The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Al Leech (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
I don't know if I'm going back far enough in time for this thread, but this is the only thread that looked close to what I wanted to post.

I've got some old Al Leech Booklets, and I really love his work. His material was a main chunk of my Repertoire for the longest time. I was wondering if anyone has any information on him. I'd like to study him a little.

Birthdate
Where he lived when he performed
List of his publications
etc...

Any information about him would be very much appreciated. I figured I could google or wiki him, but I'd rather get the info from magicians here on the Café.

Thanks in advance.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Al was from Chicago. I don't know his birthdate, but he died in 1974. There was a large group of magicians in Chicago, where he was based, who were adamant followers of his work. These people often were at odds with the followers of Marlo. I don't know how much personal animus there was between Leech and Marlo. Leech was a full-time pro. Marlo was an innovator and occasionally performed professionally, but he was a full-time tool and die maker. Marlo's work on cards reflects the meticulous nature of his profession.

Leech had some wonderful material.

Here is a thread with some of it listed:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=2

And here are a couple of gems:

Leech, Al: Leech's Legacy. Platform Wild Card, Bicycle Built for Profit, Snap Change, Coin & Cards, The Coin Star, Ball Manipulation, Chicago Balls, Color Changing Balls, Thimble Theme, Thimbles Unanimous, Rainbow Thimbles, and more. 125 pages. $10 Magic Inc.

Leech, Al: All of Leech. Includes 6 of Leech's books: Al Leech's Legacy, Handbook of Card Sleights, Don't Look Now (The Smart Slant on Misdirection), For Card Men Only, Manipulating With Leech, and Card Man Stuff. Hardcover spiral bound. $30 Magic Inc.

That's from http://magicref.tripod.com/magref/magball.htm
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2693 Posts

Profile of sethb
Al Leech's pamphlet on misdirection, "Don't Look Now," which is noted above, is excellent and a real bargain for only $7. This is the real work on misdirection, and also contains some very good thoughts on presentation in general.

It's available from Midwest Magic, click HERE for more info. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
Bill,

Believe it or not, I wrote this post with you in mind, knowing that you would be the guy to ask, and hoping that you would find the post. You came through, as always. Thank you so much for your generous contributions to the Café and to the magic world in general.

Thank you!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I wish I had more specific information than this. Part of my post was based on a conversation I had with Harry Riser back when I was in high school almost 50 years ago! But I remembered the part about the factions in the Chigago card men. Another friend of mine was there when all of this was going on, so I verified the information with him.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Thanks for sharing Bill. Your insights are truly gems.

Andy
Cards never lie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Al Leech (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL