The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Useful amplifier? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Quote:
On 2007-03-16 18:22, Scott O. wrote:
I've used the Sekaku 767 for about 4 years now. It is great for voice. It fills a school gym with plenty of clear voice. Music, does not seem to come through as well -- especially when speaking -- a bit too muddled sounding. When I bought mine, I got a special price at $100 (Florida Magic sells them for $385 -- which is too high I believe). It and a boom box goes with me to every show -- even if I have a larger venue with a nice sound system. It saves my voice at house parties, and my backside when the house system that was promised, is either not there or not functioning.

If I ever have to replace the Sekaku, I'll definitely look into the DAK system though.

As for the belt-version amplifier, I know James Munton was selling such an animal for a time. He uses it on his "Teach a Magic Class" video, and it seemed to work well. James? If you're there, do you still sell these?

That is why the new VSM boombox has two speakers. One for the voice and one for music. They NEED to be different. The Nady one might work well I am sure in time Todd will buy one and tell us about it.

I have a HISONIC HS321 35W PA for small shows. The music is great but the voice is not as full as I would like it.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Quote:
That is why the new VSM boombox has two speakers. One for the voice and one for music. They NEED to be different.

Yes, I know a single speaker can't be expected to do a everything at once. And that's why I bring the Sekaku PA767 AND a boombox. Larger "real" sound systems use a bass, midrange and tweeters to create that full range of sounds.

The VSM boombox sounds interesting though.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
When I originally posted, I wa asking about the particular amp that attacehd to the performer. But, since this has morphed into a thread about small, portable speaker/amps, here's the one I currently use - the Galaxy CORE PA 5X140 Powered 5" Monitor. I originally bought it as a monitor speaker for my hypnosis shows to insure that those onstage could hear my insructions (I run my VOICE ONLY through it, not the sound effects, music, etc., so I con be cleary heard by the on-stage guests.)

This little goldmine ROCKS. It's about the size of a lunchbox, LOUD (146 watts, 40-ounce magnet!), and mounts on a standard mic. stand. See it here:

musiciansfriend.com
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
A link for the VSM for those who don't know aboutit:

http://www.virtualsoundman.com/boombox.html

Interesting enough, Jeff McBride use to use a boom box in smaller venues.

Or perhaps stll does.
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
I don't hate you Frank! I just have found things that work for me and my show!
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
So, is there any consensus on what would be appropriate for a library or small gym setting?
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
No, Karol. there never can be. There are too many variables ( and too many alternatives) for there to be ever any consensus.

Some people will need one system for different types of venue whilst others will invest in several different systems or combinations. What will suit you won't suit another.

But, go back to basics. if your library shows are little more than big house party size, do you need sound? What's wrong with a natural human voice?

Go and join some theatre group and learn voice production. Go and take some singing lesions. There you'll learn to breath and produce your voice.

I still go through my basic voice exercises, usually en route to the show and in the privacy of my car. Just make sure you're not being observed when stuck at traffic lights!
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
I agree with Tony, in that sometimes I don't feel the need for vocal amplification in very small venues. Having said that, I still may need something to play music with. I use a boombox sometimes for the small places when I don't need voice amplification but still want to do my musical routines.

Regan
Mister Mystery
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
For smaller venues, I use my Pyle Pro.
I also don't always need voice amplification, but it is great to play my music only.
Max

pyleaudio.com
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
And I too take my Coomber for the music. This is a one box with everything within - CD or tape, radio receiver/s for radio mike/s, all the usual inputs and outputs plus built in batteries with automatic charging.

Now here's a tip. I can drop that down anywhere and it works without mains power. Public places in the UK have very - repeat, very few power points. They are considered potentially dangerous in case people or children put something in and get an electric shock.

Yes, it's unlikely but that's the situation. And extension leads are forbidden in public places too. So go to a library, store, shopping mall, you name it and you may well need batteries for power.

Having said that, you can have a run in these places being located right near a power point!! That's life!!!
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
ninjaduffy
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
332 Posts

Profile of ninjaduffy
djmmusic.com

This is much better.
Brian S. Tanner
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Brian S. Tanner
If you want good sound out of a small system that you (or someone else) can carry to a gig with one arm, and if it's within your budget , get a 30 - 50 watt keyboard amplifier.

Reason 1 is: The speaker in a keyboard amp are more tuned for the human voice and music than that of a guitar or a bass guitar amp.

Secondly : Most keyboard amps have multiple channels. Each with it's own volume control. A built-in mixer, if you will.

Finally : Many keyboard amps can be mounted on speaker stands for better area coverage.
Judge:How do you plead?
<BR>Defendant:I plead insanity.
<BR>Judge:Insanity?
<BR>Defendant:Yep. I'm just crazy about that stuff!
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
What is a keyboard amplifier? Can you give us a link to an example?
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1802 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Hey Mark,

A keyboard amplifier is like an electric guitar amplifier but tuned for electric keyboards. As such, they are much better matched to human voice than a guitar amp.

I found a really nice small AC powered monitor/keyboard amp. It's a Roland CM-30. Rather than explain it again. Here's a link to a thread where I posted a great deal about it: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=30

My post is at the top of the page.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Michael
TV Magic Pal
View Profile
New user
Dogtown up in the 'Lou
62 Posts

Profile of TV Magic Pal
Keyboard amplifiers are actually most closely related to bass amplifiers with slightly different preamp sections.

And again, watts are not a real measure of sound production. In fact, wattage is not even the proper term for anything to do with sound amplification as it is a DC-based measure. The proper term is Volt-amp (VA). The real problems with these measures are that A) neither VA nor W address sound level and B) there is no universal agreement for how to arrive at the wattage or VA rating. There are at least three commonly used methods, measuring completely different operations, that I am familiar with being used by manufacturers. Typically, all are employed and the biggest number is selected by the marketing department... Sound is measured by decibels (dB), which is not a linearly progressive measure (ie 50dB is not the same as 10dB plus 40dB) and almost NEVER mentioned. Efficiency has a great deal to do with all of this... a "60W" car stereo set-up came within a couple of dB of producing the same amount of sound as a space shuttle launch!
Michael L.

Magic is a lie. It is our job to convince the audience to overlook the lie and our goal to make them embrace it.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1601 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Mini Vox is the way to go. I don't leave home without it. Smile http://anchoraudio.com/minivox.php

I have a wireless headset. It's VERY LOUD and lightweight.
Check it ouuuuuuuuuuut! Smile
Brian S. Tanner
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Brian S. Tanner
Quote:
On 2007-04-20 20:26, Starrpower wrote:
What is a keyboard amplifier? Can you give us a link to an example?

Here are several keyboard amps here. I particularly like the Roland amps. They sound great , and can be mounted on a speaker pole.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/key/navig......1+304710
Judge:How do you plead?
<BR>Defendant:I plead insanity.
<BR>Judge:Insanity?
<BR>Defendant:Yep. I'm just crazy about that stuff!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Useful amplifier? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL