The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » What are all the free music websites online? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24100 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I already know about: http://www.freeplaymusic.com
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
802 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Hi, Mike!
According to FreePlay's terms of use, although it depends upon your specific application, the music at FreePlay is not free for most applications by Magic Café magicians. Essentially, it's intended for use in national US TV, and in feature-length major-studio US films, although it does allow very limited exceptions. These exceptions do not allow for "live use", do not allow for anything that is associated with direct or indirect revenue generation, and do not allow for most non-profit use.

The following is excerpted from http://www.freeplaymusic.com/licensing/termsofuse.php . I've bolded what I think are the pertinent passages.

"If you are using Freeplay Music for:

1. *Programming content to be included in an ASCAP, BMI or SESAC licensed National US TV Broadcast, as well as later rebroadcasts of the same within the US (EXCLUDES Local-only TV, Regional-only TV, Public and Community Access TV, Closed Circuit TV, Web Broadcasts, Advertising Commercials or Promos, and any Radio Broadcast use.)

2. Feature-Length Films for U.S. theatrical release by a major U.S. film studio (in exchange for music cue sheet compliance*)

Then Freeplay Music´s compositions and recordings may be used (broadcast, synchronized and/or copied) without a fee. These reproduction rights, known as Master Recording and Synchronization rights, are absolutely FREE and are granted in perpetuity, provided a Freeplay Music is accorded appropriate screen credit as follows, with size and placement on a most favored nations basis with all other music providers: "Music Provided By http://www.freeplaymusic.com". In addition, provided the first broadcast appears on a U.S. National Network Broadcast (non Cable), then, Videocassette/DVD Master Recording and Synchronization rights fees are also FREE."

If you are using Freeplay Music for:
"3. Personal Non-Commercial Use (Non-revenue generating or associated) Personal use does not include any broadcast use - web, blog, podcast or other
4. Educational, Non-Commercial use (limited to student use on school grounds for in classroom projects- non broadcast)

Then Freeplay Music's compositions and recordings may be used without a fee ..."

"If you are using Freeplay Music for:
1. Local, regional, or any non-ASCAP/BMI licensed broadcast television use
2. Local, regional, or any non-licensed cable television use
3. Television use premiering outside the US
4. Advertising and Promo use
5. All Radio Use
6. Direct-to-video, DVD, CD, CDR DVDR or other including replication, distribution, promotional, or sale.

7. Books, Magazines, Games, Electronic and Toy Use
8. Non-Broadcast Multi Media Use (Live events, Power Point presentations, trade shows/conventions, etc.)
9. Music on Hold
10. Internet - Website Use (to promote a business, product, service or club)
11. Personal Website Use (Non-Commercial)

12. Wireless Content: Ring Tones / Blogs / Shareware / Freeware / Wireless Gaming, etc.
13. Greeting Cards / Email Greeting Cards / Email Brochures
14. Podcasting
15. Film Festivals / Competitions
16. Religious Use (most)
17. Non-Profit (most)

Then Freeplay Music requires a signed license agreement and a license fee payment as described in the Freeplay Music Rate Card."
Dan McLean Jr
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Freeplaymusic.com is actually not such a great deal. There's higher quality, royalty-free music, recorded with more live players, from more renound composers at better prices!
As Dan pointed out, freeplaymusic is not free music, all of it requires some type of license (although some of the licenses don't require a fee), and some of the licenses are quite pricey!

For example, most magicians would fall under "Non-Broadcast Multi Media Use (Live events, Power Point presentations, trade shows/conventions, etc.)" From their website, here's the rate schedule for that bracket:
Per Freeplay Title (per project, for each 4 minutes of use, per year)
One Time Use $85.00
Unlimited Multimedia Use - National $250.00
Unlimited Multimedia Use - Worldwide $400.00

$85 per 4 minutes of use per year is a terrible deal for royalty free music! Even Copperfield pays much less than that for main themes! You're better off getting the unlimited, but at $250/song for the quality they have, it's just not worth it. Just my thoughts!

P.s. Mike, please be aware this music is NOT " essentially...intended for use in national US TV, and in feature-length major-studio US films." as Dan said. He's close though. Freeplaymusic.com is what we refer to as production music, designed for "Promotional, Radio, Video and DVD production as well as Multimedia, Festival, Religious, Podcast and Web use." Major studios use their own composers for feature-length films, or occasionally purchase rights to higher quality licensed music, not this stuff!
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Check out cssmusic.com's super-themes for some higher-quality from David Wurst. They're one example of higher-quality tracks that might actually end up in a B production by a major studio, or a major multimedia production. Good luck!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24100 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thank you for the info Dan and Dearwiseone. I appreiate how you put your time in for the explanations. What is the deal with Napster?
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
903 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Napster these days is just another subscription service. In the old days, before they were sued and shut down, they were a "file sharing" service, which allowed people to swap music files they'd copied from CDs for free. In other words, the old Napster was organized theft.

When the company was shut down, someone else bought the name and logo and now uses it to sell their music subscription service. They've got a way that you pay a set fee per month for access to music tracks, which you are limited in what you can use them for, or what you can play them on.

If you're looking for royalty-free music for your performances, there's Opus 1 Productions for the slick type of music, and Arthur Stead for the family/kidshow type of music. With them, you buy the CD and can use it any way you need to for your shows. Also, both companies are run by magicians so they understand what you need.

Both of these websites let you listen to samples to see if you like their work.

http://www.opus1productions.com/
http://www.arthurstead.com/

Actually, I just checked out the samples from Arthur's "Make it Magic - Performance" CD and they're not the previous kidshow style music he did; there is some slick stuff there. I must've missed when he put that out. Take a look at that one, too.

Jeff
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24100 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I see what you mean about Napster, Jeff. I wanted to try a free week trial. I had to give my credit also. I'm going to try and cancel it now before they start to charge me.

Thank you for the two links. I will do some sight seeing with them tonight.

Dynamike
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24100 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Another one is http://www.limewire.com Of course they have a policy that has to be followed.
Tweet
View Profile
New user
Maryland
12 Posts

Profile of Tweet
I personally, would not download music from limewire. I hear that the "free" version is filled with viruses that can ruin your computer.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24100 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thank you for the info Tweet.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » What are all the free music websites online? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL