The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Is this good? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Smoke & Mirrors
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Smoke & Mirrors
Can anyone vouch for this item?
Oddball by Oberon
http://hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/product......tem=8295

It sounds good. I just don't have much $ to waste right now.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I saw someone perform something at a Ring meeting that seems to match the description here. There are versions of this out there, Max Maven has one on his Parlor Mentalism tape. When the gentleman performed it, the second person to draw from the bag ended up having the black ball.
Smoke & Mirrors
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Thanks Josh. I went ahead and got this one. Oddball by Marc Oberon. Three to Five balls are shaken in a bag, each person reaches in the bag and selects a ball, hiding it in their hand. Instantly the magi can tell who has the white balls and who has the single black ball.

Here's my review:

Pluses:

It's small enough, bag and all to fit in your pocket, good for hopping.

You can fit other small things in there and use it for a series at a table.

It's very effective so long as you don't have the guy at your table who wants to see everything all at once.

It's very simple, no reset, nothing to hide, no magnets, no peeks, they grab the ball, you can perform it again right away (in this case it helps the illusion)

You can use your own bag, even a paper bag, maybe a small one from your restaurant.

Minuses:

You need at least 3 people at the table but preferable 4 or 5 for maximum impact.

Non-examinable (all at once) but they are allowed to grab any ball, so it shouldn't need examination.

Overall I think it's a great addition to a set. If you have any questions just ask me.

Thanx, Aaron
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
Aaron - I have a version of this that I perform, based off of Max Maven's routine, but which uses a different method. This allows me to know with certainty which ball has been chosen. Are you able to tell 100% of the time which spectator has the ball with this method? If I'm going to peform this stand-up, I have to be sure it will work everytime. Thanks for the review -

Bill
Smoke & Mirrors
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Hi Bill, I have tried it at least 20 times since yesterday and have been 100%. It is a very sneaky idea! I have no worries of failure with this. But if your routine is working fine I see no reason to change. Thanx, aaron.
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
The reason I am considering this is because Christopher Williams said that you could have an audience member hold the bag while the balls are removed. The routine I have is structured in such a way that the effect is repeated 3 times, getting more impossible each time. If I could let the spectator hold the bag for the final phase, that would be a big plus for me. Thanks for the info -

Bill
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
How exactly does something get "more impossible"? LOL
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I like Max Maven's routine from the video. The method is deviously simple, as with most of his stuff, and it can be done anywhere, anytime with borrowed objects and a bag. Awesomely impromptu! No gaffs. And as mentioned, 100%.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Smoke & Mirrors
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Hi Bill, yes then this might be for you. There are several ways to do this and one way is to give the bag out to a spec, have them sneak a ball out, then hand the bag back to you (you only hold it by the drawstring) where you then hand the bag out to the 2nd spec, etc. until all the balls are gone. Without taking the bag back you can then do your "reading".

And in a larger group (performing for a whole room) there is a way you could this without EVER touching the bag at all.

Michael, I would be interested to see if these routines are similar to each other? They might be.
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Quick question. Without trying to sound a bit strange, how big are the balls (and bag)? Compared to a quarter, what are the size of the balls?

Thanks,
Steve
Smoke & Mirrors
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Steve, the balls are slightly wider than a quarter, so... about 26 cents worth? Smile

The black velvet-like bag holds the 5 balls and a deck of cards and a silk and a TT and that's about all.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Quote:
On 2007-03-18 14:20, Michael Baker wrote:
I like Max Maven's routine from the video. The method is deviously simple, as with most of his stuff, and it can be done anywhere, anytime with borrowed objects and a bag. Awesomely impromptu! No gaffs. And as mentioned, 100%.

~michael

I like Max's effect too, but after seeing this performed, I'm about ready to order one myself. I was sitting there thinking, "Yeah, yeah...Video Mind Vol. 1..." but was thoroughly impressed.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Is this good? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL