The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Useful amplifier? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I came across this unit and wanted to run it by you guys to see if you think it's of any value. I'm thinking for small venues where a full-blown sound system isn't necessary, but a little extra would be nice (outdoor strolling at festivals, or maybe even birthday parties). I once knew a bar magician who used something similar for 20 years and it really helped him to not strain his voice.

BTW, how much amplification will six watts produce?

callowayhouse.com While there, check out this eraser. It may be just the thing for Axtell's Dawing Board. It's supposed to "condition" the board to reduce ghosting.

callowayhouse.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Starrpower
Six watts of power would only be useful in a phone booth.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I have a version of this. I've had it for about 4 years and used it twice.

(On mine)The sound is pretty good. It's definitely a noticable and helpful, clear boost to your voice. For Birthday parties, it doesn't really work well.
Firstly, it just looks odd.
Secondly, if your performance is any way dynamic it's a bit ditracting to have all the extra weight strapped to your gut.
Thirdly, unless your standing up straight, facing the audience the speaker can get covered. I'm 6'4" so for kid's shows I do a lot of crouching down to speak to volunteers or just get on their level for a second, every time I did this the system disappeared into my frame becoming muffled and uncomfortable.

For outside shows for small crowds it might have it's merits. It's one of those things that might come into it's own on a small range of circumstances.

George
AndyComic
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of AndyComic
These are crap and the sound it awful but yes it does clean your white board.

Andy
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4619 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
It looks awful, the only way it would work is if you actually call attention to it and make it part of your act. Otherwise nobody will be watching what you're doing, they're going to be staring at your waist thinking "What the **** is that?"
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
You may find grafter's and pitch works using them.

You will also find many others of that profession sticking to a regular radio mike and speaker/amplifier set up.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
685 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Check this one out - it's a portable 20-watt system,$99 plus shipping - including hand-held or lapel mic - and I just started using one, and the principal at one of the schools where I teach music got two for school events and still had $100 left in his sound system budget. It weighs around 5lbs (the heaviest part is the AC adapter, though you can also batteries, or get a rechargeable battery pack for around $20 more. Anyway, I also used it at my bookstore program for kids and it was loud and clear. The unit itself is built by Nady.

I got this as a replacement for my Fender Passport P150 that is great for huge crowds, but weighs a ton and actually caused me to almost need arthroscopic surgery on my knees from carrying it. I will use the Fender for huge audiences, but this little one does the job everywhere else. You can even plug an ipod or music player into it... all the info is at this link.

http://www.dak.com/reviews/3010story.cfm
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
20 watt amp. with a mike for $99. What a deal. My mike alone cost me $250. I have a passport 150, and I'm not ready to replace it yet, but this is a good deal.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Most of these little units work great for music but the voice quality is generally bad.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1296 Posts

Profile of nucinud
I have the Nady 20 watt. It is not consistent. I find it fades in and out at some venues. I wish it worked all the time. Now I just use a wireless mic with a guitar amp. I heard a keyboard amp would work better. For large venues a Fender Passport is great. I borrowed one and I loved it.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
685 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
I just needed vocal volume for speaking and singing that I could carry in my shoulder bag. It isn't the Passport but for classroom and med-sized venues it seems to work fine for me. I did have a Radio Shack piece of garbage between the Fender and the Nady that had some volume but sounded like the announcers at the airport - you could tell I was clacking my gums but my words got quite muffled. I'm sure there are other portable units out there that might be a little more consistent signal-wise, though. But they probably will be more than $99...
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Starrpower,

This looks similar to the personal amp that James used to sell:

http://www.magicsells.com/
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
I've used the Sekaku 767 for about 4 years now. It is great for voice. It fills a school gym with plenty of clear voice. Music, does not seem to come through as well -- especially when speaking -- a bit too muddled sounding. When I bought mine, I got a special price at $100 (Florida Magic sells them for $385 -- which is too high I believe). It and a boom box goes with me to every show -- even if I have a larger venue with a nice sound system. It saves my voice at house parties, and my backside when the house system that was promised, is either not there or not functioning.

If I ever have to replace the Sekaku, I'll definitely look into the DAK system though.

As for the belt-version amplifier, I know James Munton was selling such an animal for a time. He uses it on his "Teach a Magic Class" video, and it seemed to work well. James? If you're there, do you still sell these?
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Is this DAk a well-known name?

Looks like it was made overseas.
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Nucinud,

What kind of wireless mic and guitar amp did you map together?

Thanks!
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
685 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
DAK put out fun-to-read catalogs in the 80's and I think advertised in Popular Science magazine - it's a name I remember from way back and is the same person.
Nady, who makes the unit, is a respected California company, but it wouldn't surprise me if the unit itself was indeed made in Asia.
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
I use a Florida Magic PA767. Very dependable and is quite compact:

floridamagic.bizhosting.com
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
The Florida System is great for certain situations and it is dependable for sure. If you want something for smaller shows it is the way to go!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13370 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
The Florida system was my first PA. In my opinion, it's horrible for the money.
For about the same price and only twice the weight you can get a professional carvin stagemate that sounds awesome with a built in mixer, the ability to add a second speaker, and multiple inputs. Or get a used Crate Limo.

Or for $75 you can get a Pignose.

Todd, I know you hate me by now but you should really check out a Pignose for small gigs.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1296 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Quote:
On 2007-03-16 18:30, Karol Kool wrote:
Nucinud,

What kind of wireless mic and guitar amp did you map together?

Thanks!

I use a Samson wireless mic (fits around my head) with a Roland Micro Cube and for bigger rooms a Fender Blues Jr. I also have a Pig Nose amp.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Useful amplifier? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL