The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Why Doves? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
In speaking of Dyes I'm getting pretty tired of looking at a white dove and I am looking into dying my dove, what food coloring brand should I use? or does it matter?
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
nitemares666
View Profile
New user
Michigan
46 Posts

Profile of nitemares666
How about Pigeon will the work ? and plus they fly back home do doves and they also come in many colors
BalukMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto, Canada
317 Posts

Profile of BalukMagic
The type of pigeons that return home are harder to train because they want to go to home when they fly not back to you.

Doves come in some of the same (flat) colours pigeons do...
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1379 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
I have used pigeons! I used a fantail pigeon in a dove pan for a long time. They really don't fly far and are sort of funny looking. Their tail sticks up like a fan. Pigeons are much bigger than doves and they ARE messy and when they "go" on stage. (And they "go" in great quantity...Not at all like a teeny dove poop.) It can be bad if they happen to get your clothes.

Last year, I did a production at a memorial performance and released 15 white homing pigeons from a basket behind me. It was really pretty. You can probably get with a wedding dove release company if you want to add this to your outdoor show. The effect is stunning!
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
nitemares666
View Profile
New user
Michigan
46 Posts

Profile of nitemares666
Do dove come back home ?
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20508 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Nitemares666,

Magicians' Doves have absolutely no sense of homing. I frequently tell people that mine could not find the back yard from the back porch.

There is another interesting characteristic of these doves (scientifically researched). You can move their nests up and down with no fear of abandoned nests. However, moving the nests even a short distance (less than a foot) laterally frequently results in a lost nest! (Let's not look right or left! There are only ups and downs in a dove's world.) Apparently, even chickens are smarter.

Speaking of chickens, Matilda is officially certified as the world's oldest chicken. She spent 16 years doing magic! She is the ONLY magician's assistant to ever have a broken wand (broken perch) ceremony. Her video will play at the Cavalcade of Magic convention March 30-31, 2007 in the tribute "Ladies of Magic".

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
I like the definition of a dove being the bird equivalent of a "cow" Smile

I got my first one last night, and it's sooooo nice not to bit.

That certainly can't be said about my cockatiel or parakeets when new.
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
@Fraser,

Nice parrots with a magi-friendly tails are the Senegal or Meyers.

Their tails are very short, making them less prone to breakage/bending.

I played with three hand-fed ones yesterday in a shop.

They kept fighting over each for my head scratches Smile
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1521 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Ha! My cockatiel still bites and it's not new anymore!
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
My cockatiel hasn't biten from day one.

I bought it hand-fed, and it's very tame.

Always pushing it's beak under my hand to be petted.

Just like a puppy.
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
Pigeons are more intelligent than Doves, and thus can do more amazing things, Ali Bongo was telling me of a show he was working on where for one act he had to go up to the balcony and empty a basket of pigeons over the audience, they'd fly over them and land on the two girls outstretched arms. However, they're much bigger than Doves, and thus much harder to bodyload... size is an important part of bird magic.

Paul
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Laymen always mistaken doves for pigeons, well from my experience. There is a big difference! one easily mistaken bird is the Rock Dove, it looks like a mix between a black bird and a pigeon! here is the secret...Its a Dove! a very large dove!
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
that_magic_guy
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of that_magic_guy
I use a sun conure in addition to doves as an ending they are about the same size
as a dove and it makes for a very colorful finish
the AuditOrr
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of the AuditOrr
Quote:
On 2007-04-10 10:18, that_magic_guy wrote:
I use a sun conure in addition to doves as an ending they are about the same size
as a dove and it makes for a very colorful finish

How do you find the feathers work? And what about their screeching(I read that they're horrible screechers)? I don't own any sun conures however I wanted to buy some as pets as well as magic assistants.

Fraser
I want to go far...
The Hitchhiker
View Profile
Regular user
England
150 Posts

Profile of The Hitchhiker
Do you guys hang around till the early hours getting the doves down from the rafters after a show.

Jason.
that_magic_guy
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of that_magic_guy
I haven't had any problems with the feathers and as far as the screeching goes mine do but not when they are in the harness.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20508 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2007-04-14 20:20, The Hitchhiker wrote:
Do you guys hang around till the early hours getting the doves down from the rafters after a show.

Jason.

Jason,

A skilled crew with the follower spot can save a lot of those problems. Good lighting techs have saved my show many times. I'm always grateful for the guys in black. Sometimes they get credit for keeping the guys in the white coats away! LOL

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
My cockatiel constantly screeches and it hurts my ears, but they are considered on a low side of the parrot screeching scale compared to a conure Smile

P.S. My new dove is so quiet though. It coos for about 2 seconds once or twice a day and that's it. Very peaceful.
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
The Hitchhiker
View Profile
Regular user
England
150 Posts

Profile of The Hitchhiker
Quote:
A skilled crew with the follower spot can save a lot of those problems. Good lighting techs have saved my show many times. I'm always grateful for the guys in black. Sometimes they get credit for keeping the guys in the white coats away! LOL

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Haha good thing too Bob, I was beginning to wonder if my imagination was running away with me or nobody wanted to think about my scenario.

Cheers

Ja.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20508 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2007-04-14 20:20, The Hitchhiker wrote:

Jason.

I think David Ginn and I can admit to having that experience in TV studios. The doves go to the light in the highest spot available. (They never read the script!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Why Doves? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL