
On 2007-03-23 17:38, Allan wrote:
I have heard about this problem for many years and yet, I have have had four rare earth magnets in my wallet for the last 10 years. Each magnet is almost an inch long so they cover a wide area of the wallet. It is the wallet I carry every day. I have many charge cards in this wallet and have never had any problems with any of the credit cards.

Sounds like a pretty good test to me.

Bob
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
How about PK rings and cell phones? I've always been afraid that the magnetism will ruin the LCD screen.

Is this the beginning of a new thread?
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
Liquid Crystal Diode .. LCD...
Nothing magnetic about it.

Don't worry, it won't hurt it.

But, some cell phones have a reed switch in them.
So when you shut it, or put it in the holster, it turns off.
A reed switch uses a magnet.

So you can make your phone turn off with your ring.

Randi
hiwese1
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of hiwese1
Thanks Randi for the info.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Thank you Randi! I have no idea what you're talking about...but I trust you! I was concerned about the LCD screen because I know that putting a magnet up to a computer screen will mess it up (thanks to the malevolence of a junior high school kid!)

I've been really careful about taking my cell phone out of my pocket before gigs (yes, yes...which should be done anyway!) and then putting my ring on; and then reversing the order afterwards. But I guess this needn't be worried about?!?!?!
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
Yes... LCD screens work totally different from TV's and computer monitors.

Randi
Trestkon
View Profile
New user
Canada
94 Posts

Profile of Trestkon
The first thing I did when I got my ring today as pull out my RAZR and rub it all over the phone, seems to have absolutely no effect Smile

Then my girlfriend asked to see my new ring, I gave it to her and WHAM! her Snapple lid flew from the table to her hand :-p
-Larry
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
My nieces have a PSP, I think it is.
I'm not a gamer, so I don't really know.
It's a miniture playstation.

Any way...
It has reed switch on it and you can turn it off while it's in its startup stage.
Freaks them out that I can turn off there game in my hands.

Randi
carl
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of carl
Well.. All I can say is that my prop (the one you can get from ellusionist.. won't say more since I don't want to expose anything) which I was wearing my coat's left front pocket erased my Credit Card, my Maestro Card plus my bank customer card (I carry them all in my wallet, right backpocket)! I think it may have happened when I took the wallet out of my back pocket and held it near the front pocket of my coat.. but anyways, I think there's an explanation why some people's card becomes unreadable, while other people have absolutely no problem... My Gilfriend put the prop on my access card (the ones you need to get into the building you work in). right, she put it RIGHT ON TOP OF IT and.. nothing happened! Still working fine. I've spoken to the Credit Card guys, they say that it depends how sensitive the credit cards are.. So maybe an America Express is less sensitive to magneic fields then Visa.. or so..

Cheeers
Carl
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Or, it may not have happened in your pocket at all. Could you have put cour cards down for a moment at a check out counter with a pan they use to "clear" security devices on merchandise on products so you can leave the store without making lots of noise.

Bob
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2007-03-27 21:07, Trestkon wrote:
The first thing I did when I got my ring today as pull out my RAZR and rub it all over the phone, seems to have absolutely no effect Smile

My Blackberry Pearl has a mag switch that's designed to blank the display and lock the buttons when placed in the proper holster (with a magnetic flap).

My wallet is on the opposite side, so I typically reach for that with my non-ring hand. So far, so good.

I have to be careful while wearing the ring as I'll lock the phone just by picking it up.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I had a pair I wore in my shoes, strong 'ens.
They started setting off store alarms, so I took them out and threw them in the place I keep my wallet and stuff.
My credit cards, all of them were unusable the next day, and it turns out the magnet reset the chip or whatever they put in the shoes to prevent theft. Whatever the case the lady at the store had to run them over her (Whatever that thing is called) to make it so I couldn't set off the alarms anymore.

So take whatever chances you want with your own stuff, but be cautious when your playing around with other peoples things, I would say.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Sabrina
View Profile
New user
Dallas, Texas
99 Posts

Profile of Sabrina
Now I read this, after my debit card has been erased while just filling up with gas while wearing my ring. Holding it in the same hand as the ring wiped out it's magnetic stripe data.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » How Sensitive Is a Credit Card to a PK Ring? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL