The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Chicago in April (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scaress
View Profile
Veteran user
salt lake city
337 Posts

Profile of scaress
Hi all,
I'll be in Chicago for (non-performing) business in April. Are there any hotspots I should be looking for as far as street performers? Is Chicago cold in April?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Cold is a relative term. If you mean can you put on a nice polo shirt and pair of slacks and not die from exposure the answer is no, you'll die.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
It's amazing how, if it's been 55 - 60 degrees, and it goes to 39 we all shiver and get another blanket. When it's been 9 - 18 degrees and it goes <up> to 39 we all breath a sigh of relief that it's not so nasty!

Having said that, anything under 39 is still <too> cold to be standing around a sidewalk watching a magician. For that matter, it's too cold to be standing around a sidewalk <being> a magician!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Amon
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
134 Posts

Profile of Amon
On michigan avenue across from borders where the old water tower is there are sometimes performers in that area. Also there seems to always be doorway musicians and bucket players out any where randomly on Michigan Ave on summer nights. As for April, you might see some folks out if its not bad weather. I would suggest you stop in and say hi to the folks at Magic Inc. on Lincoln Ave as well. Maybe Lee Darrow will also be able to weigh in here since I have been gone from Chicago for a couple of years now. Have fun!
here and now
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I saw a few buskers out near the new Millenium Park when I was there last summer. Great location for a pitch if you ask me! Also check out Ash's Magic shop a few blocks away from Magic Inc.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Just out of curiousity. Who's running Magic Inc. now that the founders are gone? Is it still going to be a going concern? Most definately one of the landmarks in magic dealership and I'd like to see it keep going.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I believe Chris Marshall is running it.
mrmystic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
200 Posts

Profile of mrmystic
Scaress to answer your questions first, it can be very nice and warm in the 70's in Chicago in April, or there could be a snowstorm, I have seen both. As far as street performing the location mentioned above (Water Tower, Millenium Park) are great places. The problem is a street performers license is required and are expensive and difficult to obtain on short notice.
Magic Inc. is still open and will be in April. They are working hard on some big sales and auctions and the future is unsure after that. Both of Jay's grandsons Chris and Sandy JR. are involved in running the place as well as T. Daniels. Stop in while you can. There are other great shops in the area as well.
scaress
View Profile
Veteran user
salt lake city
337 Posts

Profile of scaress
Cool, thanks guys.

I'll check out those places. especially the magic shops, the last magic store in Salt Lake closed a while back.

I'll pack my shorts and my long underware just in case.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I am not going to be in Chicago anytime in the near future. However, I do wish Magic Inc. well and hope it prospers in these shaky times.
P.T. Murphy
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of P.T. Murphy
Visit Midwest Magic. Check out Neil Tobin's show at the Excalibur. When will you be in town? Drop me a line.
P.T. Murphy
www.ptmurphy.com
mrmystic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
200 Posts

Profile of mrmystic
Well it's April in Chicago. Did you think I was kidding? Yesterday it was in the 70's and today it is in the low 30's and snowing. They don't call me Mr. Mystic for nothing.
scaress
View Profile
Veteran user
salt lake city
337 Posts

Profile of scaress
Update,
chicago was great. it was a bit cold for street performing though (snowstorm on wed.).
I had time for neils show at the excalibur and to visit magicinc.

I have to say, magicinc was a real treat. very greatful to you guys for recommending it for me. I wanted to thank Robert for giving me the tour, I'll never forget it.
mrmystic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
200 Posts

Profile of mrmystic
Glad you had a good time in our town. It's back to sunny and beautiful again.
magicbillk
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of magicbillk
Beautiful... Sunny today, Rainy tomorrow...
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice." -Dunninger

www.magicbillk.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Chicago in April (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL